1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is MS Genie still the best speakers ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by richard76, Oct 3, 2005.

1. richard76

richard76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering is the MS Genie speakers still rules the 'best-value' and 'best-quality' wall-mounted speakers in town right now ? Otherwise , which are the current competitors ?

2. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,616
    Its worth looking at the Cantons . Loads on the forum have them , including me :thumbsup: . See the powerbuy thread , not to sure on the current prices , but I would imagine they are still a bargain.

John

3. richard76

richard76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone comment on the latest reviews/comments about the best sat/sub package in the market right now. I'm into like 60% muisc and 40% movies.

Please kindly advise.

4. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    How much do you have to spend, and what are your size limitations if any?

5. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,193
    Given your emphathsis on music I fear that you may find the small sub/sat systems a let down. I threw together a cheap (around £300 for CD player, amp and speakers) stereo for my kids and imho it beats anything I've heard from sub/sat systems.

The small sats tend to be weak in low frequency and mid range. The sub obviously helps with the LF and works well with cinema, but the resultant weak mid range is a let down for music.

Of the small sub/sats you will find that the bigger convential sets like the Wharfdale Diamond 9, Mission Cinema 30 or Castle Compact will deal with music much better. Obviously they don't have that compact contempory styling, although the Castle Compacts can look very good because they use real wood veneers with a wide range of choice.

Cheers,

Nigel

6. jonandjen

jonandjen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    B&W MT20 package is probably now the best of the current crop in this price range. Performance and looks are stunning. All current reviews back this up also.

7. richard76

richard76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Guys... Any more recommendations for Sat/Sub speaker packages?

8. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    A bit more info on your budget would be good to see what others are in your price bracket!:smashin:

9. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    if you can up to around £1200 then Monitor Audio's titchy Radius speakers are very nice, cant remember the model number, but basically they cube shaped and small, but they belt out a fair old tune, and you can match them up with a decent sub, better than the MA one u normally get with them....either REL or SVS or similar.......(personally i recommend REL because i like them, other people here will point u in the direction of SVS and another make i cant remember..lol)....

10. richard76

richard76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think after considerations and checking out at the audio store yesterday, I've decided that MS Genie is still my preferred speakers package. M&K MT-20 is good but beyond my budget.

Also, good news is I saw that the Genie speakers now comes in classic Black colors... coolzzzzzzzzzzzz !

11. faiz_01

faiz_01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I picked up the genie's + denon 1907 + £40 of cables for £550!

very happy with them :thumbsup:

12. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Try

Anthony Gallo Micro/Adiva Ti :thumbsup::thumbsup:

or

Monitor Audio Radius :thumbsup:

13. bsimmer3000

bsimmer3000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    the ms package is good for its price but be aware it aint fantastic for music. I had the same package about a year ago and worked ok with movies but was very disapointe with music SQ. was so disapointed I upgraded to the B&w XT4 as even the b&w mt20 didn't have great music quality. but in the end it depends what quality of music audio you are happy with.

14. starre

starre

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    i'm with bsimmer3000 and nheather on this one: the ms genie will not really be satisfying for music. it is very simple to check out. take your favorite music CD to the audio store and have the salesman demo the genie system in stereo (2.1 - that is, only the front left and right speaking plus sub woofer playing). that will give you a truer impression on how these small satellites/sub systems reproduce music. not even close to what cheaper traditional bookshelf speakers can do.

i searched and searched for a new satellite/sub system to replace our aging 25 year old stereo for our small apartment (my wife insisted on only ONE "SMALL" sound system). i tested and retested all the best brands with my music (mostly jazz - vocals) - genie, MS, sid-cub, cantons, quad lites, kef etc - and came away with knyght byte's recomendation: monitor audio radius 90 system. although lacking a bit in imaging and deep bass, to my ears it is the most musical and dynamic small sat/sub system out there.

15. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The MA Radius series are nice... but did you test the Antony Gallo Micro or Adiva too? ;)

16. starre

starre

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    no, i did not. my journey into finding the right speaker for me started with the terrible mistake of believing a very convincing internet review regarding Orb speakers which are more or less the same as the Gallos. my wife loved their look but their sound for music was so thin and unsatisfying. i sent them back to the states for refund (no problem) but lost $200 in shipping and customs fees. i realized from the Orbs that such small speakers will never deliver the fuller sound i was after. try the gallos - maybe you will have better luck.

looking back, i learned the best lesson from my mistake: only your ears and your music can decide which speaker system is the best for your requirements and budget.

don't be afraid to go to a lot of stores and demo alot of systems. don't rush, it takes time and enjoy the show (especially all the pushy salemen) !

17. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25

I know... I have a pair of A.Gallo Micros for rears (check my signature) :thumbsup:

Whem I lestened to them I learned there where at least some musical satellite speakers! ;)

Previously I was after a pair of MA R90 for surrounds with my previous MA RS1 fronts! ;)