Is Lovefilm the only UK on demand/streaming films

silverpuma

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I need some advice where to begin. For starters I have Sky HD and the full moves package but I was thinking of cancelling the sky movies and get the lovefilm package for £9.99 per mth so I could stream to my PS3. Is this a good idea or am I better to stay with sky. Bottom line I like the idea of being able to watch new films in HD on demand. I'm not interested in free dodgy sites and am happy to pay for a good service.

On a general point is Lovefilm the only UK site that does this streaming on demand idea that I like. I think in the US this is popular with Netflics are they coming to the UK? I read that sky have on demand movies on their skayanytime+ if you have their broadband but I'm with Virgin and and very happy with them so that route is out.

Any advice would be appreciated..............thanks

Netflix is launching here in the UK early 2012. Im guessing as a streaming only offering as i havent heard anything about them offering disc rentals too. The problem with both services is that new movies dont tend to appear on these services until maybe 6-12 months after a disc version is released.

If your happy Paying for Sky then stick with that.

Im moving to my 1st flat soon and decided that im not going to get Sky. Instead im going to have BT infinity installed and intent to go down a lot of the streaming/ On demand route.

Blinkbox is something im looking into more. Its run by Tesco and they offer movie streaming. However, if you purchase a DVD or Blu-Ray version from them, you get a streaming version for Free.

Most of my Movie collection is Blu-Ray based so im more after TV content. Hulu Plus is what im really after but im struggling to find a loophole to get it to work over here.

Thanks BenchyUK, lots of good info.

Not to go off subject but is it the Infinity broadband or TV that pushs you in BT's direction over Sky or Virgin?

I'll read up on the Blinkbox, I confess I never had even heard of it. Must be getting old LOL. lots to consider...........thanks again for taking the time to help:smashin:

Netflix is launching here in the UK early 2012. Im guessing as a streaming only offering as i havent heard anything about them offering disc rentals too. The problem with both services is that new movies dont tend to appear on these services until maybe 6-12 months after a disc version is released.

If your happy Paying for Sky then stick with that.

Im moving to my 1st flat soon and decided that im not going to get Sky. Instead im going to have BT infinity installed and intent to go down a lot of the streaming/ On demand route.

Blinkbox is something im looking into more. Its run by Tesco and they offer movie streaming. However, if you purchase a DVD or Blu-Ray version from them, you get a streaming version for Free.

Most of my Movie collection is Blu-Ray based so im more after TV content. Hulu Plus is what im really after but im struggling to find a loophole to get it to work over here.

Last edited:
The way i've looked at it, we've never had Sky at Home. Cant get it here at my parents house because we could never get the signal. Too far out in the sticks. So for all these years, i've lived without it and reckon i can continue to do so. Im not into sport and it sounds like of Sky content is rubbish.

Where im moving to, standard ADSL is 2-5mb yet i am able to get BT Infinity which is quoting me 32mb. For the future, i think more emphasis on content will be Online and reckon it's better to just have a better Broadband to support it.

Microsoft apparently have an awesome 1080p streaming service but like most services, its the price which puts people off but hopefully over time, it will improve.

HMV seem to be getting into the streaming buesness never tried it myself though so have no idea on price etc..

hmvon-demand - welcome to our online film service
Thanks Killing Time, you would have to think streaming must be something that will put an end to or at least take a large chunk out of the DVD rentals sometime reasonably soon.

I've found Sky fine but I like the "on demand" aspect these others have. especially if you can get films at or before the time they are released on Blu-ray/DVD. I may try the free trail with lovefilm and see how it works with my PS3. Netflix coming early 2012 looks very interesting and before I make a final decision I will try to wait for them to arrive.

One thing I do do is use my wifes tesco clubcard points to buy 12 DVD/bluray rentals for £15 of Tesco vouchers redeemable in my local xtra-vision store. This is a nice stopgap until my points run out................LOL

I don't think the LF streaming is HD.

Lovefilm streaming is definitely not HD. It's barely SD. If you're even remotely used to watching in HD, you won't be able to stand how LF looks. At least, I can't. Plus, the selection is awful, and anything new costs extra money on top of your normal subscription. I wouldn't expect full HD on a stream (though the option to download it in full in HD rather than streaming would be nice), but they need to vastly improve their service before Netflix get a foothold.

After thinking it through I have decided to just keep going with Sky so I can keep my HD quality and use the tesco coupons for the cheap blu-ray rental.

Once Netflixs comes to the UK I will reassess then, but if they just do SD streaming I'll need to pass on them as well. But if they allow HD quality downloaded to play later then w'll see. Till then Sky is hard to beat. Thanks for all the helpful advice...........:)

Keep Sky, Netflix won't even topple Lovefilm or even the Skygo app on the iPad and 360 which is bloody awesome.

Watch live TV where ever you are and a massive list of films to stream from (which change weekly/monthly).

I like LoveFilm, because at least with BluRay you get true HD, picture and Sound.

SkyHD is DD over optical cable, so a poor choice for home cinema enthusiasts.

I have tried LoveFilm streaming over ps3, and the choice is poor, but the picture is terrible. It's like stepping back in time. Not worth considering, IMO. I have watched films which were not available in BR format only.

I watch one or two films a week, and LoveFilm works perfectly, always having best quality BR available to watch whenever you want to. I was finding with Sky repeats, that I never felt the need to record them to fill up the Hard drive, but when I wanted to watch a film, ones I wanted had just started. I realise this is my fault! Also, the knowledge that the soundtrack was not HD annoys me to.

It cannot be emphasised how terrible Lovefilm PS3 streaming quality is. Even SD iPlayer streams on the PS3 are streets ahead. It is almost insulting to compare to YouTube as I've not seen such pixellated vids from there in years :laugh: Better off renting Lovefilm discs, PS3 is a fine Blu-ray player and SD upscaler

It cannot be emphasised how terrible Lovefilm PS3 streaming quality is. Even SD iPlayer streams on the PS3 are streets ahead. It is almost insulting to compare to YouTube as I've not seen such pixellated vids from there in years :laugh: Better off renting Lovefilm discs, PS3 is a fine Blu-ray player and SD upscaler

Since I started the thread maybe I can be allowed a slight detour from my original question:)

Is Lovefilm the best for renting Blu-Rays out of the renting online sites if I go for the unlimited monthly option?

Don't think there are too many complaints with their postal service. Have used trial myself and old uni flatmate used them for whole year for games and DVDs without issue. Consider a trial. Best current trial offer is probably 1 month free trial with free £20 Amazon voucher (ADM01), in additition to the ones on their site:

OFFICIAL LOVEFiLM Promotion code | LOVEFiLM Discount Code & Voucher Codes | LOVEFiLM

Used that Amazon code myself and voucher gets emailed after a week when your first disc is winging its way over :cool:

Don't think there are too many complaints with their postal service. Have used trial myself and old uni flatmate used them for whole year for games and DVDs without issue. Consider a trial. Best current trial offer is probably 1 month free trial with free £20 Amazon voucher (ADM01), in additition to the ones on their site:

OFFICIAL LOVEFiLM Promotion code | LOVEFiLM Discount Code & Voucher Codes | LOVEFiLM

Used that Amazon code myself and voucher gets emailed after a week when your first disc is winging its way over :cool:

Thanks for that and I'll try them out.............

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom