1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my PC up to the task of HD playback?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by DGtal, Jul 11, 2005.

1. DGtal

DGtal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I have just acquired a hi def ready DLP RP TV and am itching to start 'blowing people's socks off' by demoing HD on it. I'm just about to start researching how to go about this but I thought I would start by asking here whether what I've already got is sufficient.

PC:
    Mesh P4 2.4Ghz
    512Mb RAM
    Latest version of media player installed.

Graphics:
    Nvidia GeForce Ti4600 128Mb (has DV out)

I don't have any other specific software other than Power DVD which came installed (basic version quite old now) and the multi-region hack.

Should I be getting a new PC?

Thanks

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    By 'HD' I presume for now you're referring to hidef WMVs such as the famous 'Terminator' version.

IIRC M$ recommend a 3Ghz processor for that, so your 2.4 may struggle. It's too early to say what requirements HD-DVD playback will have, there is no hardware or software capable of doing that at present, however even with something like an NVidia 6xxx/7xxx card supporting hardware WMV decoding acceleration I suspect a 2.4 processor may still be a bit under-powered, but that's just a gut feeling.

OTOH, hidef transport streams (.TS) can be played back on something like your system, but since that's not a format used for commercial releases you'll need your own source of those. ;)

3. Flashman

Flashman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi DGtal,
    If you go to the Windows High definition website, there are several hi-def clips you can download. Also, you can get the recommended spec direct from the site...

If I remember correctly, there is a link at the bottom of this page;

www.wmvhd.com

The link assesses your computer and tells you if it can play Hi-Def or not.

I have a 1.5 Celeron laptop with 512mb ram and an ancient 16mb ATI Mobility card, although it's a bit jerky, it does play the clips and gives me a reasonable idea of the delights of Hi-Def!!