1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is lipsync a forever problem with plasmas?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Vipen, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    With many generations of plasmas passed we now have screens which don't burn your face (like Andi Peters when he kissed it on live tv).

But what's the score with lipsync. My brand new PW7 decided every now and again to wiggle peoples mouths at the wrong time and it's slightly annoying. Luckily it's not as bad as i thought it might be on NTL, some channels good, some bad. But i even get it with DVD. i wasn't aware this might be a problem.

so why if i feed my old crt a signal from dvd and route the audio to my a/v amp, is everything spot on?

i can understand that people say it's the processing of the plasma, but is this really acceptable? can it never be remedied??

i'm still happy with my purchase but would like this cleared up. a delayed a/v amp may be a solution but it's not addressing the fundamental problem.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The fundamental problem is the miles of signal path in a plasma display, clearly there's not much lag in the glass itself. It must be the processing, so unless someone comes up with a shorter signal path, or someone proves Einstein wrong, we are stuck with it. Just as a point of interest, I find less trouble with lipsync on my PHD with the DVI board than via the VGA.... Maybe subjective, it's hard to measure.

3. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hmm, so is the problem also the same with LCD and new RP and projectors? i'm just weighing up exactly where we're at right now.

Surely an a/v amp that has delay feratures would then mean those channels not affected would then be out of sync too right?

and surely someone could come up with a shorter siganl path. what about built in analogue tuners? do they suffer too?? what about built in anything, would this resolve the problem (like a viera)?

4. dave0523

dave0523
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Relax - it's not as big a problem as people make it out to be.

I only notice it very rarely on some "low grade" satellite channels.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    That sounds like an admission! What 'low grade' channels are in your pack!

Generally screens with built in tuners do have lipsync correction built into them. There is no way to be bang on with every channel though, a medium part of the problem is with the broadcasters, my wife and I debate this problem whilst correcting yet again for a fim or something. We reckon if we got a 17" LCD and only watched that, we'd never notice the lips moving at all, so end of problem.

6. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    DVD EMR-55 to PW7 via component with optical to NAD T752 a/v amp playing Phantom Menace.

It is a problem. If i notice it it's a problem.

A problem i have to live with maybe, but nevertheless, it's well known that all plasmas have some degree of issue here. i haven't tried any other dvds yet but the very hit and miss nature of this 'problem' surely has to be addressed in order that mainstream takeup will eventually happen.

i simply can't see your average joe from the street spending all his hard earned bucks just sit down and accept this as some inherent problem that can't be fixed. some of these people watch tv talk (yabber yabber out of sync) shows for a living!!!

so, lcds et al have this problem?

7. dave0523

dave0523
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, I guess it's an admission of sorts, but it is not a problem for me - and I'm fussy!

Low grade channels? The ones the wife watches, while I'm out working my socks off!

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I don't have lip-sync problems with either my Hitachi plasma or my Benq projector on any of the major channels. Others can have problems. ITV2 and ITV3 (3 especially) are the worst of the "bigger boys". I really think that ITV3 uses a Pentium III/500 do do the MPEG encoding :zonked:

9. Baron

Baron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, i have apw7 fed via component from a yam ax750. I have put a 50ms delay which seems to be about right for most programmes.

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    A pragmatist at last. Yes indeed, the best compromise is the best place to be. We rarely change ours, in spite of having 2 options to do it, 1 in the amp, (oknyo 801) and 1 in the iscan HD.

11. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    yep i leave my amp on 60 delay and no worries anywhere

12. sisko

sisko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I had a similar problem on my 37" PW7.

Solution, one Yamaha DSPAX750 amp and about 60ms of audio delay and voila, no lip synch errors.

OK at £349 it wasn't a cheap fix, but the Titanium colour matches the colour of the plasma than my old black Pioneer.

13. nokianut

nokianut
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Vipen

Are you using the scart board on the PW7 or a different connection.