Is Microsoft Access any good?

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by cunny678, Aug 8, 2013.

1. cunny678

cunny678

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +693
    Going through some big changes at work so I thought now would be the time to up date everything as I will effectively be starting from scratch from a software / hardware point of view.

For the last 20 years:eek: I have been using Lotus Aproach (database), Wordpro (word Processor) and Organiser (Diary). I have always put off the idea of starting something new as I know my way around the above with my eyes shut!

However, Lotus is no longer supported by Microsoft and is probably out of date so I thought I would look at using Microsoft office as a replacement. Lotus Aproach seems very customisable, but from the Old Office 2003 that I have had a little play with it seems very limited!

Is access any good?

Is the newer version better?

Does it integrate with the other Office apps?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated:smashin:

2. Singh400

Singh400
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,370
    Integration from each application within the Office package is very tight and done well. Access is pretty polished and you should be able to accomplish everything in your older database. I'll admit to not being a fan of the UX in Access 2007 and onwards. I prefer the UX of Access 2003.

3. cunny678

cunny678

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +693
    Sorry, is UX user interface?

The 2003 version of Access I have looks a bit spartan but I have only spent a few minutes on it. When I get a minute I will have to see if there are YouTube tutorials.

So hopefully I will be able to do everything that I can do in approach at the moment.

4. cbmvic20

cbmvic20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    UX is user experience.

I also prefer 2003, worth doing a custom install and selecting the wizards and advanced wizards. It'll get you up and running much quicker.

Might look simple at first but is powerful and worth digging into. You can write code to do more powerful stuff.