1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my PD30 faulty ? - Electrical poping

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by RIOT, Sep 30, 2003.

1. RIOT

RIOT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Over the last few days ive started seeing and hearing an electrical pop followed by a flicker on the screen. The pop is quite loud and seems like a static discharge.

Ive read the thread about all the problems with the PD30 and ive not seen anyone mention this yet so I presume its just a faulty set

Ive got it connected to the Sky box downstairs via the RF2 socket which also sends 9volts up to the remote control sensor and I was wondering if the popping is due to this 9volts ?

Also on a slightly different note the picture coming through the rf2 socket is very poor. There is a severe diagonal banding ruining the picture. Ive fidled with all the settings I can think of and even rewired the ariel lead to no avail.

I also have another problem with the set whereby in Progressive mode I get a thick bar at the bottom of the screen which seems out of sync with the rest of the picture. Say for instance someone is moving across the screen....the top half will be about a centimeter infront of the bar at the bottom.

In other modes 7 and 100Hz modes the bar at the bottom doesnt appear but I get a line at the top of the screen which flickers like crazy.

Both of the above only happen now and again but when it does happen its extremely annoying as you can imagine.

Any help on how to fix the later issues would be greatfully accepted.

I bought the set from empire direct, what are there procedures for repairing / replacing sets.

Thanks
    Rich T

2. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny you say about the popping noise I heard it on mine for the first time the other day. It only seemed to happen when the pictured resized. I'm note sure what it is but I now know mines not the only one doing it. As for the banding problem follow this thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=94085

Bazza

3. rulocal

rulocal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Hi

I have a three week old 32PD30 which has just started popping. I have added it to the PD30 problems 'sticky'. It started as more of a click but has now developed into a loud 'pop'. THe 'pop' is usually accompanied by either a 'flicke' and/or an increase in the volume. The volume then goes back to its original level!

A forum meember called Blindlemelon seems to think the 'tube' is on its way out. I have already spoken to John Lewis, where the set was bought, and they are happy to order a new one for me. The only problem is that the have none in stock and have 60 orders ahead of me:thumbsdow . This in itself indicates to me there has been a very high level of returns.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you find any more out.

Cheers

Paul

4. RIOT

RIOT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I made that post some time ago.

Since then Empire Direct have been very very unhelpful !

Ive demanded a new TV but they insist on repairing it. Ive spoken to trading standards and they say im well within my rights to have a new set.

Even so ED have refused to replace until a repair has been attempted. So off it went completely unprotected in the back of some blokes estate after I was told that it would be collected, packaged up and transported safely in a van.

A week later they decided that it needed something called a "DP board" im now being told I have to wait a month for them to get this part in which is ruddy ridiculous.

Over a month without a TV for christs sake !!!!

As far as im aware theyve not even recognised the fault with the lines across the screen :mad:

Im thoroughly ****** off at ED and will never buy from them again if this is how I am treated.

Im at a loss what to do, there ignoring me and trading standards leaving me without a TV.

5. rulocal

rulocal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I am really sorry to hear of your experience with Empire Direct. It is really quite despicable. I hope you get it sorted in the end. I can't think this sort of story will help their sales going forward and I would let them know you are an avid poster on this forum.;)

I am quite lucky i suppose that John Lewis are prepared to swap it without question although they did initially offer for an engineer to come round. My problem is that they don't have any in stock but I will ask if they will give me some other TV as a replacement in the interim.

Best of luck with ED.

6. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,718
    Well, I've had my PD30 since yesterday and it's now exhibiting some strange behaviour whereby the brightness is fluctuating all the time, blacks go from black to grey and back again. Very noticeable if I just turn the sky box off whereby I should just have a black screen. I haven't heard any popping yet, maybe that will come next! Not very happy , thankfully I bought locally and hopefully their customer service will be up to scratch, will no doubt find out tomorrow.

Cheers
    Andy

7. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +602
    zAndy1 - Do you see the brightness fluctuations when using RGB or component? There seems to be a common problem with the PD30 with these two connections with certain DVD players. I can see horizontal flashing white lines that look like electrical interference when using my DVD player with RGB. The interference fades if I turn the brightness and contrast down below about 65%. I have also seen this using a Panny DVD player via both RGB and component. I don't ever get this from my Sky+ (version 1) box though. Other users don't report this problem with other DVD players (e.g. Sony 730/930) especially when using progressive scan.

8. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,718
    It happens on AV1 RGB from my Sky+ box, it happens on AV4C component from my DVD player, suspect if I checked it would happen on all inputs. I don't see any flashing white lines it's just basically fluctuating brightness, at times the picture looks very washed out , the blacks are nowhere near as black as they used to be. It's very strange, hopefully I'll get a new set and it will be ok, if not I'll have some thinking to do cos I loved the PQ of this set when it was working ok!

Cheers,
    Andy

9. rulocal

rulocal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I konw what you mean about having some thinking to do if you can't get a 'good' set. The picture quality when it is working is like nothing else.

10. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Sweeping statements like that don't help anyone, especially when you haven't extensively demoed all the competition.

11. rulocal

rulocal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I think the members of this forum are perfectly capable of interpreting my comment in the spirit it was made. Besides, there has been so much negativity about this set, which I note you have not censured, I see it as only fair that people are aware of the high quality picture which is possible from this set even if my use of launguage was slightly loose.

Thanks for your comments anyway.

12. jdg

jdg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must agree with rulocal!
    And I have demoed the newest p+, Loewe etc. (not Tosh, which isn't avaliable in Denmark)

13. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Apologies if my tone sounded harsh - it wasn't meant to be. My point was just that to many people by sets these days without really checking them out thoroughly. I reckon a load of people, based on comments such as yours have gone out and bought the Panny without even viewing it for themselves. That disappoints me and could well be why there are so many complaints on this forum. Despite wanting to love the set, there were too many things i didn't like about it after my demos. There have also only been 2 reviews in about 10 in the magazines which even hinted at reasons why you may not like the picture. Most reviews did also not consider the picture when using anything other than DVD.
    I'm not trying to add to the negativity but just pushing for people to decide with their own eyes rather than baseing it on what you, I or WhatHiFi have to say. And that goes for any set, not just the Panny.

14. rulocal

rulocal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Point taken.

I would however be disappointed to hear that people would go and buy a set based on my comments alone. The Panny does have a quality which I like and have not seen in any other set, but others may not want or like that quality. That does not however make my comment any less valid.

We have gone OT here. The really annoying thing, irrespective of whether this particular set is for you, is how poor the level of quality control is at the big TV manufacturers, which is, I guess amongst other things, why you went for a Leowe.

All the best

Paul

15. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,718
    Had my first set swapped out today (excellent service from the place I bought it from!). Only problem is, this one is worse. There is horrible solarisation effects all over the screen (like an early plasma), reds are terrible and bleeding all over the place. And just a few minutes ago I heard my first pop and volume increase! I wonder whether this set was brand new as it didn't have the sticker on the front of the set like my first one did (suspicious!). Anyway, I don't think I'll be having another one!

Cheers,
    Andy.

16. rulocal

rulocal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Sorry to hear about your new set. The POP followed by volume increase is a nightmare. Quite scary really:eek: .

With regard to the solarised colours and bleeding, although it is pretty irrelevant given the 'Popping', but have you checked the contrast and colour settings. When I first got mine the contrast was up at about 75% with the colour at about the same.

If you do go for another set, and I might be in this particular boat if my new PD30 is a dud (whenever JL get them in stock), what are you going to look at?

Thanks

Paul

17. RIOT

RIOT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally Im trying to get a Tosh picture frame, the 36" model is only £80 more than the 32" PD30 at ED

18. rulocal

rulocal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    The PF2 is certainly one option, although I do not have room for the 36". The thing is for me the PD30 has the WOW factor both in picture quality (if you have one that wants to work) and in styling and without both of those I do not really want to spend inxs of a grand for a TV. Accordingly I might save the money for a while and see what new TVs are on the horizon.

19. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,718
    Yeah, thinking about the Tosh PF2 32" but I've seen the effect the pannies equivalent of pixel plus has on the picture and it was quite dramatic. The tosh doesn't have such a feature so I don't know if it will have any hope of competing with the higher resolution picture of the PD30? Need to decide tomorrow whether to get my money back and have no TV or take a chance on something different.... mmmm

Andy

20. avdesigns

avdesigns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too had the popping problem with my Panny bought from John Lewis. On ringing them I was told it was due to atmospheric conditions!! I rang Panasonic UK and they said they wern't aware of any problem but would make enquiries. I re-rang John Lewis and asked for a replacement set which was delivered 2 days later.
    No further problems. Regarding the picture, it is worth taking the time adjusting the picture settings using a setup disc or the THX Optimiser. I find the end results quite stunning.

21. rulocal

rulocal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I too have had extensive 'clicking' and 'popping' on my 32PD30, also bought from JL. They are happy to replace it and I am just waiting for a call from the installers to come and deliver it. The thing is that it has not caused any problems over the last couple of days and they said that because thay had had no problems with this set (which is clearly a lie) they wanted an engineer to check it out while installing the new one. Accordingly I am hopping for the problem to returm by the weekend.

Any suggestions:D

22. Bombini

Bombini
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Question to the guys with the "electrical pops":

Do you see a horizontal white line, while the TV clicks, or is there only a change in brightness visible (picture is getting dark for a second) ??

Thanks for answers!!!

B.:hiya:

23. rulocal

rulocal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Bombini.

I get the change in brightness, not the horizontal white line. I think.

24. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,718
    I've gone for a Sony FQ70, was delivered this morning and first impressions are very good indeed, will update after setting up properly tonight..

Cheers
    Andy

25. RIOT

RIOT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have ordered a Toshiba Picture frame 32" set,

Damned empire direct made me pay the difference though as the panasonic had gone up £300 since I bought it meaning my tv was only worth £1000 to them instead of the £1300 they cost now :mad:

My choices were either £1300 worth of Panasonic or
    £1150's worth of Toshiba

They wouldnt just let me have the tosh which is cheaper to replace than the panasonic would be ! The managers just avoid talking to customers, I was promised several calls from a manager and received none.

Empire Direct Warrany's suck in short.

26. rulocal

rulocal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I have a slight quandry. The 'popping' and 'clicking' as described above has now stopped on my set (nothing for 3 days). Apart from these problems my set is a good one. My fears over the RGB scarts were allayed today when I had sky installed, up to now only used components for DVD, and the picture is sublime.

JL are due to bring a new set on Saturday. Should I stick with this one or do these problems usually return. My concern is that the replacement set suffers from one of the picture problems that appear to affect so many PD30s owned by other forum members.

Many thanks

Paul

27. RIOT

RIOT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would say get it replaced, a problem wont just go away it will only get worse over time.