1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my HT requirement OVERKILL considering my ROOM SIZE?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by titanax, Jun 17, 2003.

1. titanax

titanax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My dedicated TV room measures: 2.7m(w) x 3.6m (l).

The sets I am refering to are featured in "WHAT-HI SOUND AND VISION: ULTIMATE GUIDE TO HI-FI AND HOME CINEMA 2003".

I am considering the HOME CINEMA SYSTEM 22: PIONEER DV-454S / YAMAHA RX-V430 / MISSION CINEMA M70.

Is this an overkill for my room size coz' I still need to place the audio rack, a coffee table & a 2 seater sofa.

Or should I settle for STYLE SYSTEM 53: SONY DAV-S550 to go easy on the space constain?. As much as I am a separates person, I would like to be practical too.

Please advise.

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    The kit you have listed will be fine (the amp is quality for the money but not hugely powerful) as long as you can fit it all in without being too cluttered - separates doesn't have to mean huge, I don't know your budget but you may want to have a look at sub/sat solutions like kef eggs

3. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    It won't be overkill. You can get away with some pretty hefty kit in a relatively small room. I have floor-standers all 'round (see below) and my room is only slightly bigger than yours (4m by 3m).

You will however have the following problems:

1. It'll only really be suitable for two. It'll get crowded when you have guests.

2. Heat. You'll probably be sitting there with another person, with the doors and windows shut for upwards of two hours. It probably won't be too much of a problem with the system you're currently considering but as you upgrade, it will become more so. I did a test on Sunday morning. I set the cinema up to play Jurassic Park with the lights and volume as we would normally watch it, shut the door and waited. I left a thermometer in there and after only an hour, the temperature was up above 26ºC. The thermometer maxed out at that point so it could have been (infact it felt) much higher. My next upgrade is aircon!

D.

4. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'd go for the eggs to. Avoid floorstanders in a room of your size mate, i think they would be to imposing.

5. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +277
    It'll have to be quiet air-con though ;) ;) ;)

6. titanax

titanax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually heat's not an issue, I got air-con. But like I said, for my speakers, the biggest I'll go for are bookshelfs; Like the Mission Cinema M70.

You all reckon it should be fine right ?

7. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Yep.

8. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes

9. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    A good set of matched compact speakers and a decent sub will be great in a small room.

I ran a system of 5 AE101 compacts with an AE Aegis sub in my bedroom of approx 2x1.5m for a while and it sounded great.

10. titanax

titanax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Retro, what do you mean by a decent sub ?

If I want to replace the sub that comes with the Mission Cinema 70s, what should I get ?

11. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    What was your address, HMP Slade?

That's not a bedroom; that's a cell!

D.

12. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    titanax

Better late than never my 2p worth. The sound with the separates will not be too big for your room but it easily has the potential to be too big for the display.

I'd hold with the idea of Kef eggs or similar and a good sub just to save floor space no other reason. The sound is still big when in movie mode. (Not the best way for stereo CD playback tho.) I'd definately hold with the idea of separates which give much better sound per pound and a high degree of fexibility.

However, to elaborate on my original statement, that sound will be far bigger than the picture; It is IMO a question of scale and balance between the 2. The weight, the increased sound stage and sound stearing effects etc.. are all totally out of scale with a small display. When (using Star Wars for example) this huge sound pans say from left to right and rattles the windows as a space ship comes in to land, which then only travels 28 inches or maybe 36 inches across the screen in front of you, it makes you feel like you've just missed out on half of what's going on even tho. you've seen exactly the same as some one watching on an 8 foot screen:) I bought the sound system along with a widescreen TV before I bought my projector and when I played movies to an audience, I'd get comments like "It's a bit loud" or "There's a lot of bass isn't there" type of comments typically singling out the sound. When I added the projector the sound wasn't singled out. Comments were much more general usually referring to the whole experience like "Wow it's like being at the pictures" type comments. This merely reinforced my own feelings.

Given that projectors can be had at such low prices now especially second hand as the upgrade bug bites and given that you've got as you say a dedicated TV room(or should I call it veiwing room), there is only one way to go. I know for sure you wouldn't look back.

Crocodile JD

13. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I mainly use my sisters bedroom while she's at uni, that is about 3x3.5m, which is much more CRT projector friendly. :laugh:

14. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Something along the lines of a Velodyne VX100 and better. I'm not sure what sub comes with the Missions though.