1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my Philips Ondigital box knackered or just rubbish!

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by RockStar, Oct 26, 2004.

1. RockStar

RockStar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello...

I use an old Philips Ondigital box to get Freeview/TUTV
    I used to think that the picture break-up I experience was caused by vehicles passing my house on the road outside.
    Now I'm not so sure. I seem to get this random break-up without any reason... sometimes half the picture freezes and half continues. Sometimes the sound stops completely... This can happen on any channel! (after I wait 10 seconds for the Philips to change) The weather makes no difference.
    I'm sure you all have experienced this at some time.

I have had a wide band aerial fitted and I am in a Freeview area.

This is my question...

Would I benefit from upgrading my freeview receiver to a modern alternative and which model would you suggest I buy? (must have slot for top up)

thx

2. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    If you are in a freeview area then you should not be getting these problems. Assuming that a tree hasn't grown up recently (or a large building) then you have a fault with either your aerial, cable or the box. A modern box will have a better EPG and may switch quicker however it will probably only fix the fault if the old box is faulty. Assuming that you can't borrow a box or try yours in a different system it may be cheaper in a first instance to buy a new box as a trial than pay someone to check your aerial.

3. RockStar

RockStar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thx Bobcar...