1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is Metroid Prime for kids ??

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by jamieuk23, Jan 19, 2005.

1. jamieuk23

jamieuk23
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    is this game Metroid Prime for the gamcube just for kids ??

+ is it any good ? from looking at the screenshots doesnt look that good.

what are your thoughts ?

2. Marwhite

Marwhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would say it's more of an adult game, certainly wouldn't call it a kids game. And yes, it's good.

3. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I assume you mean is it suitable for kids? in a word, yes (it does have a 12+ certificate on the box however)

4. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    It is more of a mature game really, the difficulty of the game is such that smaller kids would not be able to really get anywhere near completing the game.

Also, the game relies heavily on exploration and text based communication to convey the storyline. Ideally you would want to be around teenage years 13+ to really appreciate the game.

If you are thinking of getting it for yourself then do so, Metroid Prime 1+2 are the best action adventure games EVER released IMO, beautiful graphics, amazing level design and some of the most fiendish puzzles and bosses you will encounter in a video game.

Screenshots do this game no justice, the beauty lies in the environment, how it moves and reacts to you. When you walk into a raining zone, you can see the rain move in the wind, you then look up and the droplets form on your visor, amazing attention to detail.

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/simpleratings.asp?rankings=y

4th best game ever released according to gamerankings and deservedly so.

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I agree with everything that's already been said (although I've not played or seen MP2).

Great to look at, great to play but a mature style. There's certainly no big scary monsters or blood or corpses and the like (OK, there's a couple of dead space pirates but they're in space armour so not exactly distinguishable).

Very rewarding to finish too. :)

6. mr ooops

mr ooops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +353
    ive been off work sick today and have found myself playing this in between being sick :( great fun although id forgotten how annoying the control system is, stil,l agreat game that can be got for nothing these days

regards

7. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    why do you ask if at a "kids" only game? strange, it aint thomas the tank engine :)

8. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    There is no strafing unless you are targetting something, which can become amazingly annoying!

I am currently playing metroid prime 2, and IMHO it's better than half-life 2 and almost as good as halo 2.

9. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I love the control system - it's so much easier than trying to quickly aim at something with an analogue stick alone

10. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I'm playing Metroid Prime 2 at the moment and it's just so unbelievably beautiful to play, look at and generally think about that it seemed worth resurrecting this thread to remind anyone who hasn't played either of the Metroid Prime games that they must make it a priority to do so. :)

11. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Is #2 that much of an improvement over #1?

12. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was one of the people who had a Gamecube for a while but never thought Metroid looked all that great. Decided about two weeks to get hold of it, and I'm slowly but surely getting through it, half an hour a day. It's a fantastic mix of exploration, puzzle solving, FPS, strategy as well.

In a ratings sense, it's certainly suitable for kids, but that's like saying 1984 is suitable for kids because there's not much sex or swearing.

For some reason, Metroid wasn't considered as the Halo for Gamecube (ie, console selling game, not a direct comparison), and should have been. It's excellent, and I will be getting Prime 2 asap!

13. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Prime 2 is basically more of Prime 1. Different store, different power ups, new puzzles and maps - much like the Zelda evolutions. :)

14. drskhaled

drskhaled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    MP1 is a good game, pretty hard but rewArding. The controls make it easier with the auto lock but is not very flexible. I'd rather have the usual controls so you can look around while moving. This is more important than youd think as it is a metroid game with large levels and plenty of secret areas. Since its not easy to simply look around you might miss bits and at the same time you cant truly admire the graphics.

After a while though yu get used to the controls and it ceases to bother me now.

15. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The controls are like that so the game "feels" more like the 2d Metroids, which IMO works great and manages to make the game more of a platform/adventure/shooter than fps