Is my graphics card done? (6970)

glory_utd

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi.

For some reason my computer has stopped showing up on my monitor. It was connected by dvi. I also tried with hdmi. My ps3 works with the monitor with the hdmi so I'm guessing it's not the monitor? I also tried to hook it up to the living room tv and got nothing. I've reseated the card and still nothing. On startup the fan still spins and everything so it's not like the power is gone.

Any ideas? It's a ATI 6970, 2gb, sapphire. It shouldn't really just die considering it's only a few months old and it is a £300 card.

Do you get any post Beeps at boot? or try a different Dvi/Hdmi lead if you got it local you could get them to try it.

Cards can go, my first 480 went 2 weeks after i had it bit of a pain but at least your under warranty:).

I have an old card and different dvi at home, unfortunately won't be there for another week, so, you know, if it was definitely dead i could get a replacement by then which would be handy.

No beeps or anything, which is kinda why im curious. Starts up perfect just no screen, but then the hdmi definitely works with the ps3 so you'd think it'd have to be the card?

Some case's do not have a speaker or Speaker connected to the Mb one reason no beeps, the Dvi port may just be damaged, but there is a hdmi port,

what Psu do you have?

Corsair 750w modular, should be enough for that card ... max card runs at is 250w.

Yeah I mean the dvi being damaged doesn't explain it not showing through the hdmi, which definitely works otherwise.

Update.

Have now tried a different monitor and different card and none of it works. Where does this leave me? Mobo? Pci slot gone? On to that ....

ok, so, used the 4850 for the other pci slot as the 6970 size made it too awkward.

on boot getting this message - New CPU installed! Please enter Setup to configure your system. Chassis Intruded! Fatal Error ... System Halted.

So .... what has gone wrong here?

glory_utd said:
ok, so, used the 4850 for the other pci slot as the 6970 size made it too awkward.

on boot getting this message - New CPU installed! Please enter Setup to configure your system. Chassis Intruded! Fatal Error ... System Halted.

So .... what has gone wrong here?

Do this message come up everytime you boot the computer? Have you updated the BIOS recently?

No, i haven't updated the bios recently. I can't really since I didn't have any picture and now get this message. I'll be turning it on again later and I'll let you know if the message repeats.

Should I try to boot it with the 4850 in the second pci slot or without a gfx card? And what do you think the problem may be?

If you have onboard video you could try that, that way you will know if your mobo Is okay. If that works try the 4850 in the first slot then the second if it the first one fails again.

Ok, this time i get the cpu installed message but says press enter to configure system, f1 for setup, f2 for default values and continue. Where do I go from here?

Looking in bios at boot device, my ssds with the os arent there =/

Snd now it says reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key

So, for whatever reason, its not reading my ssds. weird turn. I'll check the connections again but is this maybe my mobo just failing?

Last edited:
Do you have the SSD's in raid by any chance? If so you will need to set the BIOS for that kind of setup. For now I would suggest pressing f2 for default settings and then adjusting the settings if needed.

Yeah, and i had them setup in the bios. Why has that setup disappeared though? And I think if I press f2 i end up with that select boot device, since my ssds are the boot device. I think it was marvell raid controller that the ssds were setup in. Do I need to go back into that and put them into a raid again (at this point I'm worrying about the safety of whats on them)?

Basically don't know why all this has happened, when the issue was the pci slot not reading the gfx card.

Okay you will need to setup your BIOS to read the two SSD,s as one drive (RAID) This can be done in the Chipset part of your BIOS. I would suggest looking at the manual for help if you get stuck or just reply if you have any more questions. Once the BIOS has hbeen corrected you machine should boot up, you can then carry on with you diagnosis lol

Yeah I know what I have to do, I just have no idea why I have to do it :D

Oh okay :D It's because you chose f2 for the defalut settings, is it not? Means that the mobo has reverted to its default settings. Just need to adjust the settings again and your done. On another note if your first slot has failed you should probably send it back, if its still under warranty.

Ah ok. That's a pain. I presume the stuff on my ssds is safe though, right?

I will be sending it back, just need to make sure everything else is working first. Like I still don't know why It didn't just load normally? You know, why did it bring me to a point where I had to revert to default settings when all that I did was change over the gfx card.

glory_utd said:
Ah ok. That's a pain. I presume the stuff on my ssds is safe though, right?

I will be sending it back, just need to make sure everything else is working first. Like I still don't know why It didn't just load normally? You know, why did it bring me to a point where I had to revert to default settings when all that I did was change over the gfx card.

Its probably because you were changing the hardware a lot, its just happens sometimes when you are switching hardware all the time.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom