Is my brand new Denon AV1803 broken?

R

ravenfield

I bought a brand new Denon AV1803 less than a week ago. Today, while I was watching Private Ryan on my Pioneer DVD, suddenly the amplifier only produces strange noises similiar to hundreds of birds chipping. I was shocked and rushed to turn down the volume and stopped my DVD player. Quickly after that, I turn off both devices. When i turn them on again, there is no sound via any digital signal (coaxial or optical). The amp knows that digital signal is present (LCD display shows digital) but it refuses to turn on Dolby Digital or DTS and I don't hear any sound. I tried to select dts but still no sound and either DD or DTS will lights up. I've tried the AUX input and it's dead silent as well. However, Analog signal works fine (composite). I have reset the whole system (as described in the manual) but the problem remains. Is there any other way I can try to fix my brand new Denon AV1803? I have only had it for 5 days!!!!!! Please help!!!!

Hi ravenfield, and welcome.

Sorry to hear your having problems, and hope I can be of help...?
First off, have you set up the digital output on the Pioneer to DD/DTS, and also the Denon input to AUTODETECT for detecting ALL types of digitally encoded material...? Sometimes if the digital IN/OUT's are not correctly set up you can get "digital noise", (It should be mentioned in the manual for the Denon).
If this is set correctly, check the digital connection from DVD to amp and make sure it's firmly connected, (what kind of connector are you using CO-AX or OPTICAL..?). If this is OK, try a different lead. Check the cabling to the speakers in case there s a stray strand touching the back panel or another speaker post.

If all this fails and if at all possible try a friend's / neighbour's / family member's DVD player with the Denon to check it's not a fault with that (unless your 100% sure of the DVD player and have had it connected to a digital amp before).

If the problem persists there will be no problem in sending the Denon back to the suppliers for a refund/exchange.

Hope you get it sorted soon, let us know how you get on.

TTFN

hi the mechanic

thanks for the reply. so far i've tried 2 different optical cables, 1 coaxial, coaxial input, all three optical inputs, optical aux input, my bro Toshiba DVD (not pioneer, my mistake), my crappy Yamada dvd, my Xbox (via AUX optical). have tried resetting the amp about 4-5 times. I managed to get it working for about 5 mins this mornig from a cold start. I don't know why but it just came alive after 10 minuts of silent and atm I was standing in front of the TV wondering. I heard the usual click sound and noticed the Dolby led lights up. I switched the Toshiba to DTS and the amp changes fine. But after ~five minutes, all five speakers went back to silent while the DTS led remains for ~2 more mins before turning off. For the rest of the afternoon, i had no luck in getting it to work. stereo works fine but not via digital signal, only composite stereo.

both me and my brother took turns to test it. I have taken off all the speaker cables and he put it back again but still didn't help. i've contacted empire direct and they will send someone to pick it up, becos it's out of stock i want them to fix it rather than a refund. this is my first 5.1 system and i only had it for 2 days *sad*

regarding the digital noise, it happens suddenly. like in a scene where two guys talking normally and suddenly all the noises breaks into small segments and came out in turns from all the speakers. sounds like hundreds of birds chipping. I don't know if i should blame the amp or the DVD.

ravenfield,

Sorry to hear that you're having problems with the denon. I've recently upgraded from a 2802 and to be honest had no problems at all with it. But, I do remember something in the manual talking about "safety mode" and something about the standby light continuing to flash. I think if I remember correctly that it had something to do with the impedence of the speakers.

I'm sorry if this post is almost something out of "Mark and Lards Vague News" slot, but I hope it helps.

If the 1803 is like the 2802, when you turn it on via the button the standby light flashes for a few seconds; if it continues to flash, I think it's for the above reason.

Hope that helps

Cheers all

ravenfield,

Just had a look at the 1803 pdf manual, and there is something in there about the protector circuit on page 18.

Good luck sorting it.

Cheers all

hi guys,

about the standby led, mine is working fine. it flashes for a few seconds at startup only and remains lid after that. i don't think it has anything to do with startup, just won't switch over to DD or DTS when receiving digital signal. but i do thank you for your view, at least i can check whats right and wrong.

where did you download the pdf manual? i have returned my amp to empire direct and i can't check up what's the pg 18 about. i hope they can fix it else i'm stucked with 5 speakers with no amp.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom