1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my amp crap?

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by Fronkjunior, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Fronkjunior

Fronkjunior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 'Reactor RA-302' 300 watt bridgeable amp. I have installed a JL Audio W80 8'' sub in a box and it sounds terrible. Its quiet and it sounds like its torn - but it isnt. It even sounds bad at low volumes.

Should I get a better amp, is that the answer? This was a cheap e-bay buy but the speaker has been recommended.

Please help........

2. Sab

Sab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I have not heard of the Reactor Ra 302 amp and the other item you mention. I would advise you buy a few hifi mags - What Hi fi, Hifi Choice etc. from the newsagents and look at the magazines' last few pages for the reviews of their best products. This will give you an idea about price and peformance.

Then demo a few of your favourites at the local hifi shop This will give you an idea as to how it looks like and sounds. Start off with a budget system if you want then upgrade when possible and please take into account money for good cables and a hifi rack as these are essential.

This should ensure your system sounds good and if you want you can buy it ex-dem or second hand to save you cash.

3. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    JL Audio are fairly well respected for good subs however i can't comment on the one you refer to as i've never heard it. Can you try the sub out by connecting it to a friends installation to see how it now sounds? Is the sub mounted in an enclousure of the correct size, type and construction?

4. Artie Fufkin

Artie Fufkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Sorry, I'm not able to directly help with your dilemma but I thought I'd post this link out of interest. It's the only thing I could find on Reactor amps. I would doubt that the amp is bad - it sounds more like something's not set up right.

5. khalilk

khalilk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello ,

not heard of reactor but jl subs are good .. they have a wide range of speakers subs .. from budget to top end expensive , i am would guess this is an entry level unit ,

things you need to check ... the box volume , is it as recommended by the manufacturer ?

second, try a different amp and different signal feed !

good luck in getting a tight clean bass !

KK

6. SillySausage

SillySausage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I'll avoid the fence like others have ;)

Yes the amp is quite probably rubbish.

Looking at the specs, 300W max is nothing and certainly not enough to drive the sub properly.

However, make sure all your connections are good and that you are using the propper gauge power and earth cable.

Then check that all the settings on amp and h/u are flat with no bass boost things on.

Now check that the sub is properly sealed in the enclosure.

Is the sub in a sealed or ported box ?

It it is ported, then is the box to JL spec ?

If it was me, I'd make sure all the above was looked after and if it still sounds pants look into another amp of around 100 to 150W rms mono, and see how that sounds.

Cheers,
    Adam.

7. robgraham

robgraham
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reactor amp, i think that is made by Fusion, they have a reactor range of products, 300watt max is not really enough to power a sub, even if it is 8 inch, JL make very high quality products, go on their website and check for the correct box size for your specific sub, could make a difference, and it is a Fusion amp, i am running my JL audio sub off my 4 channel fusion amp and sounds brilliant, also check all the wires are secured properly, or may just be that you have a blown sub.