Is my PHD8 on the way out?

trevellion

Novice Member
I've had my Panasonic 50 phd8 for about 4 years now. For much of that time it was used primarily for watching dvds and playing video games. Last year I also began to use it as my main tv, at which point it started to see a lot more use.

Unfortunately, recently it has started to switch itself off. :rolleyes: (Very annoying if you are in multiplayer Gears of War 2). This problem is unpredictable and can occur after only a few minutes viewing or after several hours; I assume because it can happen shortly after the plasma is switched on that it isn't an overheating issue. I've noticed that sometimes the power light goes red as if it is in 'standby' and sometimes it appears to be yellow (until the latter happened I thought it could only be red for 'standby' or green for 'on'.) I haven't noticed any blinking lights but might have missed it when it happened.

I know it's impossible to give a proper assessment without actually testing the plasma, but I'd be grateful for any feedback on whether this is a known fault and if the implications are that my plasma is either on the way out or in need of expensive repairs. Maybe I should have got a KRP500M when I had the chance. :facepalm:

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Karl

perceptionist87

Novice Member
I've had my Panasonic 50 phd8 for about 4 years now. For much of that time it was used primarily for watching dvds and playing video games. Last year I also began to use it as my main tv, at which point it started to see a lot more use.

Unfortunately, recently it has started to switch itself off. :rolleyes: (Very annoying if you are in multiplayer Gears of War 2). This problem is unpredictable and can occur after only a few minutes viewing or after several hours; I assume because it can happen shortly after the plasma is switched on that it isn't an overheating issue. I've noticed that sometimes the power light goes red as if it is in 'standby' and sometimes it appears to be yellow (until the latter happened I thought it could only be red for 'standby' or green for 'on'.) I haven't noticed any blinking lights but might have missed it when it happened.

I know it's impossible to give a proper assessment without actually testing the plasma, but I'd be grateful for any feedback on whether this is a known fault and if the implications are that my plasma is either on the way out or in need of expensive repairs. Maybe I should have got a KRP500M when I had the chance. :facepalm:

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Karl
Hi there,

Oh, that's no good news you got there.
However, be assured that the phd8 is a megabuster set !

I assume this is some sort of fail-safe device that switches the TV off before overheating occurs, as you mentionned correctly.

Sorry to say, but the plasma becomes worn after time.
It's a noble gas and goes through billions of chemical reactions to emmit photons during daily viewing.

Therefore, the logic controller increases the current applied to ignite the plasma over time, in order to maintain the same brightness level as on day one.
The plasma becomes less escharotic, so it's logical to apply a higher current to have the same amounts of reactions.

Stronger current equals higher exothermical reaction, equals increased heat development --> triggers fail-safe shut down.

Want the cure ?
I have no better advice than turning back contrast and brightness to decrease heat development.
Furthermore, I'm afraid this set has reached its half-life long ago :rolleyes:

Plan B is, as you figured, to afford expensive repair which will probably turn out to be a swap for some later set.

My advice is to try my tip and if it doesn't work - off you go for probably a PF11, which come cheap around.

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
Try getting a repair because it probably only needs a new power supply and won't cost that much. Then still upgrade to a PF12 in the new year and move the PHD8 on to the bedroom!!

ejay

Standard Member
Check that the Power Managment under the Setup Menu is set to off.

This caused my screen to act like yours a while back and it hasn't happend since changing this.

trevellion

Novice Member
Check that the Power Managment under the Setup Menu is set to off.

This caused my screen to act like yours a while back and it hasn't happend since changing this.
I've checked the menu and 'Power Management' was indeed set to on. It's only been a day since I switched it off but I haven't had any further problems since so hopefully this has sorted the problem. Many thanks for your help.

Merry Xmas

Karl

These sets are built like tanks - Still wouldnt swap my trusty old 50PH9 for anything else (especially any LCD!)

RayP

These sets are built like tanks - Still wouldnt swap my trusty old 50PH9 for anything else (especially any LCD!)
Ditto dude! :thumbsup: Mine's good for eons yet!