1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is lip-sync really an issue?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Geert, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Geert

Geert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking about buying a tuned receiver based on the Sony 790 receiver but it hasn't lip-sync adjustment and in a couple of months I will be buying a plasma (Panasonic 500 I think).

Is the lack lyp-sync adjustment realy an issue, a reason for not buying this receiver?

Which Plasma-screens suffers from lip-sync problems and should be avoided?

Is lip-sync a real problem with Plasma that should be taking in account buying a receiver now and the plasma later?

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Potentially all plasmas can suffer from it but a lot depends on the source. I've only ever had noticed it twice and, on both occasions, it was from a Sky+ recording of Coronation Street.

Other than that, I have no problems either when watching Sky or DVD.

John

3. scrowe

scrowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    No, I don't think it's a real problem, but that doesn't mean you won't experience it. There is no doubt that plasma technology will introduce a fraction of a second delay that you don't notice in reality, but if the source material also has a fraction of a second delay (fairly common) the effect gets doubled and you then notice it.

This was also a common problem with DVD in the early days, whereby certain films and certain players combined to give clear lipsync delays.

I have a Lumagen scaler into my Plasma 505XDE and I tend to need a 2.0 fps delay on my Amp to stop myself noticing any lip-sync effect.

4. Geert

Geert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, it seems that there is nothing "really bad" to worry about and a receiver without lip-sync adjustment shouldn't be a "certainly don't buy".

Hold me if you think different ;) and otherwise... thanx guys for the info.

5. AIO

AIO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have cable and none of the channels has a lip-sync problem. Samsung PS42S4 aka SP-4251 here... :smashin:

6. scrowe

scrowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    My opinion would be that if you are spending £600+ on a receiver then I would ensure it has lip-sync adjustment for the sake of future-proofing, because you never know what future combinations of A/V equipment will introduce into the mix. For this much money I would expect the facility for the price. If you are looking at cheaper options then it would be unrealistic to expect the funtionality and sound quality should be utmost priority, not tweaks and funtionality.

7. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    agreed.....even budget level yamaha amps (£250) have audio delay

8. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    buy an amp with audio delay, my pw6 suffers terrible lip synch so had to buy a separate delay module and route all the audio through it.

Make sure it's there as you might regret it.