Is my Philips Ondigital box knackered or just rubbish!

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by RockStar, Oct 26, 2004.

1. RockStar

RockStar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello...

I use an old Philips Ondigital box to get Freeview/TUTV
    I used to think that the picture break-up I experience was caused by vehicles passing my house on the road outside.
    Now I'm not so sure. I seem to get this random break-up without any reason... sometimes half the picture freezes and half continues. Sometimes the sound stops completely... This can happen on any channel! (after I wait 10 seconds for the Philips to change) The weather makes no difference.
    I'm sure you all have experienced this at some time.

I have had a wide band aerial fitted and I am in a Freeview area.

This is my question...

Would I benefit from upgrading my freeview receiver to a modern alternative and which model would you suggest I buy? (must have slot for top up)

thx

2. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    If you are in a freeview area then you should not be getting these problems. Assuming that a tree hasn't grown up recently (or a large building) then you have a fault with either your aerial, cable or the box. A modern box will have a better EPG and may switch quicker however it will probably only fix the fault if the old box is faulty. Assuming that you can't borrow a box or try yours in a different system it may be cheaper in a first instance to buy a new box as a trial than pay someone to check your aerial.

3. RockStar

RockStar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thx Bobcar...