Question Is my NIC rubbish or is there anything I can do to achieve greater than 700mbps?

jizzlejimbo

I have a Lenovo Thinkserver running Unraid wired up via a Gigabit cable to a switch and then the same to my PC.

I do have a PFSense router with Vlans upstream of this (I don't think this is an issue).

When I do a SSD to SSD transfer it tops out at 700mbps or 87MB/s. Never seen it go higher, another part of my network can easily saturate the 1000mbps or 110+MB/s.

The server runs Unraid, the PC Runs windows 10 using the onboard Realtek Nic (B450 Tomahawk Max motherboard).

It's not a game changer but I regularly dump 500GB to the drives and it takes an age as it is, hoping to speed it up and actually saturate the link.

I've tried different cables to no avail. Any other ideas?

I've attached an iperf3 test showing the same, so it's not an SMB issue.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    59.5 KB · Views: 19

jizzlejimbo

Just reversed the connection, so iperf3 is hosted on my server and it's max 680mbps in that direction.

inkinoo

Distinguished Member
Unless you start talking jumbo frames and changing other settings, the max speed you get from gigabit would be around 850-900 mbits.

Factoring in file sizes etc, I don’t think that’s too speed wise.

When you say other parts of the network saturate then bandwidth, what are they and how do you know?

jizzlejimbo

Unless you start talking jumbo frames and changing other settings, the max speed you get from gigabit would be around 850-900 mbits.

Factoring in file sizes etc, I don’t think that’s too speed wise.

When you say other parts of the network saturate then bandwidth, what are they and how do you know?

Thanks. For example if I go from my other PC downstairs and run iperf3 to my router it will get 980+mbps

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
980Mbps is over the normal limit for Gigabit with overheads. Max speed is normally around 940Mbps (ish).

What AV software do you have on the machine, I have known that to make an impact.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom