is my cpu ruined?

jayr6666

Novice Member
Hello all,whilst applying thermal compound to my p4 cpu i dropped it and one pin was bent.I straightened it but my pc will not boot into windows or even install a fresh copy,is it a gonner?

Naqv

Yes, it's probably had it if you can't boot.

Can you see the bios screen or the PC does not boot at all?
If it does not boot at all, then it's had it.

Saying that, I had a Athlon 4400 X2 and I broke 1 outer pin, and it still booted fine and worked for 2years+ (still going I think, sold it).

Depends on the pin, as some pins on cpu's are redundant an do not do anything, but your's is a P4 so it's had it I reckon.

kevshed

Hello all,whilst applying thermal compound to my p4 cpu i dropped it and one pin was bent.I straightened it but my pc will not boot into windows or even install a fresh copy,is it a gonner?
Hard to tell... IF, you have managed to pull the pin straight, and it still has a good joint (vs it getting brittle and breaking) - then you should be ok. What could have happened however, is that once the tension has been applied to it in the socket, it could have broken.

Try taking it out of the socket.. If its all still attached when you remove it, then i'd say the CPU should be ok - they are not as fragile as you may think.

Kev

Krakin

The following assumes that you know cpu was to be put into a computer that you know works with it, and you had it out while you changed heatsinks etc. If it's a new one you just made up there can be less awful reasons such as the bios needs resetting, or the motherboard needs an update to accept the upgraded chip (although that can be a pain too if you dont have an old cpu lying around with which to get the computer working to do the update).

If you can get into the bios check the cpu temperature, could be the heatsink.

Other than that the best you can do is take it out again and have another look.

The leg may have detached after the chip was put in the socket, theyre very fragile. If it's has and you can get it out of the socket then I have heard of them being successfully reattached with solder and a very light soldering iron. Wouldn't like to try it myself though.

Another possibility is the chip was damaged by the fall even if the leg was successfully straightened although more likely another was knocked off and you didn't spot it. You don't say if it fell onto concrete or carpet etc (doesnt take much to bend a leg) so it's hard to assess the likelihood of damage. Harder the floor worse it is obviously.

The one problem with removing the cpu chip to check it is that you need to reapply a heatsink solution before you pop the heatsink back on again, and before you do that you need something like Arctic cleaner to get the old stuff off successfully (even if it looks totally clean after something like a rough paper rubbing which you shouldn't do, there will be a residue which needs a proper cleaner to remove. I tried that on an old cpu to check for myself).

jayr6666

Novice Member
The cpu was dropped from a height of approx 2ft onto carpet,outside pin bent but straightened again.I can get into bios but as its an old pc(not a custom build)theres not a lot i can see in there to remedy this.Tried a few times to re-install,either wont get passed the"kernall debugger"screen or says"cant complete installation,code 4".whatever that is!Thing is u've been having overheating probs with the gpu and cpu for a month now,windows kept switching off but base still on.was ok for a while after changing gpu from a gf5500 256mb to a gf6200 128mb,but then the cpu was maxig out on even the simplistic apps and dring the heat,ive seen this gpu at60c,could i have blown this one too?would bios and windows loading screen be on if gpu was gone?sorry bout the typos,only way i can get online is the archos,typing is a bugger!:devil:

martian1

I would re-set cmos [usually a little jumper on mobo] then remove all memory just have cpu, hard drive, rom drive connected...Once its tried to boot turn back off then install a single stick of ram and try booting again if its ok put other stick of ram in..etc once you know ram is ok and pc is atleast running try a hard disc utility to check drive out or if you have another drive try that.
Problems i have had in past is either memory starts acting up or hard drive is on its way out..With drive it had bad sectors at start of drive were it writes windows bootloader etc and every now and then it would lose it and i would have to re-install..then it just packed up

Here is a little info i found..:thumbsup:

Windows Installation Error Code 4 or “setupdd.sys” Could Not be Loaded
Posted Windows Servers, Windows Desktop Fixes on Saturday, August 27th, 2005.
Many years ago if I had seen any errors during the installation of Windows my first assumption would have been that some of the hardware wasn’t compatible or had failed. Now its been at least three years since I’ve seen a bad stick of RAM. Three years made it easy to forget to check most of the basics when I saw the following error during an install of Windows Server 2003:

File setupdd.sys could not be loaded.
The error code is 4

Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit.

The quick solution: try pulling all but one stick of RAM (hopefully you have at least a 128MB stick for Windows XP or a 256MB stick for installing Server 2003 or the Windows Vista Beta…).

According to MS Knowledge Base article #330181 the resolution is the old school - pull any add-in cards and then pull RAM and add it back one piece at a time. Forget wasting time on that much effort. I did some searching to save myself from pulling the SCSI controller and all the other fun stuff out. Based on anecdotal evidence from a number of web forums the most likely problem is a bad stick of RAM. Should pulling and switching RAM fail, try to disable the CPU’s L2 cache or switch out the video card. A bad CPU or video card seems more common than a PCI card issue based on the web forums.

Good luck :smashin:

HellRazer

Standard Member
From what you are saying I reckon it is either a memory problem or a hard drive problem. If you damaged the CPU the motherboard won't even boot into the bios let alone allow you to attempt an install of Windows. Bending pins and then straightening them again is perfectly fine though just don't do it too often.

I would suggest you change the hard drive or else try different RAM. A high CPU load would mean the page file on the hard drive might not be utilized or else the RAM isn't functioning correctly. Though if the RAM isn't functioning correctly you would be receiving random blue screens saying there are memory dumps etc...

Just my thoughts on this issue.

jayr6666

Novice Member
thanks martian and hellrazor,you're right of course.Yeah searched myself last night and the exact same info on "code 4" you did.Got a warning tone when one particular memory module was in by itself,tried the other one and waddya know,booted straight away and the heat issue is gone.I was about to bin this pc but avforums and the net yet again prove themselves to be invaluble.Thanks everyone.

martian1

Glad you sorted it..relief i bet :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom