Is my camcorder faulty or not?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Mr Lazy, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Mr Lazy

Mr Lazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Hi

Last week I thought my Samsung MiniDV camcorder had gone duff, now I'm not really sure if I should get a new one or not, so seeking some opinion...

The tape was full so I ejected it. When I then tried to insert a new tape the tape cage mechanism refused to load it - the tape would go all the way down but immediately be ejected. No messages on the LCD. I tried it about 5 times I guess to no avail. I tried it on battery and on mains. Some time later (it may have been the next day I don't recall) I tried it again and the tape loaded ok. I made a test recording using the new blank tape and I also tried playing back the previous (completed) tape - I don't remember which order I did this in but during playback all I got on the LCD was a grey screen with faint horizontal lines. I came to the conclusion that as the tape transport appeared to be ok that the playback head must have developed a fault. I'm pretty sure this isn't a condensation/change in temperature sort of thing.

I have spent the last 5-6 days researching the purchase of a new HD camcorder (either HDD or HDV) to replace it.

However, I tried it again today and it's now playing back!!

So, what would you do? Has anyone ever had anything like this happen?

- do I keep it and take the chance that it was a one-off event (though will I ever have piece of mind that it's not going to lose footage of the kids/holiday/etc.?)
    - get a new one on the basis that this sort of thing never goes away on it's own?

FYI, the camcorder is just over 4 years old. Not interested in getting it repaired as it has already been repaired once (CCD went after it was dropped!) to the cost of 180quid.

Also, do I tell the wife it's currently working or keep shtum? ;) In fairness, she was quite keen on the idea of getting the latest technology to film the kids, only drawback is that we can't really afford it right now, but are prepared to let the credit card take the strain if there is no option (ie. not filming the kids is not an option).

Cheers, Steve

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    It sounds like there are some issues with the camcorder, but they are intermittent.

Frankly Samsung DV camcorders don't have a very good reputation.

I'd be honest with the wife, tell her it seems to be failing, but for now it's working again. Then either keep it until it fails for good, or replace it now.

I recently has a shower pump fail. I hoovered the dust off of it so I could see the model number to replace it... and now it works. :) Slightly different as I have no desire to replace the pump... replacing your camcorder will be be with a better one, so you have different motivation...

3. Mr Lazy

Mr Lazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Indeed, and speaking from experience in the telecomms industry, intermittent faults are worse than permanent ones (from a diagnose/repair POV anyway).

Yeah that was tongue in cheek (well mostly). Hopefully she'll agree with me that it's not worth taking the risk. God knows where the money will come from - why do these things always happen after Xmas? (not to mention both cars needing major services in December etc. etc....sob) :mad:

Anyone else got an opinion or had something similar happen?

Cheers
    Steve