1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is marantz better than denon in dvd

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by whitewolf, Jan 12, 2005.

1. whitewolf

whitewolf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the denon 1710 . can the marantz 4500 beat it in video quality.

2. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried the marantz over two days . thought it ok bit bland picture nothing special for the price , sound ok but you know for a £200 player this was just ok like my old 4300, My Limit 900se better everything inc build for half the price i thought i would be a fool to buy the 4500 for more than twice the price of the famous Limit 900se i have, I have read in these forums the cheap denons are just that cheaply built and nothing like the better built expensive ones they do, saying that the marantz looks cheap and tacky so what to do ? :rolleyes: All in my opinion though if im allowed one !.

3. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    whitewolf please see PM

4. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I previously owned the Denon 1910, and can say that the Marantz DV4500 is far superior in every aspect. The Marantz is a very high quality machine in every regard. If I had to guess the price I would say at least £350. Speaking from experience, the Marantz blows every sub £200 unit out of the water. Keep it up Marantz :smashin:

5. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sure is news that one forum member here has tried EVERY SINGLE ONE, can you believe that how many is that you have tried then ,any other person tried them ALL any other informed opinions? i have not tried them all like the gent here but the marantz i tried was just ok in my opinion not worth the asking price only in my have not tried everyone opinion of course.gave it 7 out of 10 imho. :devil: :hiya:

6. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Under£200 i think you said! better than ALL of them . OH got it thanks!under £200. :smashin:

7. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    There is one thing, I heard in many shops that all the marantz players are basically the same as the pioneer players (same Video DAC'c) only with bette audio components.
    If you want it purely for DVD viewing you might as well get the Pioneer 989Ai as it will be cheaper.

8. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    I heard that Marantz & Denon merged a couple of years ago so I would expect them to be of a similar quality at each price point.

9. Ovation

Ovation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They are owned by the same parent company (which also owns MacIntosh Audio) but they are NOT merged. Down the road, this might happen, but it's not happening now.

10. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    Agreed, the big Marantz units still have more in common with Pioneer. My DV8400 is broadly a Pioneer DV747 with a DVI output bolted on it. The latest DV9500 still has quite a bit in common with the 868.

11. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many of my DV4500's characteristics are similar to my previous Denon 1910, i.e. identical smooth drawer action, similar very quiet ticking when first reading the disc, but I feel the Marantz is the far better performer visually and sonically. I am quite happy to use this as a CD payer too rather than buying a seperate CD player.

Out of all the DVD players I have tried (over the past two years so still fresh in my memory), the only player that matched the Marantz for audio quality is the NAD T512. The NAD was excellent with CDs. I would go as far to say it was almost on par with my old Marantz CD63. I never thought I would see the day to hear a Marantz DVD player sounding as good as my old CD63! There is a mode which enables you to switch of the front display, thus allowing the unit to concentrate full on the audio side, which I think is also very good.

Another similarity between the Denon and the Marantz is the remote control. Vertually identical layout of buttons, and the shape/size is exactly the same. The remote also feels equally well made.

At last! I feared I would have to fork out for a much higher-end DVD player after trying so many budget/midrange models. Thankfully, I can now rest my mind and enjoy every aspect of my new Marantz DV4500. It even looks the part too :clap:

Cheers everyone :beer:

12. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some saying the marantz dvd player is pioneer some denon under its slightly to my eyes anyway cheap looking skin,for £200 , so does any one know?I found one thing not many dealers seem to stock the marantz dvd players and not recomending the marantz gear at all ,when i went to audition try the marantz player i had a real problem finding a dealer who stocked any marantz stuff at all ,those that do marantz told me much the same there is little demand for marantz now bad build bad aftersales support and a cheap clone of one shop said phillips,anouther denon, and like here another pioneer , sevenoaks hi fi said there is no demand for the brand they would get it but the build is cheap these days and the marantz brand a model of unrealiability his words " DONT GO THERE" , when i found a dealer to let me try i found the marantz only average cheap looking the sound no better than my old toshiba and not a patch on the sound of my Limit 900se that makes the marantz look and sound like a what it is in my opinion and a lot of dealers a cheap denon/pioneer/phillips clone, but does some one whose in the know or works for the perhaps soon to be defunct ? marantz brand (one dealer told me) know any more. So maybe play safe like the sevenoaks hifi guy told me he said look( "MARANTZ STUFF! DONT GO THERE" ) :D :nono:

13. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    abnett,

Most of us who have been members for a while now have already sussed you out and are aware that you have been temporarily banned a few times now. I have received several PMs from members informing me of your juvenile behaviour towards other members and the fact that all you are interested in is to cause arguments, rather than to help other members make serious decisions with 'reliable' information. Have you not noticed that nobody has any interest in what you have to say in your posts here? It's because YOUR OPINIONS ARE NOT REAL. We know you are making stories about trying the new Marantz DVD player, having actually used it etc etc. We know you have no real opinion of the Marantz build quality. We know that for some childish reason you don't want other members to buy Marantz equipment.

I could go on much more about you behaviour on the forums abnett, but I think we're getting the message now.

I have found the AV forums to be very helpful and useful. I enjoy taking part in discussions on various AV products/systems, and I like the fact that many members have listened to my recommendations on choosing their equipment, and have came back to thank me and other members for our advice. I have also gained a lot of useful information on AV equipment and am very grateful to all the 'helpful' members. As I have said before, it is a real shame that the minority of members like yourself has to spoil the community with unacceptable behaviour. It was absolutely no surprise to learn from others that you have been banned in the past.

If you have nothing real to share with us, or are prepared to change and actually take part in friendly group discussions here, I suggest you leave the forums and don't come back. Otherwise, I can see yet another ban coming up - hopefully permanent.

For those of you who are new to the forums, don't believe a word of what abnett has to say in any of his threads/posts. Trust me.

14. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I always though Marantz had strong ties to Philips, no? Maybe that was just their CDPs.

15. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I think it is more pioneer now, I know their high end players are Pioneer clones with tweaks to improve their musical ability, oh, and much nicer clothes :).

Build quality is superb on the Marantz models I have seen, I really haven't seen a Marantz unit with bad build quality.

One does need to be careful of what some dealers say, some just rubbish a brand as they do not stock it or their margins of profit are not as high, always better to source a demo and make your own mind up, home demos are best as then you are setting up the equipment as well, and not being fooled by any dodgy setups to sway you in another direction. Of course many dealers out there are fantastic, and will give you unbiased advice, the difficulty is finding them.

More often than not a dealer can judge when someone knows what they are talking about, and some not so nice ones will take advantage of the ones that don't.

16. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Keep it to the facts people.

Marantz used to buy the basic unit off pioneer( internals)then just beef up the audio section and added its own case.

Marantz is owned by D&M Holdings which also own Denon and a couple other companies. They are not tied or merged at present as marantz still has its own identity.(i used to think Denon owned Marantz as well but was pointed to the right site for D&M Holdings)

Marantz at present does not use any Denon internals. starting from the DV9500(not a pioneer clone) marantz it seems did all the design as this is not a clone unit.
    Its build is first rate, Marantz also owns a well known speaker company.

Marantz may still use clone units for its cheaper models, but will have to wait until there next bunch of units are released to be sure.

17. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Whitewolf, I thought you were going to buy the Marantz DV9500 anyway? What happened? You want a top end source for those Kef Reference speakers you have.

18. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont know why you said the bad things here ref me exept you seem hell bent on telling lies about me ,its you should be banned are you looking at his post to me mr administrator ? do your job sir, all my post was telling and im not a liar is that i bought on a return if not satisfied a marantz dvd to see if it was better than my Limit and to see if it was worth paying an extra £100 for the marantz , if it was i was going to change ,maybe! then i spotted the gent ref the marantz stuff could be pioneer/denon and the sales guy said was phillips and my post was to ask if any one knew and the info gained when i investigated the narantz dvd player , so why this insulting post to me (Mr administrator) why are you poking again your big nose into what is nothing to do with you , exept it seems you bought a marantz praised it to heaven and told us all to go buy one as you KNOW it is the best there is under £200 because youve tried them all (is that so)? then you go on to say (Mr administrator) not to believe me. is that not a banable offence also I will be interested to see as might others reading your insults to me , I wonder if this forum is just a private club for you and others who are marantz share holders exept i repeat the shops ib spoke to mostly told me to NOT GO THERE when i asked about marantz stuff and not many even stocked it and my own opinion on the marantz dvd was poor in the extreme for £200, if im allowed an opinion, as many others on the forums do whats wrong with that, over to you Mr administrator what do you think of GFS nice words about me lets all here it sir thankyou.

19. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes Kas ive allways used marantz for years but found thec cheapo marantz player for £200 was well chepo and just average for £200 ie you would be foolish to pay that for an average player like this imho but oimo i would not like some say it was the best player under £200 go buy it ha, and i was interested in knowing why so many dealers told me dont go there when i talked about marantz stuff why was that .also who the brand who is its owner nowintersted me many different opinions, also i bought a 7400 receiver good build that one and sound but not as good imho as the pioneer1014 i changed the 7400, so nice to be able to learn and folk should be able to tell there findings /there opinions and we should be able to praise or not a product without fear that helps us all .why then cant marantz make there own high end player? that seems odd. thanks Kasman. :D

20. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SO the chepo£200 player is cloned ,thought so this is not built like my old 4300 and other marantz stuff iv had in the past, that tells me a lot my surprize on testing the 4500 how average it was in performance and the light build , thanks for that info. :rotfl:

21. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I take it by the speaker company you mean Mordaunt Short? If so Marantz do not own them, they are the distributor.

22. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    yeah sorry, my bad.

23. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure of the exact similarities between Marantz and Denon units, but I can say I have had two Denon unit's the Denon 1910, and the now discontinued DVD-1400, the latter being the better machine (£400 RRP back then). The 1400 was a very good unit. To be honest the only reason I changed was to update to the new 1910 when it came on the market. You could soon tell the differences between the new 1910 and the older 1400. I soon realised I wished I had kept hold of my older 1400. For some reason I thought with the 1910 being newer, it would be a far better unit picture quality wise, but sadly not the case.

The closest unit I have had to the Marantz DV4500 is the older Denon 1400. These are very similar indeed. In fact, the only big difference is the fascia. I would say the Marantz is ahead though. Picture motion is much smoother, colours and detail are much stronger. The Marantz is better with CD playback and surround audio also. I also feel the Marantz is better built than the Denon. Simple things like the feel of the fascias buttons - much better quality on the Marantz.

I think this is quite an achievement from Marantz, especially when you consider the £400 price tag of the Denon 1400. I am still quite astonished with the quality.

24. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    My DV8400???? :D

25. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    Well until you ask for it back :laugh:.

26. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    An opinion was passed which didn't fall foul of board rules.

27. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Just to put my 2p worth in, I have a Marantz 4100 DVD player which I have heard is a Philips in diguise. This is also backed up by the fact the I can control the DVD player with my Philips TV remote and they look very similar. That might have just been the case 4 years ago though.

Richie.

28. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    :smashin:

You are ok at the moment mate.

29. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    I can't remember the model numbers. I had access to a two Marantz players and they were awful. The most irritating thing was they were so slow in responding to the remote. One press on the remote and the players didn't do the command for abotu 10 seconds. They were also quite slow in recognising discs.

I would have Denon over Marantz any day.

30. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    Well I have owned or used (important distinction!) over the years, a 4100OSE, 4300, 6400, 8300, 8400, Hollywood and the DV12 and I felt all of those were quite speedy. The Hollywood is the most suprising- the bloody thing remembers the last play position of about 12 discs at a time.