1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my LG 4163B now faulty ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by RecordablDVDfan, Aug 24, 2005.

1. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I brought some bulkpaq 8x. 2 out of the 50 were fine now if I want to burn any more I have to each time cold boot otherewise data capaicty shows 0 and 2x speed in Nero and I get the 'this disk is not wrtitable' msg show if I try to burn..

Is it the dye on the disks or a hardware problem ie the LG writer is gone wrong all of a sudden ? Other makes of disks in the past have have been 100%

2. pinatubo

pinatubo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check the DMA setting on the IDE channel used by the LG:-
    Go to Device manager and select ide controller- right click and select properties - then select advanced.
    What DMA setting is showing - it should say Ultra DMA mode 2
    If it says PIO then you will need to uninstall the ide channel and reboot the pc inorder to install the ide controller correctly.

If device manager is showing Ultra DMA mode 2 then the ide controller is working correctly and you may have a problem with the media.

3. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Yes ok but why should I have to do this anyway if everything was A1 before ?

4. pinatubo

pinatubo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The potential problem I am describing is known as the Win XP DMA bug.
    When Windows detects more than 6 read or write errors the drive's transfer rate is dropped from DMA to PIO mode.If there is a problem with your media then errors may accumulate which will then cause PIO mode to be used hence possibly the problem you are seeing.

I have a 4163 and up to now I havn't had any problems.I am currently using Ritek GO4 4x disks but I have now bought some Ritek GO5 8x disks.Neither disk has given any problem.I have never used Bulqpak DVDs

5. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    In device manager I have under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers :

Primary IDE channel
    Secondary IDE channel
    Sis PCI IDE channel

The 2nd IDE channel was using PIO but is this the one for the LG ? I also have a DVD Rom drive and CD-RW writer. There is no way it seems to see the settings for the LG ? Primary shows Ultra DMA mode 6 ???

6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    Change your discs. Bulkpaq discs are very poor (with all the dyes they use).

I would also recommend Riteks G04 discs and Taiyo Yuden if you want to spend a bit more.

7. pinatubo

pinatubo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies for the delay in replying but I went to watch Match of the Day.

I don'tthink you need to have so many cd/dvd devices installed - I would only install the 4163 and if you do disk to disk copying on the fly then install the cd rewiter.

I would suggest you set up your system as follows:-

Primary IDE Channel - Hard disk only set as Master.This is the normal setup and is what you probably have already.I wouldn't connect anything to the second connector on the IDE cable.

Secondary IDE Channel - LG4163 set as Master using the end connection of the IDE cable.
    If you want to connect either the CD rewriter or a second DVD drive then connect that to the middle connector as Slave.Personally I wouldn't bother with the second DVD drive.

Please ensure all Master /Slave setting are correct for each drive.

Reboot the pc and then check the DMA setting in Device Manager for the Secondary IDE channel.If it's still showing PIO then right click on the controller and select Uninstall.
    Reboot the pc and all should be well.

I would suggest that you try some other media such as TDK - available in Maplins - the Bulkpaq media may cause the PIO problem to reoccur.You may be able to use these disks if you burn them at a slower speed.

If you have any queries regarding my post please don't hesitate to post back.