Is my Panasonic VCR Faulty

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Jon Weaver, Oct 9, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +717
    I have a Panasonic NV-HD660 which has worked well for several years.

But, I think that its developing a fault

When I play a tape, the picture keeps going slightly darker and lighter. It cycles between dark and light approx ever 3-4 seconds.

The effect looks similar as what you get when trying to copy something with Macrovision on.

But the effect is very VERY subtle and some people might not even notice it.. But its driving me nuts and I want to fix it!

Any ideas what this could be?

2. HeadBanger

HeadBanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +440
    I have the 660 also and has served me well for a good few years now with only one trip to the repair man.

I suspect your electronics are breaking down somewhere (video amplifier?) and it'll need an engineer to look at.

Does the picture fluctuate when the CVC is turned off? Does the picture fluctuate using a different scart input on your telly and or scart lead?

3. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +717
    At first I thought that it was the TV, as the effect was so subtle, I could only see it on the BIG TV and not the other portables around the house.

But this week, I was playing something recorded on another VCR and the effect was far less subtle..

This time I could see it on the other portables too.

The problem is seen via RF and AV, so its obviously a problem with the VCR.

I have been told that this model has a particularly sensitive AGC (Automatic Gain Control) circuit, and is prone to PSU problesm which can change the sensitivity of this circuit!

I have just bought a Sony TV, which I have learned entitles me to £100 of a VCR.. I am tempted to pay £80 and get the Sony VCR, just incase my Panasonic gets worse...

I think I will use the Panasonic as spare and see how it goes.

Thanks for your help