Is my processor running too hot?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Comer, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I have a P4 3G (not overclocked) with a Zalman flower fan. I run the fan at about 2,200 RPM (the lowest being 1,500 and the highest speeds being 2,500). When I start the PC the CPU is running at about 50 degrees C but if I play any HI-Def meterial (that has the processor usage at 100%) the CPU temp can go up as high as 70 degrees C. Is this something I should be worrying about or is this temperature safe for this processor

Conor

2. ukbubs

ukbubs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1mb l2 cache or 512kb? (I bet its 1meg....):)

That seems a bit hot when under load - try turning the fan up full.

I've got the same setup, and my cpu maxes out at around 60

3. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    ukbuns,

It's 512kb cache and even with the fan on full last night it still hit temps of over 70degrees when working at 100% last night. Temp of my system is about 35degrees. I wonder what is the max temp a processor like that can run at?

Thanks

Conor

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,210
    It will stop working before it physically damages itself...probably.
    70C is hot but its probably not doing any damage ( the machine is stable?)

My 3.2 northwood runs at 40C idle and gets to about 60C under full load .
    This is with a zalman cooler and 2 92mm fans on the same bracket. ( both running at the lowest setting)

Only other fan in the case is a silenx 80mm on the front intake and an arctic cooler on the 9800 pro ( which is great and also helps to suck air out of the case).

I used to have a 1.4 P3 which regularly hit 75C under full load but was/is perfectly stable.

5. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    hi conor,

Those temps do seem quite extreme, is it one of the original flower coolers (the ones with the fan on a bracket over the cooler) you have or a 7000Cu (the one with the integral fan)? The temps I posted for you in the other thread are using a 7000Cu, which I believe is a more efficient system.

As Mr. D says these temps shouldn't harm your CPU and Intels are quite good at turning themselves off/down if they get too hot (unlike athlons which just catch fire).

What thermal paste did you use and how did you apply it, maybe that has something to do with it?

Maybe an idea to try watercooling again ;) :rotfl: :rotfl: :D

Owain

6. ukbubs

ukbubs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 3.0 512k prescott never goes above 45degc (unlike the 1mb monster), and my zalman flower fan (7000 cu from memory) runs as slow as possible. case temp max around 35degc.

If you've got that kind of cpu heat build up, somthing isn't right imho. What case / extractor fan setup do you have?

7. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    We've built six P4 3.2 (Northwood) PCs, with Zalman 7000Al/Cu coolers. Tickover temps are 30C at best, to about 36C, probably depending on how well I applied the thermal paste (Arctic Silver V).

Just for the record, they're in soundproofed Coolermaster Wavemaster cases (lined with "magic fleece"), running ultra low noise Papst fans (2 temp controlled intake, 1 exhaust). The Zalmans are running at about 2100 RPM. Ambient office temp is currently 24C.

Typically running at full load will add up to 20C to the base temp.

Although those temps of yours are not dangerous, they may shorten the life of your CPU, so I'd recommend you try another cooler (I can vouch for the 7000Al/Cu, or you could try the pure copper version if you want to be more extreme).

8. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Don't forget a liberal spreading of thermal paste is actually very bad for conduction of heat, maybe you put too much on?

9. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    I have a Coolermaster 620 (desktop style) case which has almost no space inside due to having 2 x DVD units, 2 x S-ATA drives and all the usual gubbins. I run with an Enermax PSU turned doiwn to it's minimum, a Zalman flower 7000CU cooler running at 1500 rpm and a 60mm Silenx case fan and fanless ATI graphics card (and it's still too loud :( )

Mobo temp at idle is about 35C with CPU temp at about 36C and rises to a maximum 40C and 43C respectively when under load. I would be very concerned if my CPU was running at 70C. The two HDDs run at a max temp of 43C also.

Oh yes, it also sits in my Optimum rack directly above the (heat generator) Denon A1SR amp.

10. stevieboyyyy

stevieboyyyy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    My P4 3.0E is 50'C at idle, gets up to 65'C at full load.

11. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Thanks for all the replys. It would seem (from the temps posted in this thread) that do have something to worry about. I think I'll try a second case fan and have a look at how much paste is between the fan and processor

Thanks

Conor

12. Ajax

Ajax
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello,

I have a P4 3Ghz Oc'd to 3.45Ghz and a Zalman Flower Fan. The fan is set to 2400 rpm and the temp of the CPU is only 35 Deg.

