1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my graphics card knackered ???

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by GazH, Jun 23, 2005.

1. GazH

GazH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi,

I've been battling with this for a few weeks now thinking its drivers or something, but am slowly coming to the conclusion that my card may be knackered.

I've got a Leadtek 6600GT TDH AGP 8X GC. What happens is (probably 1 in 3 times from cold boot) is that the PC will boot to XP but when I click the green media center button on my remote I get a black screen with some grey lines in the top right corner.

I thought it may be my set up (will list hardware at end of post) or drivers (as a number of people have probs with different drivers) but doesn't seem that is the case.

I also thought it may be an IRQ conflict... on bios boot screen(noticed a couple of days ago) I had 3 devices no IRQ 9 (USB port and TV card I think)...so removed the additional USB port adaptor that came with PC and IRQ became unique again...reinstalled TV card drivers.....still crashed last night...

I have the newest BIOS I can find on my MB. Have tried drivers version: 66.77, 66.92, 67.66, 71.84 and 72.14 (released a couple of days ago...driver versions from memory so hopefully correct).

Oh, and if I get into media center it works perfectly....so it either crashes or works perfectly from cold boot....I did start hibernating rather than shutting down as it never crashes from hibernate...but the VFD stops working from hibernate..

The event viewer has an error something like: NV4_DISP entered an infinite loop...etc etc

Am outputing to CRT TV only.

Harware:
    Asus P4B MB (4X AGP)
    1.5Ghz P4
    1280MB Ram
    200 GB Seagate
    Videologic SonicFury Sound (aslo tried turtle beach drivers with this)
    Hauppage PVR500 TV card
    PCI firewire card
    PCI LAN CARD
    Ahanix D-vane 5 case

Have already got a returns number from Novatech...but am considering re-installing to if that may help before going through the hassle of sending card back..

Any help appreciated...this is doing my head in...

Cheers

Gaz

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    Its difficult to be sure, could be a hardware fault, the only way of knowing for sure is trying it with a different card - but if you haven't got one to swap with then that is not much help.

I would be inclined to uninstall the card, and use some driver cleaning software to make sure that all of the remanants of the old driver is gone.

Then physically remove and re-seat the card, and re-install some new drivers. The latest Nvidia MCE drivers are stable for me (6600GT card) so try again with those, and if still no good then maybe it is a duff card.

I presume that you have a MCE compatible DVD codec installed?

lisa

3. GazH

GazH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi Lisa,

I could change the card but the best one I've got is a Geforce 2 gts pro.....might be worth a whirl I suppose.

I have used Drive cleaner Pro to completely uninstall the card previously so the new drivers should have been clean.

Not tried removing the card completely and re-booting so will give this a go (with the geforce 2 card swapped in).

Have currently got the newest Nvidia drivers installed...and is more stable than others I've tried.

Am using the Nvidia DVD Decoder.

Cheers for the advice Lisa...will try a different card later..

Gaz

4. GazH

GazH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Well I installed my trusty old GTS Pro and basically it worked.

Media centre really struggles with TV and video playback (as in I couldn't get a picture, but did get the sound on live TV) as it just isn't up to the job. Although I could playback video from WMP10 direct.

Didn't have any black screen crashes, and I could still get back to the desktop when the machine was fighting with video and tv so the system was very stable.

Novatech will be getting the card back....only thing is, I been messing around with this for so long that it is now just outside the dreaded 28 days returns policy....hopefully they will see sense and let me have a different card as I've lost confidence in this product.

Thanks for reading, and the replies..

Cheers

Gaz

5. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    What motherboard are u using?

What PSU do you have?

These are influencing factors.

6. GazH

GazH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Ive got a P4B Motherboard which has a Intel chipset and a 300W PSU.

I have done a lot of investigation and have read that Nvidia cards can have problems with VIA chipsets so this shouldn't be the problem....and to be honest I haven't actually found anyone who is having the same problems as me...they tend to get random lockups when running 3D apps or games...

The main thing that leads me to believe that it isn't my other components is the fact that I can actually get into Media Center sometimes, and when I do I do not get any problems or crashes at all...and I've had it up and running all day on some occasions.... but if it fails it fails on XP startup or MEdia Center startup, it just seems flaky....

in the past, when a GC isn't compatible with the MB I've also found that thing just won't boot..

The card is deffo going back...lets hope it gets sorted quickly.....am seriously thinking of trying a 9800 pro card instead of Nvidia.....

Cheers

Gaz

7. GazH

GazH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Well... I have (after a little hassle) got a full refund from Novatech as they didn't have any of the ATI cards in stock I wanted to try. Nice one Novatech, I will use them again.

So, I have lost a lot of confidence with the 6600 cards and did want to try an ATI.... Any suggestions for a card around £150 ?

Thanks all :smashin:

Gaz

8. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    It may have been your PSU. Im still not convinced it was a compatability issue. 300w is meagre even for a quality PSU. If its a cheapie PSU you will always suffer with the latest gfx cards as soon as things get busy.

9. GazH

GazH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Just a quick update...

I installed my 9800 pro on Friday night and installed the drivers that came with it (Catalyst 5.4 as it turned out).

After rebooting XP I didn't get a black screen. So I went to media center and fired it up...no black screen either, it just worked.

When rebooting for the first time after installing new drivers on the Nvidia card the PC would black screen every time. When I got the PC to boot to XP and entered media center for the first time it would also crash. After that it was pot luck whether xp or media center would boot or not.

So everything is loads better already. Still need to test properly (as thats all I had time to do over the weekend) but am a lot happier with this card already.

By the way I found the following thread from the Green Button very interesting....a number of people have tried upgrading their power supply and it had no effect whatsoever.

http://www.thegreenbutton.com/community/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=47&MessageID=74556&TopicPage=1

Although no one had the same problems I had, I found it very informative. They have found a fix for the nv4disp... infinite loop problem though.

Cheers

Gaz

10. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    OOo - nvidia have problems then. All my 5 GFX cards are ATI. Had an Nvidia 4200 and it was a pain in the arse - threw it in the bin. My ATI9700 would crash when playing games - that was with a Qtec 500w, changed it for an Antec 500w and no problems ever again.

11. GazH

GazH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi drummerjohn

A number of Nvidia users have had good results from upgrading their power supply, but I have (AFAIK) got a good quality PSU.

By the way, tried playing DVDs and slide shows last night and my system is still rock solid.

Hopefully get it hooked back up to my sky box in the next couple of nights and do some final testing with the new card......all good so far....chuffed to bits as I love MCE2005.

Thanks for the reply drummerjohn

Gaz