1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my Panasonic SA-XR45 Faulty?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by rowbos, Jul 19, 2003.

1. rowbos

rowbos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just bought one of these beasties, but every time I change the source on the remote or do anything with one of the sources - such as stop/start/ffwd/rew/play etc a cd or dvd, I get a really loud thump through my sub - I have a Mission FS1 set.

Now with my last receiver - Denon 1603 this did not happen.

I unplugged all sources to try to isolate the prob - still happens when i changes sources between tv/dvd/tuner etc. Even with nothing but the speakers plugged in.

If I unplug the sub and leave everything else in, it does not happen.

So it seems that some kind of noise/spike whatever is being sent to the sub output when anything switches in the unit.

Does this sound like a fault to you? (it does to me) - I cant live with it, as it is really loud - muting does stop it happening but thats a bit of a bind - to mute everytime i want to pause a film!

So back to the shop for a swap then?

Input would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Steve.

2. fuglyface

fuglyface

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a SAXR45 and had a small problem with the sub when I connected it (rel Quake). I got a constant humming sound and strange noise coming from sub whilst listening. I was using the supplied rel cable. I bought the sub at the same time so not sure if it would have happened on another amp.
    After reading the forum it suggested it could be an earthing problem or shielding problem.

I cut the earth on the rel amp cable to isolate the 2 earths between the amp of sub and receiver, it was even worse. I then fitted a fully shielded good quality cable I had spare and it was completely fixed.

Maybe similar problem and if you have a spare cable around it could be worth a try.

3. rowbos

rowbos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sounds plausible, just need to get another cable to test with....

Will post back when i have tried this.

Steve.

4. rowbos

rowbos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just tried a different cable, not particularly shielded, but certainly different and tried to keep it away from anything else - makes no difference - may try to borrow a fully shielded cable from the shop I bought from...

In fact I will take my 45 with me to the shop, try it with their speakers first - to double check...

5. fuglyface

fuglyface

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let me know how it goes

6. rowbos

rowbos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just tried a decent QED screened cable - no change - looks like its going back this week then :( damn!