1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my new Panasonic Recorder broken?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by yabadaba, Sep 17, 2005.

1. yabadaba

yabadaba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I just moved my new Panasonic DMR-ES20 DVD recorder into another room, but when I plugged it in a 'crackling' noise came from the unit, followed by a slight smell of burning. After this the words 'self check' appeared in the front panel for a few seconds followed by the standard display. The machine still works, but I've noticed that the fan (at the back) is no longer working.

So, does anyone know whether the fan only cuts in after some time or is it always on? I'm pretty sure that before it came on as soon as the unit was powered on, but I'm not sure. I suspect I may well need to return my new 'toy', which will be a pain because I bought it online.

2. Bal2005

Bal2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Most fans come on as soon as you power it up.

I mean when you take it off standby and use it.

I would get it repaired or replaced as soon as you can.

Thanks

3. yabadaba

yabadaba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've now discovered that the fan does come on, but only when the DVD playback or recording is in operation and not when the unit is just receiving freeview. I'm still not totally happy though as that 'burnt out' smell is still lingering. I guess something must have burned internally, but not to the extent that it has failed....(yet). Think I'll ring panasonic and ask their advice on Monday.

4. Bal2005

Bal2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    HI

I would as depsite everything, your unit shouldn't be making and uncommon noises or have burning smells.

Speak to Panasonic and then return it if it is with say 14 days for a new one.

Thanks

5. 1ka

1ka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 'crackling' noise could have been from the power cable being only partially pushed in. Some of my computer equipment is the same, you plug the cable in, switch on and it sounds like pig-roast. The cables need to be firmly plugged in. Which is probably why the unit self-tested and the smell.

The fan comes on initially when you switch it on, from standby, then usually it turns off, until you start to record to DVD or HDD.

Having said all that, it's probably worth getting it seen to. Easiest thing is to take it back to the shop, say it doesn't work and get a replacement, otherwise you may be waiting for it to be repaired.