1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my PC up to DV editing and transfer?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by goldenfleece, Jan 4, 2002.

1. goldenfleece

goldenfleece

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From my previous posts, and I have now made the following system changes...

I just upgraded the machine to an AMD K6 3D 500 chip (only cost me £10) the highest it will go to (from the original 450). Very slight difference in speed noted. I have also fitted a 40GB second IDE hard drive as well to replace the 10 GB. 7,200 RPM speed to replace the 5,000 speed old one.

(I only have IDE connectors....is this OK with firewire tranfer and digital editing or do I really needs those SCSI machines for this?

I am worried I will get jerky or video editing that drops frames all the time, but not really a way of testing it before I buy the Firewire card I suppose. If anyone knows a test that can be realistically done to see if any PC can handle complex video data tranfer and editing, can they let me know. The machine seems to be running fast generally, but then again it only has the integrated graphics chip on the mainboard, and not a fancy video card. The integrated video chip is an SIS 530/620, with, or so the manual says, 64 bit 3d with 8 mb main buffer? Can this handle DV editing without grinding to a total halt or this not an issue?

Im also running XP which is the most up to date Windows, there is now 360 MB RAM at 100 Mhz on a PC Chuips 100 mhz mainboard. Will I need more actual RAM or is this OK?

I decided against buying a new machine at this stage, but I may do later in the year should this one not be up to standard.

2. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would say that you'll be ok. My first 'video editing' Pc was a Cyrix 150 cpu with 16meg RAM, 1gig system HDD, & a Video HDD of 3.6gig!!
    May be a bit slow for DV though.
    The only way you can tell for sure though is to actually go ahead & have a go. NLE can be a minefield. There are people with far higher specs than yours that come a cropper, & some with lower who get by ok. I'd suggest you hang out at the www.computervideo.net forums for a while.

3. Floandal

Floandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Goldenfleece,
    you are full of trepidation about the power of this machine of your's. Are you being blinded by the specs of the new multi-gigabyte machines that have been developed over the past 6 months ?
    I don't think he will mind my mentioning his name, but the Guy that I mentioned in an earlier post, who has ONLY JUST upgraded his PC from the same speed processor as your's, is Colin Barrett - (www.simplydv.co.uk), who writes for Camcorder User and What Camcorder. Colin was also a pro. cameraman for many years. He edited miles of footage on his 500Mhz machine, so don't worry about it, just do it Buddy.
    Is your new hard drive, - in addition to your old one ? do you still have your O/S on the old one, so that you can use the new, - fast, - drive as a dedicated capture drive ? cos', thats the way to go.
    Arthur, --- you were a masochist ! ! !
    Best Wishes, ---- Alan.

4. goldenfleece

goldenfleece

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I am blinded by dazzling specs of spanking new PC's with 2.5 Ghz Pentium 4 CPU's, etc. All the hype you know, I saw a 1.2 Ghz machine the other day and I thought it ran slower than my 500!! I have conflicting views on if my old PC is up to it, but am going to give it a damm good try.

It is, in case anyone missed the machine profile, a humble AMD K6 3D 500, 360 MB 100 mhz RAM, soon to be fitted with a dedicated 40 GB hard drive as a video capture drive only (7,500 RPM BTW), with a 10 GB hard drive for Windows XP (slower RPM drive) to run on. Adding the old I-Link Firwire port and I should be ready for a real thrashing on the DV editing front. Think I'll also go up to my max RAM on this mainboard with 756 RAM, just to give it a little more breathing space.

I think the machine will be maxed to the limit, but thats what PC's are for anyway. I guess if I find it wont do the job without taking 4 months, I can lift out the firewire card and hard drive and slot them into a new generation PC if I have to. The only thing I cant use is the RAM which is only 100 mhz speed and not useful in the latest machines, but as RAM is so cheap it does not pose a great threat.

The AMD K6 500 is nearly ready for action. I will announce how successful or not it has been in due course. There is life for your 2 or 3 year old PC yet in the DV world.

5. Floandal

Floandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again Goldenfleece,
    just a thought, --- for later on. --- I am pretty sure that those older Athlons are ideal for overclocking ? ? ?
    --- especially with the 100Mhz FSB (I believe an easy first step is to up the FSB to 133Mhz) --- but you have to keep them well cooled.
    --------------------- Now there's a thought !
    Have fun, --- Alan.:D

6. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whatcha mean, was? ;) Seriously, I think all PC video editors are!