Is my Denon 3801 knackered?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Family Guy, Nov 8, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll start this thread in a way that normally makes me cringe, however, doing so mayhelp me get the problem sorted, so here we go...
    MY SET UP CONSISTS OF (AAARRGHH!!!) a Pioneer DV 05 Elite DVD player, a Denon 3801 receiver and a set of Boston 555 THX certified speakers. (I'm actually saving for a big Denon at the moment).
    I have a problem on DTS soundtracks. It started with the Rock criterion edition and I thought it must be a one off disc. The DTS track sounded muted and lacks any sort of oomph.
    However, Air Force One and The Fifth Element Superbit discs are the same. On the Fifth Element, the DTS track is clearly 4 or 5 db lower than the Dolby Dig version and lacks the edge that most people say DTS has over Dolby. Other DTS discs I have tried are Jaws, Galaxy Quest and MIB. These sounded fine to me but are DTS only discs so there is no Dolby Dig track to compare them with. Gladiator sounds fine in ES mode so I am thinking that it must be the quality of the disc, though I thought that Superbit discs were full bit rate DTS tracks.
    Anybody else have a problem with these or any other discs?:confused:

2. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I can only comment on the unit I've got - AVC-A1SE - and both Dolby Digital and dts are similar in power and dynamics (dts slightly more if anything).

I suspect you are no fool and have tried these things that I'm about to list below, but:

Is the dts output set to bitstream on the DVD player (i.e. does the Denon lock the dts signal);
    Are the speaker levels set to the correct level (and the tone controls) for the dts mode?

You could try a microprocessor reset of the Denon.

Mark

3. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does lock into dts mode and the front panel reads dts. I don't know if there are different levels for Dolby dig and dts. I'll have to look in the manual.
    Any advice would useful. Any 3801 owners know how to set the dts level? (if there is one)

4. elaysian

elaysian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 3801 and haven't noticed the problem you have. DTS soundtracks are just as (if not more) dynamic and clear as DD soundtracks.

You might want to look at the LFE pad settings for DTS. You may find that it is set too low. To do this press the 'surround param' button on your remote while watching a DTS movie.

Oh btw. The Rock soundtrack, in DD, to me sounds very low and un-dynamic (justr as you describe the DTS version). I think you may find its just the film soundtracks themselves.