Is my Elite about to RROD, and should I wait??

SwinBob72

My Elite (purchased on elite launch day) has started to hang a lot (usually within 2 or 3 minutes of turning on), and when it does I usually get graphical errors (red squares all over screen is most common).

It's virtually unusable in it's current state. I can just about manage to get logged into live, and get a game started before it locks up the first time. And after that lock up a reboot usually causes the lock up to happen slightly quicker, until after 3/4 reboots it locks up on the xbox logo. If I then wait 10 minutes or so before I try again, the cycle starts all over again.

Does this mean my console is about to RROD? Or is this another fault?

If it is an impending RROD, should I wait for an RROD to occur before sending it back to MS? (if not will they just send it back as ok?) Or is there anyway I can "speed up" its RROD status?

If it's not an impending RROD, anyone got any suggestions on what it might be?

King Tones

Distinguished Member
My Elite (purchased on elite launch day) has started to hang a lot (usually within 2 or 3 minutes of turning on), and when it does I usually get graphical errors (red squares all over screen is most common).

It's virtually unusable in it's current state. I can just about manage to get logged into live, and get a game started before it locks up the first time. And after that lock up a reboot usually causes the lock up to happen slightly quicker, until after 3/4 reboots it locks up on the xbox logo. If I then wait 10 minutes or so before I try again, the cycle starts all over again.

Does this mean my console is about to RROD? Or is this another fault?

If it is an impending RROD, should I wait for an RROD to occur before sending it back to MS? (if not will they just send it back as ok?) Or is there anyway I can "speed up" its RROD status?

If it's not an impending RROD, anyone got any suggestions on what it might be?

Mine was doing the same just before it RROD :thumbsdow
I would suggest to wait as soon enough it will RROD or E74 error which are both covered by a 3 year Warranty.
Or you could always send it off saying it has intermittant 3 red rings :smashin:

Deftones

SwinBob72

Thanks for the reply.

The biggest problem I'm having is that it's been doing this for over a week now, and still no RROD. And because I can't really use it as it only stays up for about 5 minutes (at the longest), I'm struggling to get the inspiration to keep turning it on and off again until it RROD's.

I'll see how it goes over the next week or so, and if it's still not gone, I'll get on to MS, and tell them it is doing and RROD intermittently.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the reply.

The biggest problem I'm having is that it's been doing this for over a week now, and still no RROD. And because I can't really use it as it only stays up for about 5 minutes (at the longest), I'm struggling to get the inspiration to keep turning it on and off again until it RROD's.

I'll see how it goes over the next week or so, and if it's still not gone, I'll get on to MS, and tell them it is doing and RROD intermittently.

Mine was doing it for about 3 weeks :(
If you log the repair via Xbox.com and just state the fault as 3 Red Rings and that it is intermittant they should repair it fine.
They will just replace the insides of it :thumbsup:

Deftones

D2TheQ

My mates xbox has the same graphics glitch, when he called MS support they said the GPU (?) is going & its not covered by the extended warranty and would cost £79 to fix. I advised him to try and force the 3 RROD as they will replace for free.

You can Google how to get the RROD but its not advisable. If i was you i would try and overheat the console by leaving it on and keep out of well ventilated areas for a couple of days. DO NOT try and open the console as this will void the warranty.

Just for your information my xbox is currently getting repaired and the online repair service is fantastic. The delivery takes a while as goes off to Germany however when it gets to the repair centre it only takes a couple of days. If covered by the warranty all delivery charges are covered UPS just turn up at your door and then ship it off - no hassle what so ever.

Hope it works out for you.

SwinBob72

Well spent about 8 hours last night, turning it back on again whenever it crashed (Made for the wierdest gaming session I've ever had, only managed to complete one race on Forza before a crash).

During this extended session the machine did refuse to reboot on 5 occasions with the RROD, so I've filled in MS's online repair thing, and informed them in that report that the RROD was intermittent. They have put the invoice through as a free repair, but do mention that if the console has no evidence of having ever had a RROD then I will have to pay for the repair.

Can they tell if the machine has ever RROD'ed? Is there some sort of error log stored in the firmware somewhere?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T9/X Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom