• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Is my Pana finished?

rikman808

Standard Member
I have had a Panasonic TH37PX70 for just over 2 years and last night, in the middle of watching a programee a line appeared from top to bottom in the middle of the screen. It looks to be about a pixel width. I hoped it would be a Sky box problem so I checked it on AV2 through my DVD player and it is still there.

The TV wasn't knocked as it is wall mounted and as I say it just appreared. Is there anything else I can check or do or does it sound to you experts like it has developed a fault?

I'll try and upload a few pics.

Thanks for any advice

05102009312.jpg

Last edited:

mbell

Established Member
To answer your question, yes, I'm afraid it is b*ggered. You've lost an entire column of pixels.

This is something that is obviously covered by guarantee. I've got my fingers crossed for you that yours is still under warranty.

rikman808

Standard Member
To answer your question, yes, I'm afraid it is b*ggered. You've lost an entire column of pixels.

This is something that is obviously covered by guarantee. I've got my fingers crossed for you that yours is still under warranty.

Thanks but 2 year warranty expired in Aug I think. Ballcocks! I take it this sort of thing can't be claimed under house insurance???

PSM1

Distinguished Member
House insurance does not normally cover breakdown of appliances, usually only accidental damage. So if you dropped it or happened to throw a Wii remote at it then this would probably be covered.

tele1962

Distinguished Member
I have had a Panasonic TH37PX70 for just over 2 years and last night, in the middle of watching a programee a line appeared from top to bottom in the middle of the screen. It looks to be about a pixel width. I hoped it would be a Sky box problem so I checked it on AV2 through my DVD player and it is still there.

The TV wasn't knocked as it is wall mounted and as I say it just appreared. Is there anything else I can check or do or does it sound to you experts like it has developed a fault?

I'll try and upload a few pics.

Thanks for any advice

05102009312.jpg
You could always try the place were you bought it because 2 years and it's busted should not be the case also try Panasonic cutomer services and rell them maybe you will get a result.

Support - Contact us - E-Mail - UK & Ireland

Monarch

Distinguished Member
House insurance does not normally cover breakdown of appliances, usually only accidental damage. So if you dropped it or happened to throw a Wii remote at it then this would probably be covered.

That might just cause a big old mark...plasma screens are too strong for fraud :D

Anyway, only just out of warranty? That's a bugger, it's worth phoning the store and Panasonic, just to see if anything can be done, but I wouldn't be too hopeful

duncfunk

Prominent Member
It's well worth kicking off at the retailer or Panasonic. I've managed to get free repairs on 2 items out of warranty by questioning the quality of their products and insisting that I would never touch their brand again :D

Failing that it's either the Wii remote or soga

chrissav

Established Member
Contact panasonics customer service dept. Our pana developed a problem recently, outside of warranty and I tried them out of desperation. Here is their reply...

Thank you for your e-mail enquiry.

I am sorry to learn of the circumstances which have prompted you to write, and can appreciate your disappointment that the above unit developed a problem such a short time after the guarantee expired.

Firstly, please accept my assurances that this failure is not indicative of poor quality. Whilst Panasonic products are manufactured to the highest specifications, there is always some potential, as with any electrical appliance, for some component failure to occur over a period of time and use.

I am pleased to inform you, however, that Panasonic adopt a very flexible approach to the terms of the guarantee and often consider requests for assistance outside of that period.

Whilst I cannot immediately ascertain whether repair cost assistance would be appropriate on this particular occasion, I would like to have the opportunity to consider further.

In order that I may do this, I would ask that you firstly have the unit inspected by an authorised service agent. Those in your local area can be found through our website.

[email protected]

[email protected]

Unfortuntately I didn't get any further since we had already ascertained it to be beyond repair and we cannot find any of the required proof of purchase or recall the retailers details.

Good luck!

Chris

PSM1

Distinguished Member
yeppo, you could now throw a wii mote at it and claim this incident occured in the first place.
I wouldn't follow PSM1's lead when it comes to applicable law :rotfl:

I did not suggest he should do either of the things mentioned. I only said these are the kinds of things covered by house insurance as an example!!
I feel too many people claim fraudulently on various insurance policies meaning we all end up paying more. I would never condone or recommend someone going down this route!!!

pannyfanny

Established Member
Agreed, I was in the barbers the other day and a bloke said he'd bust his plasma, broken screen. He claimed, then took the screen to his mates, he claimed. He then too it to another mate.. Well I'm sure you get the picture. 7 or 8 of them in the end apparently.. :eek:

Bimimin' greenfly:mad:

rikman808

Standard Member
I did not suggest he should do either of the things mentioned. I only said these are the kinds of things covered by house insurance as an example!!
I feel too many people claim fraudulently on various insurance policies meaning we all end up paying more. I would never condone or recommend someone going down this route!!!

Don't worry I wasn't only responding to your post in jest. I wouldn't make a fraudulent claim for 2 reasons.

a) It's morally wrong
b) I'd get caught. :)

GreenBars

Established Member
Take a look at the Sale of Goods Act. You can reasonably expect a TV to last for longer than two years without developing such a fault. Will probably require you to get an independent TV engineer to assess that the malfunction was not your fault and was due to the manufacture.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom