Is my Pioneer pdp lx5090 faulty?

homey

Standard Member
Reaction score
My 10 month old lx5090 displays what looks like a black mountain range, top and bottom of screen. This only happens when the set is switched on but only if it has been off for more than a couple of hours. It disappears in a few seconds, longer if it is cold. It does seem to be temperature related. Other than that I am delighted with it but I'm a bit concerned that it may have a fault which could progressively worsen. Would appreciate any comments.

PS. I have attached a picture of the offending "mountain ranges"

Attachments

• pio lx5090.jpg
    pio lx5090.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 163
That is a spectacular fault - most impressive!

I'd get it sorted out ASAP.

Steve

This appears to happen to my 5090 when I first switch it on from cold i.e. at the mains and not just from standby. However mine only does this while the backgorund is still grey. If the display managed to show a tv image quick enough it would look exactly like that, but the 'mountain effect' disappears in literally a second with the normal tv image following about 5-10 seconds after that. Never really thought much of it till i saw your image!

Edit: In fact I also remember seeing this effect on my parents KRP-500A, but again only when the display first powers up and there is no image displayed other than grey backlit screen. Maybe it's just the pixels charging up, or something to that effect?

Last edited:
This appears to happen to my 5090 when I first switch it on from cold i.e. at the mains and not just from standby. However mine only does this while the backgorund is still grey. If the display managed to show a tv image quick enough it would look exactly like that, but the 'mountain effect' disappears in literally a second with the normal tv image following about 5-10 seconds after that. Never really thought much of it till i saw your image!

Edit: In fact I also remember seeing this effect on my parents KRP-500A, but again only when the display first powers up and there is no image displayed other than grey backlit screen. Maybe it's just the pixels charging up, or something to that effect?

Mine used to only display this effect when switched on from cold as yours does, but lately it does the same when switched on from standby. I still think its unbeatable for picture quality. I will however be contacting Pioneer, but going by the comments on these forums regarding their customer service, wont hold my breath.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom