1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Minolta A1 too good for me?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by melliott1963, Oct 3, 2003.

1. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am currently using a Fuji Finepix 2800 and, on the whole, am very happy with the results I am getting.

I mainly print to 6x4 but occasionally go up to 10x8. Even at this size, the 2 megapixel resolution seems quite acceptable.

However, there are times when I need to crop the picture for better composition. Sometimes when I do this, the print quality doesn't seem so good. I'm not particularly 'zooming in' to a small section of the photo, usually just changing a landscape photo into a portrait layout.

My first thoughts were that this was a limitation of only having a 2 megapixel camera. However, I now suspect that it's actually caused by the fairly high jpeg compression used by Fuji (the jpegs produced are usually only around 300k in size).

Because I'm quite fussy over the appearance of my photos, and also because I enjoy buying new 'toys', this has prompted me to start looking for a new camera.

My eye has been taken with the new Minolta A1, but my question is as follows. Bearing in mind I never need to print higher than A4 size, is this camera going to be overkill for me? Instead, might I be better off, going for a cheaper 3 or 4 megapixel camera which has good quality jpeg compression?

As a side issue, having been used to the 6x optical zoom, whatever I get needs to be just as good or better. Also, I wouldn't mind a camera that performs better indoors.

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

2. charlaph

charlaph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Only you can decide if it's overkill, but from the sound of your problems I would imagine any good quality 2mp+ camera that could store uncompressed images would be suitable. At A4 size I would imagine the more mp the better though.

If it's the compression that's causing the image degradation, storing in RAW or TIFF format will solve it. Although this will impact on your requirements for storage (you'll need a LOT of Mb) and also the length of time the camera will take to save the images (generally longer for higher res/uncompressed)