1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is my panny about to die.....?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Dannykos, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Dannykos

Dannykos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i just took delivery of my ae100 - bought on ebay for £760 with 24 hours on it. i gave it a trial run - before setting the room up properly - and the picture etc seemed fine. Later on - i had the room all set up - ready to show off to my friends - but the picture, instead of being all nice and bright was really dull, but worse - the image was kind of pulsing between dim and dimmer at regular intervals of about 1 second.

got REALLY concerned about this - and ended up watching the movie on the tv instead

later on that evening i tried it again - same thing, but soon - the picture dissapeared completely!! i looked into the lense and could see a dim flickering kind of effect on the lcd panel and hear a corresponding clicking noise. there are no warning lights coming up yet though - does this mean that the "red led of death" is about to strike??

I'm TOTALLY gutted by this - and having read most of the posts in this forum over the last day or so get the impression that all is not going to be well with my panny either :(

it has a may 2002 build date - and so can go back for repair i guess.... but that means missing the first few episodes of 24 on it :mad:

Help. Danny.

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you sure the lamp timer is correct?

24 hours sounds VERY low for a May unit.

Go into the service menu & check that the lamp timer wasn't reset. It'll show the previous hours if it was indeed reset.

Maybe only the lamp, but it won't be covered by warranty if this is the case.

Just the mention of Ebay sets alarm bells ringing in my head. No, actually it's the doorbell :D

BTW, welcome to avforums & the FP club ;)

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Dannykos,

Welcome to the forums - albeit that you're in trouble !!!

Echo Kramer's suspicion - a May 2002 AE100 with only 24 hrs clocked up - not realistic, unless it was unused for months on end. It doesn't sound like the power supply/red LED of death problem, that's normall a "pop" and its gone type of issue; sometimes when the lamp is non-fatally damaged (as opposed to worn out) you'd get the lamp firing up for a few seconds dimly and then cutting out - i.e. failing to ignite fully. It sounds more like a lamp problem, but you won't know for sure without getting it checked out. Panasonic pjs are guaranteed for 12 months, so your's is still in its guarantee period - the change of ownership shouldn't have affected this. You could have a look in the Service Menu and see if the lamp hrs indicator has been reset, as suggested by Kramer.

If you're going to get it checked, then get on to Panasonic customer Service directly - they should refer you to Multipoint (afaik, they're the UK service agents who deal exclusively with Panasonic warranty repairs).

Sorry you've had a bad experience on your introduction to the AE100 and FP, when it's sorted you should be ok.

Warning to other readers:::::::::

Without taking a pop at Dannykos, other readers should be aware that the AE100 is available new for about £800 - grinding for those of us who are taking a big depreciation hit having paid £1200 - £1400 for our machines, but also an excellent opportunity to get into FP with a New projector and avoiding the dangerous territory that Ebay can represent.

Dannykos - no offence, make sure you post and tell us how you get along.

Sean G.

4. Dannykos

Dannykos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your replies guys - i did check the service report thing - there have been no lamp time resets. Have emailed panasonic requesting they pick up my defective unit and repair it as there's no defective pixels and the colours great. will report back on their response, or lack thereof :)

is it worth opening the bulb casing to see if anything looks amiss - i guess i could remove and then replace the bulb to make sure its in properly.

also - i would have loved to find a NEW one for £800 !!! best price i was quoted was £999 from both unbeatable.co.uk / RGB / and a couple of others from home cinema choice magazine.... so where's the cheaper source?? import? did think about that but was put off by having to pay the vat on it - which negated the price difference.

don't get me wrong though - what i did see - before i went funny, was brilliant - and that wasn't even on a screen, so happy days to come in the future i hope.

btw - great forums here - really instructive and helpful

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Dannykos,

If you browse further through the threads here or at Special Offers you'll see the AE100 offer mentioned.

Hope you get sorted.

Sean G.

6. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I've got 3000hrs on mine and recently I've been having a similar problem with significant dimming for a few minutes at a time. I thought it was the bulb going prematurely. The last time it happened however I noticed the input source I.D. flashed in the corner of the screen. (ie Video/S-Video etc in green lettering in top left of screen). I then copped that it wasn't the bulb but the PJ was partially losing the video signal. I had a look at my connections and sure enough the video monitor outputs on the back of my amp were loose.

7. Dannykos

Dannykos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    last night - after the screen had gone blank after 5 mins as usual - the lamp "red led of death" appeared.... hmmmm

8. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Dannykos,

If the lamp is coming on for a short period, then going off with the lamp indicator lighting, I think its a fair bet that the lamp is at fault. The lamp is only covered by a 90 day warranty, so I don't know how you'll get on with Panasonic - if there's only 24 hrs logged, and the timer has not been reset, then you may have some grounds for hope.

All the best,

Sean G.

9. gingercat

gingercat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    This is pretty much the same problem as I'm having with my brand new AE100. I got this one on the £800 offer, but it is an August 2002 model and is exhibiting the lamp problem after only 11 hours on the clock... Now waiting for Panasonic to collect my toy.

10. Dannykos

Dannykos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how did you contact panasonic?? can you let me know what happened and how helpful / obliging they were to pick it up and repair it??

Thanks.

11. gingercat

gingercat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I phoned their support phone number (08705-357357 for UK customers) as shown on their support page: http://www.panasonic.co.uk/support/support.htm

They're arranging for it to be picked up from me - just waiting to hear when. I could have had a replacement unit on loan whilst mine's getting fixed but that would only have delayed proceedings whilst waiting for a loan machine to become available.

I'll keep you updated on my progress...

Still - at least I managed to watch Back To The Future on it before things went pear shaped :)

12. charlie

charlie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How did you get on DannyKos?

I have what sounds like the exact same problem, I put a post up earlier today and have just done a search - almost word for word the same description!

Have you had your unit repaired yet, any advice you can give me?

Thanks,

Charlie

EDIT: Scratch the above, I had a looksee in the Panny repair thread and spotted your turn-around time. Did they actually tell you what the problem was, or is PSU replacement expected to cure 90% of PTAE100 faults? ;)

(Ironically there are that many 'my Panny is broken' threads that it isn't easy to know which ones to look at :laugh: )

Charlie

13. Dannykos

Dannykos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry to hear about your loss :(

all i can say is that the repair sheet that came back with the panny said that they'd replaced the PSU.... so i can only assume that your problem will require the same treatment. As I said before though, the turnaround was pretty good, and having used it for about 35 hours since then, have absoultely NO complaints whatsoever.

good luck :suicide:

14. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whatever happened to "once bitten, twice shy"?

Good deal on an amp here .

Glad you're back in business with your AE100 :smashin:

15. charlie

charlie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply Dannykos Calling Panasonic this morning, can't live without this piece of kit for very long :(

Charlie