Is LCD 'burn in' just a myth?!

JJTye

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Samsung LE46M87BDX television and the manual has EXACTLY the same warnings as my older Plasma manual about burn-in. However I have never ever seen an LCD 'burnt in' like a plasma before. I think that Samsung have just taken a Plasma manual and just substituted the word 'Plasma' for LCD. My LE46M87BDX displays static images all the time and has never showed any after-images.

If LCD did burn-in like Plasma according to Samsung, then why don't LCD screens have the same anti-burn tools (eg pixel shift, grey 4:3 sidebars)?

I think you're right.
I have never seen burn-in with an LCD, although I think it did happen in the very early days, for some reason :confused:

It's still possible, been reported on a few monitors and tv's (LCD) however much harder to get image retention than a plasma.

Thanks to both of you for your replies.

Although I have never seen an LCD such as my own burn in like a plasma before, I am aware that if an LCD was displaying the same still image for months on end 24/7 then it may somehow retain the image, but since my LCD is turned off every night, giving the crystals time to 'rest', then I feel I may never have burn-in on in it.

I use the Dynamic setting, but turned off DnIE and Movie Plus (yeugh).

Initially the backlight was on 10, but it resulted in a picture that was far too bright for night viewing, so reduced it to 6. This gives acceptable brightness and contrast for both day and night viewing.

At the risk of answering my own question, would having the backlight on 10 increase the (slight) chance of burn-in/image retention as the backlight is pushing the screen very hard by generating extra heat which may be absorbed by the panel?

I'd disable dynamic contrast- looks blooming awful. Also black adjust.

It is still possible. We have an LCD in our work reception displaying various things, but several images are constant and you can clearly see where the outline has burnt into the image.

I'd disable dynamic contrast- looks blooming awful. Also black adjust.

I am not using dynamic contrast, I just have the panel on Dynamic

Contrast: 100
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 75
Colour: 55
Backlight: 6 (formerly 10)

To me this looks good. Ive tried adjusting Black level before and to me it just smudges low-level detail.

I am not using dynamic contrast, I just have the panel on Dynamic

Contrast: 100
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 75
Colour: 55
Backlight: 6 (formerly 10)

To me this looks good. Ive tried adjusting Black level before and to me it just smudges low-level detail.

urrgghh. No wonder Plasma owners take the mick of LCD owners.

75 sharpness- yuck.
dynamic (still on) yuck

black adjust HIDES shadow detail when enabled. TURN IT OFF.

urrgghh. No wonder Plasma owners take the mick of LCD owners.

75 sharpness- yuck.
dynamic (still on) yuck

black adjust HIDES shadow detail when enabled. TURN IT OFF.

Lol, ok what settings would you recommend with this set?

Change to "Movie"
Disable active colour, dynamic contrast, dni-e, edge enhancment, movie plus, DNR, black adjust, energy saving
Contrast 85-90
Brightness, depends on your source, I think default is 45 which is a bit low, from my own settings 48-53
Colour, little bit too vivid at 50, try around 45
Colour temp, probably depends on your panel type mines Samsung. Cycle through with someone wearing a white shirt until it's white (cool-blue, warm-beige) I have it on normal
Sharpness, way too high at default. Try 20-30

Colour space, depends on board, but I found with one it has red push on the faces, so choose the other one.

white balance- slight red to whites, so I knocked r-gain down a little.

Sounds eminently sensible to me :smashin:

And there was me thinking you were a Plasma fan mate :D

heh my avatar is mick take of plasma owners...

I have a thread on here because I have classic FM burnt into my LCD TV. Engineer coming round on Thursday to have a look

and I have my brightness etc turned down and its only on classic FM for 30 minutes a day.

Change to "Movie"
Disable active colour, dynamic contrast, dni-e, edge enhancment, movie plus, DNR, black adjust, energy saving
Contrast 85-90
Brightness, depends on your source, I think default is 45 which is a bit low, from my own settings 48-53
Colour, little bit too vivid at 50, try around 45
Colour temp, probably depends on your panel type mines Samsung. Cycle through with someone wearing a white shirt until it's white (cool-blue, warm-beige) I have it on normal
Sharpness, way too high at default. Try 20-30

Colour space, depends on board, but I found with one it has red push on the faces, so choose the other one.

white balance- slight red to whites, so I knocked r-gain down a little.

Good settings there, chum. Though I imagine it would be pretty bright with energy saving off, what level is your back light/gamma ?

on the thread title. burn in occurs when phosphor's remain excited because of extended use in one position LCD's don't use phosphor so wont get burn in issues but however the transistors making up the screen could possible be damaged from the same long exposure to a static image (much longer) which could result in problems. At least thats what i'm led to believe.

Dynamic contrast and contrast can result in screen burn / image retention. Disable/ reduce it.

Sounds eminently sensible to me :smashin:

And there was me thinking you were a Plasma fan mate :D

I was a Plasma fan but I have moved on to LCD because Ive had screen burn issues with Plasma.

I had my LCD written off due to burn in from sky news interactive (the right hand box) just wouldnt go away and also a figure outline burnt in,and it was rarely left on one channel for long.

My lcd tv has been on the same channels for many hours and has no burn in yet.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom