Is my ‘new’ (Vodafone contract) Huawei Mate 20 Pro a refurb/return phone?

bruce-leroy

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Hi,

On Monday, I agreed a new 24 month contract for the aforementioned phone with vodafone retentions. This morning, it arrived via DPD.

I have several issues with this ‘new’ phone that do not sit comfortable with me and feels more than a little “off.”

Firstly it arrived, not in an official Huawei factory sealed box, but in a plain box with Vodafone red and white branding/logo on it. I have never known a new phone to come in a plain box before so looked online, and it appears that it goes as far back as 2014!

B17663D8-DE19-4719-953B-662B20C3F27D.jpeg My phone in a plain box

Re: plain white box for new phone? - Community home

The above thread suggests that they were re-conditioned/return phones, so just further fuels my suspicions! Also, why would it not come in the original box (apart from apparently buying in bulk according to the thread in the voda forum).

The other thing that causes concern is that there is no screen protecting/transparent sticker on the front or back of this phone. Looking at YouTube unboxing type reviews, those Huawei mate 20 pros had those stickers on the front and back.

I’m just really unhappy with the whole situation. The plain box and packaging doesn’t hold the phone in place properly; it moves and rattles all over the place. The new SIM card just came thrown inside the bag rather than in an card wallet like they always used to.

My nephew and wife’s friend has this phone and they both came for them in the original factory box and packaging (albeit on a different network).

Has anyone else on here experienced this recently with vodafone upgrades?

I’m taking it to the vodafone shop tomorrow as I’m not happy to accept the current phone - I’m paying a lot of money over the 24 months. It really does feel like a phone that someone has returned in the cooling off period and they’ve repacked it in a vodafone box, and sent it to me. :(

Before I take it back, is there a way to prove that the phone sent to me is a brand new phone (not refurb or return)?

If you aren’t happy just send it back. Plenty of contracts out there. Just get one where you are happy. It’s not worth the niggles. Their loss and move on.

If you aren’t happy just send it back. Plenty of contracts out there. Just get one where you are happy. It’s not worth the niggles. Their loss and move on.

I went to the vodafone shop and they swapped it for an officially boxed (sealed) phone. :)

I just bought the missus a new phone;
A Huawei P30 lite or whatever.
What worries me about this and I've seen it at least half a dozen times, is that the phone number is pre- populated and it's not the correct one.
I've never been sure why that should be, but everything has looked exactly as new.

With a company like Vodaphone, I'd expect it to be brand new.
But I do wonder if there's some sort of get out clause on their part.

Here's one for you;

I have a friend who bought a 2 year old approved BMW from a BMW dealer, with BMW's remaining warranty.
It was a convertible and he had a load of trouble with the roof.
Eventually, he discovered that it had been involved in a crash.

When he asked the dealer why he hadn't been told about it, the dealer replied that he hadn't asked, hence he didn't have to tell him!

If he'd asked if it had been involved in an accident, even if it wasn't categorised, as in this case, the dealer would have been obliged to answer honestly.

What sort of law is that?
And how is it fair to the buyer?

I just bought the missus a new phone;
A Huawei P30 lite or whatever.
What worries me about this and I've seen it at least half a dozen times, is that the phone number is pre- populated and it's not the correct one.
I've never been sure why that should be, but everything has looked exactly as new.

With a company like Vodaphone, I'd expect it to be brand new.
But I do wonder if there's some sort of get out clause on their part.

Here's one for you;

I have a friend who bought a 2 year old approved BMW from a BMW dealer, with BMW's remaining warranty.

When he asked the dealer why he hadn't been told about it, the dealer replied that he hadn't asked, hence he didn't have to tell him!

If he'd asked if it had been involved in an accident, even if it wasn't categorised, as in this case, the dealer would have been obliged to answer honestly.

And how is it fair to the buyer?
Re the incorrect number, this is a known fault with android
had it on my S7, S8 and OP devices
just search ‘wrong number on android’ on google

does sound odd, but I would expect it to be brand new. i know providers used to ask the manufacturer not to box them before shipping to themselves, as they would need to ‘image’ them with their settings and apps before giving them to customer - ultimately, it’s their property.

A law that someone doesn't understand.

The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 prohibit commercial practices that are unfair to consumers. If a trader misleads you, fails to disclose an important fact or engages in an aggressive commercial practice and you make a decision to purchase a vehicle that you would not otherwise have done, they may be in breach of the Regulations.

For example, a trader may fail to inform you that the vehicle has previously been accident-damaged or may claim it is 'sold as seen' to avoid their responsibilities to you.

If you have been misled or a trader has behaved aggressively, report your complaint to the Citizens Advice consumer service for a referral to trading standards.

If you enter into a contract because a trader misled you or because the trader used an aggressive commercial practice, the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 also give you rights to redress: the right to unwind the contract, the right to a discount and the right to damages.

These rights are in addition to rights you have under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. The 'Misleading & aggressive practices: rights to redress' guide gives more information.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom