Is my plasma just going to reflect my lightbulbs?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by peejay, Jul 28, 2003.

1. peejay

peejay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I mounted a plasma above my fireplace, it would be perfectly positioned to reflect the light fitting hanging from the ceiling. I've done the measuring and the sums, and that's basically it. So how reflective are plasma screens? Would it notice? Would I have to switch off the main light and light the room some other way when watching TV, assuming I want to watch what's on the TV rather than a reflection of the light fitting?

I know I could mount it on an angle bracket, but again I've done the sums and nothing less then 15 degrees tilt would work, and then, far from having a slim, elegant flat screen flush with the wall, you'd have a wacking great big screen thing seemingly falling off the wall and sticking out almost a foot at the top.

I have my eye on an Hitachi incidentally.

Grateful for any comments,

Peter

2. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had the same concerns as you.

Just switch the lights off. You'll have enough light coming from the screen to be able to do most things by.

3. Phatboy

Phatboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have mounted my panny 5 over the fireplace and went for non tilt mount to keep it as slim as poss. I am lucky and have wall lights. If i leave on the two lights behind my viewing sofa i get reflections which diminish the screen. My family don't notice but i do!

Best solution is either a small lamp by seating area or lamp/ wall lights slightly behind screen ie in recess either side of chimney. For best result all main ligfhts off and small lamp to see furniture or remote .

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    Peter

Yes its going to reflect your light source.

A Unicol PTX only adds 20mm to the rear of the display when in the upright position and has settings at 5, 10 and 15 degrees and even at 15 wont be 300mm out from your wall.

Best regards

Joe

PS Not sure what others think but I hate watching a screen with a central overhead light illuminating the room (reflections or not).

5. bluebear

bluebear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    peejay,

Yes it will, I also had the same concerns as you.

I have a Unicol flush mounted bracket above my fireplace.

I have two table lamps, one in each corner of the room on the same wall as the Plasma.

I don't get any reflections as all.
    I was told (I think by Joe Fernand, good tip M8) that getting a angled version of the mount will stop the reflections.

But, I do like the flush mount as it does look so cool with only a few inches away from the wall.

I was thinking of back lighting the plasma with a deep red light, for these winter nights...
    I got a living fire below the plasma, which gives a lovely glow.

Can't wait for those winter nights, as I will be in heaven with my Plasma on and the fire glowing away.

Regards,

Bluebear.
    :cool:

6. peejay

peejay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the replies. I think it's funny the way we arrange our front rooms around the television. I should get a couple of candles and maybe some incense.

I think I'll go for a tilt bracket, and experiment. Try it flat, try it tilted. Are they easy to muck about with or is this a major undertaking?

As to how far a tilted screen would stick out, my sums make it about 25-27cm at 15 degrees (I exaggerated when I said a foot). That's assuming I've remembered my trigonometry correctly.

Peter