Is my Harmony 525 faulty

Member 79251

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have just purchased a Harmony 525 and its perfect I have been playing with the settings and so on. :cool:

But my one major problem is that, does it click and feel plastic or is it just mine!! everytime I press or have the remote in my hand it feels cheap.

Feels like a flash back from the 80's

I have read alot of feedback on this site and have not ever had anyone state how bad it feels.

Can anyone help me ? Should I worry!!!:eek:

have seen a few comments on its "cheap" and flimsy build......

pixelpixel said:
Hello,

I have just purchased a Harmony 525 and its perfect I have been playing with the settings and so on. :cool:

But my one major problem is that, does it click and feel plastic or is it just mine!! everytime I press or have the remote in my hand it feels cheap.

Feels like a flash back from the 80's

I have read alot of feedback on this site and have not ever had anyone state how bad it feels.

Can anyone help me ? Should I worry!!!:eek:

This is true. It also seems the last generation models were actually stronger.

Yes, the feel of the thing is very poor. It is a nuisance to hold as all the weight is at the back and really you need 2 hands to use it.:(

£50 not well spent in my opinion as I still cannot get the thing to work properly and waited on the phone for 1 hour yesterday to get through to helpline with no joy. :boring: I am gonna try again today.:mad:

SGM said:
£50 not well spent in my opinion as I still cannot get the thing to work properly and waited on the phone for 1 hour yesterday to get through to helpline with no joy. :boring: I am gonna try again today.:mad:
CRikey never even heard of a one hour wait for tech support tip (ring after 3pm)

And teh Intigue built remotes are much better than the logitech ones, my 655 is ten times better build than the 885 that replaced it

It has been done! Its too late.:rolleyes:

I feel that had I been aware of how bad the remote felt. I would have not even looked at it.:nono:

If you have one put it in one hand and then a sky remote in the other which one feels better ?

Also which one could you trust to drop ? I have dropped my sky+ various times also walked on it. It still works and looks like nothing has happened to it.

The 525 is cheap but after that fact fades away you can find out how smart it is. Yes it does do the job only the clicking noise and the ohh is it going to fall apart in my hand feeling remain to be corrected.

The remote will have to grow on me. It will not replace my sky+ remote but maybe will replace the many others I have.

I agree that it will replace the other remotes that we all have i.e. DVD player, TV, Amp etc but not the Sky+ or TV Drive box. It possibly can do the tasks that these do but I wiould imagine it would get way too annoying cycling through all the commands.

I feel that the asthaetics and ergonomics of the device will never win me over :thumbsdow and so will probably look elsewhere after a while once I have done some more (and better) research.:nono:

I did get through to tech support last night and the guy was helpful enough but still we could not get it working. I am awaiting a call from Tech Support in Cairo I believe. Apparently they can work wonders with the controls so fingers crossed.

Rgds
Steve

SGM said:
I agree that it will replace the other remotes that we all have i.e. DVD player, TV, Amp etc but not the Sky+ or TV Drive box. It possibly can do the tasks that these do but I wiould imagine it would get way too annoying cycling through all the commands.
Thats wher ethe extra for the 885 comes in replicates every button on the Sky+ remote and then gives you all the required features of the TV AMP remote at the same time! if thee 525 did all this and was as well built as the 885/895 no one would buy the 885

SGM said:

What do you mean by cycling through all the commands? I use the Harmony 360 which is similar to the 525 and 555.

With mine, when I switch watch tv, it allows me to control the volume through the amp, and the rest of the buttons control all the features and buttons of my TV drive without having to cycle through anything.

Granted, if I want to adjust the TV settings I have to go into device mode, but that's pretty rare and for just watching tv I only use the volume and TV Drive.

Help needed..... Do i have a faulty remote. My number 5 has an inward button not an outward button like the rest. Please help me.

buttons.jpg

Just had a button on my Harmony 525 fail, it's the button on the top right of the lcd screen. I've been through Technical support and they are going to replace it under warranty. The remote was bought on christmas 2005.
This button is not one that's used a lot but it is used occasionally.
I must say there were no quibbles about replacing it after going through the obvious software updates etc, but as the previous poster says maybe there is a quality concern here, good job the remote has a 2 year warranty I may be needing it again.
The remote apart from the button failing has functioned great.

What have they asked you to do with the old remote? I have just had a new
(1 week old) 525 replaced and they ask for the battery cover to be returned, is this the same for you?

mipmip.

Not got that far yet, sorry but I'll let you know whenever they ask.

What have they asked you to do with the old remote? I have just had a new
(1 week old) 525 replaced and they ask for the battery cover to be returned, is this the same for you?

mipmip.

This is where the serial number is stored, so it's probably just to update their records, maybe to identify trends in faults ?

What do you do with the rest of the remote, tho ? Bizarre...

This is where the serial number is stored, so it's probably just to update their records, maybe to identify trends in faults ?

What do you do with the rest of the remote, tho ? Bizarre...

On the 525 all the details are under the batteries and there are no markings at all on the cover.

mipmip

Just received my new remote, see above.
I had to return the battery cover too. Possibly to stop people selling the broken remote?
Another reason for this is that postage costs would be prohibitive to post the remote itself. The cover has to go to Switzerland, I'm in the UK.
Anyway back to full service, as I said before excellent customer service.

I forgot to send my cover !

I have one that sort of still works but the display shows every other line. They sent out a new one.

Probably do not need to send it.

Just undone my Xmas present. It is sooo flimsy. It creaks, and feels like its going to fall apart.You can hold the bottom and twist the top a bit.
Never, ever felt a remote so poorly built.. even £1 jobbies :(

After all the criticism I thought it might be good to tell the story of a satisfied 525 owner.
I agree, it's not a super quality build. But look what you get.....it's attractively priced, the Activities work like a charm and if you are in the very, very rare situation that your equipment is not in the database it has learning capability to learn any command you want.
Of course you can get better build quality, but it will probably cost you a lot more money if you want the same functionality.
I am using it over a year now and if it would break down on me in a couple of years, I would buy the 525 again. And I still recommend it to anyone....

Apart from that I think the design of all the other Harmony remotes is :thumbsdow Look like Fisher Price toys to me.....but hey, that's of course a matter of taste. The 525 fits well into our house in terms of design :)

I am perfecdtly capable of handling the 525 with one hand. And the weight is in your hand....where it should be, and where 99% of all remotes have it..... that's where the batteries are in almost any remote.

For those concerned about build quality, I read on here the 555 is of better quality, and it is going for £40 odd quid at Pixmania right now

For those concerned about build quality, I read on here the 555 is of better quality, and it is going for £40 odd quid at Pixmania right now

I can back that up, also.

Having briefly had both remotes, the 555 has no issues with creaking/twisting.

Got this remote for Xmas and was absolutely delighted with it. However, one of the buttons on mine has also failed so phoned up Logitech and after giving the relevant information about the remote was told that I would be getting a replacement and somebody would contact me tonight or Monday evening regarding this. They have given me a reference number just in case I do not hear from them.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom