1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my amp faulty

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by JamesOD, May 19, 2001.

1. JamesOD

JamesOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi I need help with my amp (Kenwood 7030) and my sub (Yamaha YST-SW90).

The problem is that everything was working fine up until last night but now the lfe info is so low it’s virtually non existent even with the volume cranked up, there is a signal but it is very low.

But when I connect the sub directly to the sub out on my DVD player the bass is loud and clear I just want to get a few opinions on which one is at fault I think it’s the amp but the signal is still there just at very low volume.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,208
    Hi mate

Just a thought but you haven`t accidentally switched on a late night mode on the amp?

Also known as Dynamic compression which would reduce the bass output !!

Just an idea

Cheers Carlos

3. JamesOD

JamesOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    First thing I thought of but alas its not the problem.

I am just trying to figure out what to replace if its the amp its an excuse to buy the new Denon and if its the sub well thats just another can of worms. :D

4. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,208
    Why do i get the feeling you don`t realy want to find the cure ;) :D

5. torimusic

torimusic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would recommend the following method of connecting your sub to your amp. I'm assuming your amp is an AV receiver with front main RCA pre-outs. If your sub has line level RCA left/right inputs then connect the AV receiver's left/right front mains pre-outs to the sub's RCA level inputs with a stereo RCA to RCA cable. In the AV receiver's setup, set your front main speakers to 'large' and set the LFE to go to the front mains rather than the sub output. I'm not sure how your receiver works but in my receiver (Onkyo TX-DS777) you set the sub to 'none' and the front main speakers to 'large'. This causes the processor to route any LFE info from a DVD to the main front outputs through the speaker outputs as well as the front main RCA pre-outs. You will get better results this method than using the sub jack output from your DVD player or receiver (I'm also assuming that you are using the DD,DTS decoder in the Kenwood rather than the one in the DVD player).

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Why would you want do that? This defeats the purpose of the LFE (and use of a subwoofer) and increases the load to the fronts which now duplicate the LFE as it's routed to sub and front speakers.

Besides, some AV amps will shutdown the internal amps when pre-outs are used, so your fronts may remain silent ...