Is my monitor dying?

drinkturps

A couple of days ago, I've noticed some flickering on the left side of my main 1080p monitor. I thought I'd accidentally played about with my screen resolution or refresh rate but my monitor is using the recommended settings that it's has always done for the past few years. Update to the latest NVidia drivers and still the same.

My second screen is totally fine and I've swapped cables about and it's just my main monitor that has this problem. I've attached a photo I took on my phone and you can see on the left hand side the text of the bookmarks from my Firefox browser showing through into my game of Elder scrolls online. I've tried using the DVI connector instead of the HDMI but it's still the same. 2nd monitor is fine.

Is is ready for monitor heaven? Oddly enough I bought a new GPU at the weekend from the classifieds which should be with me this week so maybe it's fate telling me to get a 1440p monitor.

1632162169996.png

CARLOS

Distinguished Member
So are you saying the text is showing through ? If so that isn't the monitor it's a PC/GPU issue.

drinkturps

So are you saying the text is showing through? If so that isn't the monitor it's a PC/GPU issue.
Yeah the text is showing through from the window behind. So much so that if I stick my face up to the screen I can read it! The left side of the screen also has these faint lines scrolling downwards like the matrix.

Right hand side of the screen is fine!

EDIT: I can even see the bookmarks when i don't have a browser open on the PC. It's like it's burned in like an ancient CRT screen!

EDIT2: Uninstalled all NVidia related stuff, removed GPU from device manager, pulled the GPU out for a clean, re-installed. Issue still there. I'm stumped.

Last edited:

Delvey

Distinguished Member
If you've swapped the connectors around with the 2nd monitor with different cables it is most likely knackered.

CARLOS

Distinguished Member
Weird that it's still showing when the browser is closed.

If its the PC spec showing in you signature then plug the monitor in to the motherboard output and remove the GPU to see if it still does the same ?

drinkturps

If you've swapped the connectors around with the 2nd monitor with different cables it is most likely knackered.
Yeah, I used the same cable that was good with monitor 2. Tried DVI and HDMI same result.
Weird that it's still showing when the browser is closed.

If its the PC spec showing in you signature then plug the monitor in to the motherboard output and remove the GPU to see if it still does the same ?
You know what, I'd totally forgotten my mobo has an output and my CPU has integrated graphics! I'll probably need to re-enable it in BIOS and pull my GPU out. Good call! That should prove things once and for all. I'll report back tomorrow (too knackered now).

drinkturps

If you change it in the bios to on board you can leave the card in usually.
Thanks, I was able to choose CPU Graphics only and I still get the same issue when using the Intel 530HD and plugging direct into my mobo. Didn't matter if I used HDMI or DVI. Looks like my monitor is on its way out :(

Interestingly testing this morning I cannot see the bookmarks anymore it's just flicking downward horizontal scrolling lines on the left side matrix style.

2nd monitor again just fine.

I'll wait until I get my new GPU delivered to be 100% sure but I guess I'll be soon asking for 1440p monitor recommendations!

EDIT: My GTX1070Ti came this morning too and it also has the same issue with the lines. It's not the end of the world but I'll need to get a new one longer term.

Last edited:
Check out Hardware Unboxed - Aussie youtubers have some great information/reviews on Monitors for gaming. There a lot of monitors that claim a fast 1ms response times but when setup in fast mode to hit that response time are un-usable due to other issue it introduces. Smearing etc

There are countless 27" 1440p 1ms 144hz monitors monitors for sale for example, at a range of prices and this is why one cost £200 and another £400 and on paper have the same capabilities but don't really.

What GPU you getting ?

drinkturps

Check out Hardware Unboxed - Aussie youtubers have some great information/reviews on Monitors for gaming. There a lot of monitors that claim a fast 1ms response times but when setup in fast mode to hit that response time are un-usable due to other issue it introduces. Smearing etc

There are countless 27" 1440p 1ms 144hz monitors monitors for sale for example, at a range of prices and this is why one cost £200 and another £400 and on paper have the same capabilities but don't really.

What GPU you getting ?
I've got a GTX 1070ti from the classifieds now. This will keep me ticking over until more modern GPUs start to appear at a good price. By which point, I'll be needing a new CPU and Mobo too.

To be fair the monitor that's on its way out was only a 60Hz 1080p monitor I've had for years. I'm really not interested in getting anything epic. I'm always happy being a few years behind things! So probably looking to spend around £300-400 on a 1440p.

Delvey

Distinguished Member

WildeKarde

Distinguished Member
My son got the lg 27gn850 and its pretty decent. 1440p at 144hz so not too shabby

On amazon for £319 just now
27gn850

drinkturps

Wow that's a bargain price but it's bit too big for my use. Thanks though, it does look the business.
My son got the lg 27gn850 and its pretty decent. 1440p at 144hz so not too shabby

On amazon for £319 just now
27gn850
I've spent most of yesterday and this morning (when I should be working) looking at reviews, different monitors, charts, 1080p at 1440p, upscaling, freesync, gsync, hdmi and display port. Lots of youtube of my games playing at 1440p on that GPU. The sheer volume of good 1440p monitors has made my brain fry choosing.

I totally get that I'm not going to be playing ultra settings at 1440p with a GTX1070ti but it will certainly make a lot of my old favourites look a lot better. The monitor also future proofs me for when GPU prices start getting back to normal which was the whole purpose anyway.

I've taken the plunge with your recommendation. It's coming tomorrow. Mrs Turps went to use the PC and was not having a wonky monitor! I'm also looking forward to pairing it up with my 2nd hand GTX 6070ti from the classifieds in the year 2030!

WildeKarde

Distinguished Member
Wow that's a bargain price but it's bit too big for my use. Thanks though, it does look the business.

I've spent most of yesterday and this morning (when I should be working) looking at reviews, different monitors, charts, 1080p at 1440p, upscaling, freesync, gsync, hdmi and display port. Lots of youtube of my games playing at 1440p on that GPU. The sheer volume of good 1440p monitors has made my brain fry choosing.

I totally get that I'm not going to be playing ultra settings at 1440p with a GTX1070ti but it will certainly make a lot of my old favourites look a lot better. The monitor also future proofs me for when GPU prices start getting back to normal which was the whole purpose anyway.

I've taken the plunge with your recommendation. It's coming tomorrow. Mrs Turps went to use the PC and was not having a wonky monitor! I'm also looking forward to pairing it up with my 2nd hand GTX 6070ti from the classifieds in the year 2030!
My son loves it ... he said its a big improvement on 1080 monitor he had before.
I actually have the model up from it (more expensive) with new hdmi on it and I really like it as well. They also support headphone jack in back of monitor if you need it

drinkturps

My son loves it ... he said its a big improvement on 1080 monitor he had before.
I actually have the model up from it (more expensive) with new hdmi on it and I really like it as well. They also support headphone jack in back of monitor if you need it
Got it all set up this evening and been experimenting with stuff. It's flippin' gorgeous. Everything looks so vibrant and colourful! Games feel so much more immersive too. I'm glad my old monitor went on the blink as its shown me what I've been missing!

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm really pleased.

WildeKarde

Distinguished Member
Got it all set up this evening and been experimenting with stuff. It's flippin' gorgeous. Everything looks so vibrant and colourful! Games feel so much more immersive too. I'm glad my old monitor went on the blink as its shown me what I've been missing!

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm really pleased.
No problem. I've two 27 inch lg and they are both great.
My main one is a 4k @144hz that now wiil give me the excuse to get a better gpu :D

Psycho Sonny

What GPU you getting ?

A lot of that could be down to marketing, brand, etc.

You can get plenty of decent cheap monitors and you don't need 1ms response either for it to be classified as decent.

Rtings is the only website I use for TV reviews and they now also do monitor reviews and there are plenty of decent cheap budget options.

Monitors don't tend to have the smearing and slow response TV's do anyway. I've never had issues with any gaming monitor.

your right there are better and cheaper monitors around than ever but my point is they basically all claim the same 1ms performance and its become a bit meaningless, I suspect its hard to find one that doesnt have some way of reaching that response time - so good reviews that actually test whats really going on and also how it changes at different refresh rate are valuable.

Looks Like RTing have started testing response times this year in a similar way now to Hardware Unboxed have been doing for some time so should be able to give the same kind of details, When I last checked there site there were not. its not quite as detailed though, looks like they only test max refresh and 60hz and dont mention which overdrive mode there in but its good there doing it now.

I was looking at RTing review of the Samsung Oddessy G7 as an example.

Psycho Sonny

your right there are better and cheaper monitors around than ever but my point is they basically all claim the same 1ms performance and its become a bit meaningless, I suspect its hard to find one that doesnt have some way of reaching that response time - so good reviews that actually test whats really going on and also how it changes at different refresh rate are valuable.

Looks Like RTing have started testing response times this year in a similar way now to Hardware Unboxed have been doing for some time so should be able to give the same kind of details, When I last checked there site there were not. its not quite as detailed though, looks like they only test max refresh and 60hz and dont mention which overdrive mode there in but its good there doing it now.

I was looking at RTing review of the Samsung Oddessy G7 as an example.

What other refreshes do you need other than max and 60?

I don't really care too much about these things. I play at a high level compared to the average gamer and the biggest thing that makes someone play better is game sense.

I know someone who is considered a top 1% player in destiny PvP and he plays on a £300 50 inch Polaroid TV. He also can afford much better the private school he goes to for instance costs £12k+ per year.

People can be too anal about all the small details.

I game on a Samsung odyssey G7 32 inch model. It's brilliant. I won't be upgrading until it dies. Regardless of how tech improves. It's simply fantastic and a good option for the money.

What other refreshes do you need other than max and 60?

Depends on what hardware you have and what games you favour - if you get your favourite games to run at 100fps then 100hz is something you might care about more and 240hz not so much or 60hz if the monitor is a 240hz model. as it wont be running at that frequency when it syncs to your game. If you play games that run at 240fps then you do care about 240hz,

Also you need to know which level for overdrive works best at which frequency as most monitor have mulitple settings for this and its nice if its a single setting works best for all frequency. If one mode that works best at 60 and another at 240 and you need keep to changing it depending on the game your playing its a pain in the butt - this I really like to know before I buy.

Also I think you think I am suggesting everyone needs a monitor thats really expensive, I game on a £350 one myself which very mid priced, I was trying to advice the OP how to get a good cheap one and how to tell them apart, I am not really talking to you situation as you have a great monitor already.

Also not sure why you mention some friends school fees erm thats a odd road to go down, not sure how to respond to that - congrats I guess- he or she will hopefully get a good education for when his/her gaming career is over. I also feel like you think I am disagree with something you said or talking about the monitor you use which I have no idea about. I was just talking about the ins and outs of monitors which is something I am interested in and hoped might help. I mean it wont help you of course or your school friend but the OP maybe.

Psycho Sonny

Depends on what hardware you have and what games you favour - if you get your favourite games to run at 100fps then 100hz is something you might care about more and 240hz not so much or 60hz if the monitor is a 240hz model. as it wont be running at that frequency when it syncs to your game. If you play games that run at 240fps then you do care about 240hz,

Also you need to know which level for overdrive works best at which frequency as most monitor have mulitple settings for this and its nice if its a single setting works best for all frequency. If one mode that works best at 60 and another at 240 and you need keep to changing it depending on the game your playing its a pain in the butt - this I really like to know before I buy.

Also I think you think I am suggesting everyone needs a monitor thats really expensive, I game on a £350 one myself which very mid priced, I was trying to advice the OP how to get a good cheap one and how to tell them apart, I am not really talking to you situation as you have a great monitor already.

Also not sure why you mention some friends school fees erm thats a odd road to go down, not sure how to respond to that - congrats I guess- he or she will hopefully get a good education for when his/her gaming career is over. I also feel like you think I am disagree with something you said or talking about the monitor you use which I have no idea about. I was just talking about the ins and outs of monitors which is something I am interested in and hoped might help. I mean it wont help you of course or your school friend but the OP maybe.

Most half decent monitors have g sync so running it at anything other than max isn't required. There is no need to run a 240hz monitor at anything other than 240hz.

You were talking about 1ms as if it makes any difference. It doesn't. Game sense matters more than the monitor you buy.

Just get a cheap decent monitor and that's it. Anything else isn't required but just nice to have.

Yeah I dont think you quite have it yet - the monitor runs as you say in Sync with the games FPS using G-sync or FreeSync and your PC hardware determines what any given game runs at, this is a constantly changing number of frame per seconds hence the requirement to dynamically Sync which is the sync part of G-sync/freesync so your right you dont pick a refresh rate the monitor handles that for you. But you do pick an Overdrive mode which changes the performance of the monitor at different frequency's and hence it worth having a handle on what games your playing and what FPS you are getting for the ones you care about.

But of course different games will average a different FPS - Cyberpunk 2077 for example doesn't hit 240fps for anyone so how the monitor works at 240hz if that's your favourite game is irrelevant but 60hz much more important to know. This was my point, its good to know at different hz how well the monitor refreshes - its why RTings are showing the max rate (240 for example) and 60hz which is great, I would like one at 100hz as well as this is where lot of games land also but its a nice to have not an essential. Bottom line RTing are great, if they chucked in another couple of steps on the grey to grey testing they would be better, which is why I prefer Hardware unboxed just a little bit.

An yes as you say get the cheapest decent monitor you can - this we both agree on, hopefully this helps determine how "decent" can be defined.

Anyhow think we have hijacked this thread enough - OP have already bought a replacement so think this is done.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sonos announces new Ray soundbar
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony set to launch WH-1000XM5 wireless headphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
VIDEO: Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Panasonic unveils its 2022 OLED and Core LED TV collection