AJAX.

13. stevieboyyyy

stevieboyyyy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    What P4 family and how big is the onboard cache?

14. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    I reckon your P4E is running a tad warm too Stevie. I've just looked at my 3.0 Northwood here at home, and even in a Coolermaster 220 series chassis, which has no intakes at all (just 2 exhausts), is fully lined, and a Zalman at 2300RPM, it's only 44C at idle (oh and I've got a 5900 vid card in there warming things up nicely too!)

15. stevieboyyyy

stevieboyyyy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    My processor is a Prescott P4 3E ... I think that the Prescott is known for it's heat issues ... but would like a better solution as when the BIOS turns the fans up to max it gets a little louder than I really want.

16. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    Ah..Prescott. Say no more. From what I've heard you're probably doing quite well getting 50C! :rolleyes:

17. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    sorry to hijack the thread but if i was to buy a barton xp 3200 processor which memory would i need?

18. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    Depends on how much money you're willing to chuck at it really. Assuming you're going for a dual channel DDR400 motherboard, the top performer is PC3200 Low Latency. The best I've used so far is:

OCZ PC-3200 EL-DDR Dual Channel Platinum Limited Edition (limited edition RAM...the world has finally gone mad!!!) from www.chillblast.com

That out performs Corsair PC3200LL matched pairs by a few percent. If you're on a budget, the Kingmax "Turbo" stuff from www.aria.com seems to work nicely in AMD boards. If you want to go cheaper still, you can go down to PC2700 and to be honest you won't notice a huge difference except in your wallet (1GB of the OCZ is £267, vs £134 for the Kingmax, and I can assure you that you won't see 100% more performance with the OCZ!)

19. esta56

esta56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Can someone tell me how I check the temp of my cpu? Is there way of doing this in Windows XP?

20. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Download Speedfan

21. esta56

esta56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Well, I downloaded Speedfan expecting it to say something like 'The temperature of you CPU is 45C'. But no, it's a technical bit of software with no explanation and all sorts of temps and codes I have no idea what they are referring to. Some temps are as high as 127C!! I don't know what this is. What are Temp 1, Temp 2, Fan 1, Fan 2 etc. In the Configure screen Temp 1 is the 'Winbond W83627THF'!! Wow, I've always wanted one of those, hope it's vanilla flavour!! Aaaahhhh!!!

God, I hate software that assumes knowledge and doesn't have a beginners guide.

So, is there any other software or method for detecting the CPU temp, one that a simpleton like me will understand

22. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    If you don't want to be messing with things like speedfan then a simpler way is to power off your PC, when it is booting up press Del (well, usually Del, sometimes F8 or something else, it should say on the BIOS POST screen (the text that comes up when you turn your PC on)) <---wow! double brackets!

In there somewhere should be a temp reading for your PC, do this after its been on for a while and it should be close to the idle temp for your PC when running windows, obviously if you do it after its been off for a week it may be a bit low to start.

owain

23. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    On this PC (not my HCPC) my cpu temp is 39 deg and my case temp is 33 deg (see the attachment). I only have one fan so this is the speed of the cpu fan

Hope this helps

Conor

Attached Files:

24. pth323

pth323

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there, ive just built a pc with a prescott p4 3.0ghx on a gigabyte motherboard, it was working fine to start with, but i checked the bios and it showed the cpu was running at over 80 deg c, which after reading a few forums have realised is "damn hot" it has the standard fan that came with the cpu on it which had some grey putty attached i presumed to help the heat transfer, i thought this could be the problem so removed it and applied some thermal cream instead, now it reaches 96 and shuts off. can someone please help as i am new to this and dont know wether i have done something wrong or if i have some faulty parts, the case also has 2 fans and im using a jantech 400w power supply. i realise that the intel heat sink may not be good enough but 96 deg is crazy!!!!!!!!!! please email or post if you have any suggestions,
    thanks, pete

25. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    As the program's FAQ says:

This means the program can't know which temp. is which. Many motherboards come with a utility that can report temperatures which 'know' what sensor is which.

On my system I have "temp 1.", "temp 2." and "temp 3.", right now they're reading:

25, 25, 34

Clearly the last one is the CPU, a proint proven by doing what the FAQ suggests:

26. stevieboyyyy

stevieboyyyy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Is the fan blowing *into* the processor? If not, it should be (well, 95% of fans should blow into the processor).