1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is my LG going to die?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by steel muppet, Jun 16, 2003.

1. steel muppet

steel muppet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I have an LG model 13 (cant remember full number!) 42" plasma and it has developed a problem over the last week or 2.

It is working fin and then suddenly the lower half of the screen (exactly at the middle) goes blank with the top half still working.

Turning the screen off and back on again resolves the problem.

It has happened about a dozen times nor and although not often seems to be getting more frequent :(

Anybody else had anything like this?

thanks!

Gary

2. mikeblanche

mikeblanche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like a very unhappy bunny.

Still under warranty?

mike

3. steel muppet

steel muppet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I only got it nov last year.. so 7/ 8 months old ish.
    I also got extended warranty for another 2 years (3 in total) so I am not too worried yet.

The problem at the moment is that it is extremely intermittant ( only a dozen times in a few weeks so sods law says if anybody comes out to look at it that the fault will not be there....

Might even be worth hanging on as long as possible before reporting it waiting for newer / better models to be available and hope that when it pops its clogs it is not repairable and a new model will have to be supplied...

Dont know what to do!

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,070
    Do you have a camcorder? You might try 'filming' the effect when it occurs and showing the tape to your engineer. I did this with a 'doubting' Sony engineer with an odd and intermittent problem I had with a Sony LCD RPTV once - he was suitably convinced and replaced the software, which cured it.

5. steel muppet

steel muppet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah good idea I will try that....

It is a clear fault though! Exactly half of the picture goes away like that part of the screen is switched off!

I assume that the upper and lower halves are either driver or decoded seperately!