• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Is my graphics card on its way out.

catch'em1

Hi.

I have a Nvidia 9500gs, not a very good graphics card and apparently it is unreliable as well. The other day my monitor went black and white, I thought it was just a one off so I restarted it, it was fine, then it went black and white. I changed cables and it was ok for a bit and then it went black and white again.

Luckily I had a spare monitor to see if it was the monitor or GPU, plugged it in and colour! for the next 3 days but then it did the black and white thing. It doesn't happen as often but since this morning it has been black and white.

Do I need a new graphics card?

tekman

Standard Member
Sounds like it might be. Could be worth getting in touch with nVidia in anyway how but i would suggest and upgrade. Sometimes your computer tries to tell you things, mine let out a high pitch noise so i knew to change the psu. There is so much choice in graphics cards now you can easily find a new one cheaply, or one good for gaming. Depends how much you want to spend.

Tute

Standard Member
Looks like it i'm afraid. The only other thing it could be is the monitor but as you said, you tried changing that and it made no difference.

Have you checked to make sure your card isn't getting too hot?

tekman

Standard Member
Good point check air flow to the card. I know i need a new one as mine overheats during playing MW2 and it closes the program

Maximus7724

Standard Member
Good point check air flow to the card. I know i need a new one as mine overheats during playing MW2 and it closes the program

Card shouldnt overheat in idle. I doubt a 9500GT is putting enough stress on a PSU for it to crash, yes it is the GFX card imho. Id recommend a 9600GSO, can be found for around £40.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom