Is my PC dead?

kingcobbler

Apologies if the following are daft questions!

Computer working fine yesterday but today its seriously playing up.

When I turn it on, the LED's light up and the fans start spinning, I can even see the ethernet cable LED flashing.

Problem is that nothin else happens, i.e. its not booting up. When intially turned on I can hear a little noise coming from the hard disc and then thats it.

I have checked the VGA cable just so I am not being totally stupid.

It sounds like the motherboard is ok cos of the ethernet LED.

So, is my hard drive dead or the whole PC.

Any ideas welcome, or do I use this as an excuse to replace!! Its a Mesh PC about 3 years old.

soi_l

Standard Member
You can try disconnecting the hard drive although I don't see how that'll help because the PC still has to POST on boot up. Maybe the problem could be associated with the Video card? It won't display the POST info?

Ski1

Standard Member
Do you have an old hard drive to swap out to confirm whether it's really that hdd in question?

kingcobbler

The monitor is definatly not getting any input

kingcobbler

You can try disconnecting the hard drive although I don't see how that'll help because the PC still has to POST on boot up. Maybe the problem could be associated with the Video card? It won't display the POST info?
Potentially if its the graphics card, can I just open the case and remove the card from its slot. If the PC has no graphics card won't the motherboard deal with this ok ?

radioredcat

Novice Member
It could be down to capacitors on the motherboard drying out and as time goes on it will take longer before it will boot and if the room is cold it takes longer.

Iv'e had a few pc's over the years and does anyone remember the abit KA7-100 boards along with other makes Known for having badcaps.

Anyway this one cause for this symptom and there are many other causes.

Take look at this site it will enlighten you as to what to look for.

Badcaps.net - Badcaps Home

andy

kingcobbler

I've opend the acse up and stared blanky at all the gubbins.

Looks like a trip to the techynuts and PC world for their diagnosis, any ideas what they'll charge to take a look.

Ski1

Standard Member
I've opend the acse up and stared blanky at all the gubbins.

Looks like a trip to the techynuts and PC world for their diagnosis, any ideas what they'll charge to take a look.
Before you go paying someone, why not swap out the hard drive first?

Ski1

Standard Member
Apologies if the following are daft questions!

Computer working fine yesterday but today its seriously playing up.

When I turn it on, the LED's light up and the fans start spinning, I can even see the ethernet cable LED flashing.

Problem is that nothin else happens, i.e. its not booting up. When intially turned on I can hear a little noise coming from the hard disc and then thats it.

I have checked the VGA cable just so I am not being totally stupid.

It sounds like the motherboard is ok cos of the ethernet LED.

So, is my hard drive dead or the whole PC.

Any ideas welcome, or do I use this as an excuse to replace!! Its a Mesh PC about 3 years old.

That noise is what's concerning me.

Do you have another monitor that you can plug up to you computer?? This can totally eliminate your VGA etc. Which I don't believe is the porblem with what you described above.
Once you've eliminated the VGA, investigate your existing hdd.

exoteror

Standard Member
First thing why take it to pc world, why not try a small shop, some of them take a look at the pc for free and get the money from selling their parts and fitting them, just give a local shop a phone and ask.

So the pc sounds like it's spinning up correctly? processor clicks and hard drive spins?

it does sound possibly like your graphics card has failed on you this could cause your pc to sound like it starts up normally if you have a internal speaker you might get some unusual bleeps but it's usually just the monitor that doesen't respond.

you might also get the same problems from a hard drive but I would only epxect the hard drive to make funny noises or just not really work at all :p

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom