1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Lide a troll?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Stuart Wright, Sep 11, 2005.

?
  1. Yes, ban him

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. No, let him hang himself

25 vote(s)
    83.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,427
    Discuss

2. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    He seems more than happy to end up with the same comments no matter what thread he is on. He is getting on my nerves, but I think sooner or later he'll realise that his one level reasoning just doesn't cut it with the people on here.

3. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,179
    Interesting too that he appeared the week following somebody posting the 'whatever happened to master rahl' thread... ;)

4. Lide

Lide
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You got to be kidding me?! :eek:

An "administrator" asking the rest of the forum if I am a troll and whether I should be banned?! :rolleyes:

Now I've seen it all. :eek:

Stuart, that's not right what you are doing. You know very well I am not a troll. That's not very nice, or fair. :(

5. seb

seb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    okay so I am new to this forum, but why is he being picked upon ? his views are in opposition to many, maybe most who post here, but I am agreeing with much of his stance on america and Bush, who is allowed to post on this forum and who isn't ? He has not been offensive in my opinion, actually there have been some offensive remarks against him from others here.

I have voted no, but do not wish him to 'hang himself' either.

6. seb

seb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    simultaneous posting again ! no conspiracy guys.......

7. Lide

Lide
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why am I getting on your "nerves?" What have I done or said to you that has bothered you so much?

Why not simply join the discussions or ignore the ones that get on your nerves? What am I missing?

I've been respectful to everyone and yet that same courtesy is alien to quite a few posters and all because they don't agree with my views. Does everyone have to agree with each other in this forum?

Not very nice and certainly not in keeping with the concept of a discussion forum.

8. Lide

Lide
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I really appreciate that Seb. That's a very nice and decent thing to do.

It's quite clear that I am not welcome here so I sense in the end I'll lose because my views and opinions don't conform. Obviously being American doesn't help either. :(

9. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    You get on my neves because every single thread i've come across has always ended up with the same comments/views/arguments, and you keep getting the same answers and then you bail out. It's almost as though you are doing it on purpose to wind people up.

I'm not against your views, I agree with a few of them, or anyone elses on this forum, that's why it's one of the best level headed sensible forums i've been with. I wish i had found it years ago, and I can't stand Blair or Bush so i'm not anti US in case you're wondering. In fact in one of the threads i actually asked you about your health service

I'm not blaming you on how you see the world from that side of the pond. I haven't visited the US for long enough to comment. But I just get the feeling that you already know the reaction you are going to get from the other threads but you still continue with the same comments.

10. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: I have a tear in my eye. :smashin:

11. Lide

Lide
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not at all. You can't really expect someone to keep repeating themselves ad nauseam. Lets be sensible, eventually the same discourse, over and over, needs to come to an end.

I've also tried my best to steer posts back on topic.

Do you think it is "level headed" that a thread has been started to vote whether I am a troll and should be banned? :confused:

So only my comments are disagreeable to you? Not anyone elses like the overt anti-Americanism and personal insults?

For every exchange there has to be more than one individual involved and yet you are just focused on me. Why? I have not engaged in the kind of things I mentioned above and I have reasonably explained why I may stop posting to a thread, or as you say "bail out."

I don't "bail out" of anything but I surely know when something is a lost cause and a waste of time.

It's also a bit odd that you haven't even contributed to the posts except this one to now criticize me.

12. Lide

Lide
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sadly, that says a lot. :thumbsdow

13. Moosh

Moosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +470
    I've been lurking on quite a few of the threads that Lide has posted on including the one started by Lide about India and China (which I think has been deleted). Even though I personally don't see the logic to many of his/her arguments, one of the best being that [paraphrasing] women in Iraq will no longer have the urge to become suicide bombers because of our troops being there [/paraphrasing], and that Lide can't admit when s/he is wrong (but a lot of people have this failing) I think a ban would be wrong.

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Although I haven't read every thread or post I must admit that I don't find Lide any worse than quite a few others here - many of whom will no doubt be responding negatively to this thread soon due to their inability to recognize their own style in others.

His points of view are interesting and as valid as anyone else's and he doesn't descend to personal abuse like some of his opponents.

15. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Well, what else can you call someone who comes out with a contraversial topic and says "discuss", gets shot down in flames, and then says "Lost cause. See ya. :hiya: " when he can't win the argument ?

Don't ban Lide - he's a blinkered fool who bites off more than he can chew, but even blinkered fools can provide entertainment on an otherwise dull evening :D

16. Lide

Lide
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ian, I appreciate that.

17. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    It does indeed! :rotfl:

18. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,418
    I don't think Lide should be banned either...but it would be nice if he/she realised that there are many other threads/topics/subjects other than in General Chat in which to contribute.

19. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    'So only my comments are disagreeable to you? Not anyone elses like the overt anti-Americanism and personal insults?'

Where did I say yours were the only ones?

'Do you think it is "level headed" that a thread has been started to vote whether I am a troll and should be banned? '

No, and I voted for you to carry on as your comments are as valid as anyone elses.

'It's also a bit odd that you haven't even contributed to the posts except this one to now criticize me.'

Are you paranoid? I haven't felt the need to comment or accuse you. Show me anywhere I have.

20. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    LOL, you beat me to it! Was going to post a thread here last night along the lines of "Is Lide really Mr Rahl?"

There does seem to be quite a similarity in responsiveness whenever the US is mentioned in non glowing terms, but that could just be jingoism.

21. Lide

Lide
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I never said anything like what you are paraphrasing mmahmed. Nothing even close.

Also, you can't conclude from my contribution to this forum that I "can't admit" when I'm wrong about something. For that to be a valid conclusion I would have to somehow agree with you, or anyone else, that I was wrong about some thing I said within this forum and subsequently refused to admit it. See?

Thank you at least for not endorsing my being banned. :D

22. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I can understand if someone gets upset if they are "flamed" in the course of a discussion that they didn't start, but it's a different case when someone deliberately starts an argument that he knows is going to get heated. Lide was getting a rough ride in one topic and walked away, and then came back and started an even more contraversial argument. It's a well known troll tactic to start a contraversial discussion, then say "Bye Bye :hiya: " half way through it, leaving the others to fight amongst themselves while the troll watches the fun from the sidelines.

23. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    'Why not simply join the discussions or ignore the ones that get on your nerves? What am I missing?'

Why should I not look for replies to threads I started?

24. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Stuart, wouldn't it be easier to check Lide's IP address to check that he isn't (unlikely) master rahl.

25. Lide

Lide
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have posted in a few other sections of the forum Decadence. One being the HDTV section. :)

26. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    I dont believe that Lide should be banned either. He has not said anything remotely offensive and has only expressed his opinions which is his right . If people dont like them then tough- its called democracy! I dont agree with him myself but I wouldnt abuse him/her. Its quite clear he feels there is gr8 deal of anti-Americanism in here. I feel that those who have those negative sentiments should stand up and be counted. I would like to think that such people dont inhabit this board but that doesnt mean that we cant have or express views about this present US adminsitration and the cabal that is the neoconservative movement. Maybe we should point out to him that although the American public would seem to quite accepting of their elected body we on the other hand tend to be less than rerspectful of our leaders and by extension all political leaderships( although I think our American cousins are now having severe doubts about Bush and his cabal not only because of the hurricane but because of the lack of investament in infrastructure and rising poverty -1000000 extra in 2005).
    Lide is quite welcome in here as far as I'm concerned for wes hould be able to debate matters with people with varying opinions.

27. Lide

Lide
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You haven't addressed what is obviously much worse to what you claim I have been doing so my point was valid and well worth bringing up.

Good to hear that you agree.

Uh, how about the first post you made in this crazy thread?

And why would you respond by calling me "paranoid?" That in itself comes across as paranoid. If you were talking to someone on the steet or in an office would you right away answer someone like that? :thumbsdow

28. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,701
    Is Lide a troll?

I was seriously wondering this same thing.
    If you look at his debating skills (no irony intended) You find that his armoury consists mainly of following :-

Non sequiturs - responses that do not follow logically from the previous point.
    Sophistry - fallacious argument especially to decieve.
    Speciousness - Superficially plausible, but actually wrong.
    Selective quoting out of context.
    Misinterpretation of argument (deliberate? or genuine inability assimilate?)
    Diversion - probably his favourite tool, which he must assume people can't see through.
    Examples of this are his attempts to undermine or ignore a point because :-
    The writer uses the words we or us.
    Shouldn't believe what he reads.
    Doesn't come from America.
    Doesn't like America.
    Doesn't know all the facts (only he does?)
    Is anti Bush.
    Has gone off point.
    Etc, etc, Ad Nausseam.

My conclusion is that he is either a troll or else someone who is genuinely unable to see how inadequate his reasoning and analytical skills are.

Possibly more charitable to assume he is a troll.

29. Lide

Lide
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is all real rich coming from one of the biggest heaters of the flame.

Would you like me to quote you on some of the offensive things you have said to me?

You also need to learn the meaning of the word troll instead of trying to fit someone into that meaning.

30. Lide

Lide
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe I missed something, but did you contribute to the discussion befitting the interest one would associate with starting a thread in the first place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.