Is It worthwhile buying a Panasonic PTAE100 Projector???

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jim N, Sep 21, 2002.

1. Jim N

Jim N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Folks,

I have just been given a price of £1249.00 inc vat for a Panasonic PTAE100 Projector, which sounds excellent.
    Although now after reading through some of the recent posts I am now wondering if it would be such a good idea due to some of the problems with this model !

The problems with bad power supplies, dead pixels, incorrect colour balance, replacement machines and rumours about the model being discontinued or superseded etc etc etc all are very worrying.

The general unit reviews are very good initially, but as you look around you start to hear a lot of horror stories.

Does anyone out there actually have a good report and have a unit that has worked properly since day one and it it worthwhile to take the 'gamble' ??

Your help is very much appreciated, give me your opinion.

2. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The last batch so far have been very reliable! I think the initial problems have been ironed out and we send less and less back! (which can only be a good thing for us and Panasonic)

3. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Heard they will stop producing these PJ soon and replace them with the AE200 & AE300. If it was me id wait.

4. Gojira

Gojira
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buy it man.

You won't look back.

I could't imagine waiting if I was without mine!

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    I have an ae100 and I'm very happy with it. However if I were in your shoes I'd hold off until there is some word on the streets regarding the ae200 and ae300. I myself will be seriously investigating the ae300 when it surfaces.

6. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look at J's post........

Panasonic AE200/AE300 available soon in Japan

I'd wait coz as soon as the AE200 comes out surely there's gonna be a price drop on the AE100 ??

Taz.:cool:

7. Walter mitty

Walter mitty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buy it mate, unless you want to wait and waste money.

Mines been absolutely brilliant No way would I pay more, my pictures stunning.

You wont regret it

8. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I went into the new Curry's in Chester today its just opened and its massive. Near the back they had a wide selection of Plasma displays, RPTV's and three Front projectors. It was good to see them all running together as it gives you a good idea of the quality compared to each other. Now I know alot of people rave on about the AE100 but right below it was the 57" Toshiba RPTV which absolutly blew the panny out of the water. I'm not going to slate the panny as I know its great value for money but if youve got the space and can afford the extra id buy the Tosh. Or at least go and see for yourself you may be surprised at the difference in PQ.

9. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    so the choice is

1) panasonic ptae £1300 gives me a 106 " diagonal picture no screen burn issues with logos etc

or

2) toshiba rear projection tv 57 " diagonal could give problems with screen burn if not properly looked after and probably double the price

i know which one i would go for and i have the panny:D

IMHO the buying the panny is the best home cinema purchase i have made, ok it may have had reliabilty problems in the past but i think these have been rectified and the image may not be as good as the more expensive pj but if you are on a small budget nothing can touch the ptae

10. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    As long as you stay within the AE family you're onto a winner for the money.

I wouldn't know what to do either, but as I'm impatient and childish I'd buy the AE100 right now to get a pj as fast as possible. To date I love mine. Still nothing in this (LCD) price bracket to offer features and performance for the money.

The sensible and probably the right thing to do, is wait until the next generation stuff, and compare it to the competition to see if something better surfaces for the money. Maybe?:confused:

(Have I just contradicted myself?:confused:)

11. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    so
    but youll have washed out colours, bad contrast not to mention any dead pixels you may get.

or

but will give you a far superier picture which looks good in daylight not just in a blacked out room.

chic, i was posting a possible alternative based on what I had seen that day not condeming the AE100. If you had of been stood where I was and seen the difference in PQ for yourself I doubt you would be so sure.

12. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    fair points but you have not seen my set up and the contrast looks good the colour is excellent and the image IMHO is better than any rear projection tv I have seen and also you donot have the problem of sitting in the sweet spot to get the best picture.

If you have wads of cash to spend of couse you can get better than the panasonic but for the money i had i dont think i could have got any better

13. Walter mitty

Walter mitty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You cant compare a rear projection TV with a front projection PJ..They are not even similar..A rear projection TV is just another Tv with a little worse picture and masive caseing.

If you like the Tv`s why bother being here on the projector forum?

It`s obvious you cant compare the two pics, they will be miles apart

14. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,273
    Well my PJ should be here by the weekend and I can not wait

I too have seem a very similar demo sets in my local Currys - for a start and not wanting to turn into an anti-high street store thread - but they where neither quality looking

I doubt very much the staff put too much effort into setting either of them up and in the store the PJ did look the worse of the two but I have also now had the benefit of seeing the Panny set up in a proper demo room and the image is excellent

15. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Why cant you compare? PQ is PQ and like I said I saw both running one above the other. Ive got nothing against front projectors or Plasmas. Some people go out and spend £4000 on a 42" Plasma!
    If you MUST have a budget front PJ then the AE100 or the yet to be released AE200/300 is the way to go. No arguement.
    If you MUST have the best PQ and can afford to stetch to the 57" Tosh then thats what I would do. It may be big and take up room, but a PJ and screen hanging from the cieling arnt exactly appealing either.

But at the end of the day Jim N should go and look for himself and decide wether the size and money saved are worth gaining against PQ.

16. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Duncan, not questioning your judgment of quality as you have stated above your findings were the same as mine. But when you saw the panny in the demo room I bet it was in near total darkness and without a RPTV for comparison.

17. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,273
    They where BOTH in seperate demo rooms and both rooms where in almost total darkness ( just some low level lighting at rear of room much like in a, mmmmmm let me think, a cinema !!! ) which is how I have my room when I watch movies

And in dedicated demo rooms and in the correct lighting I have to say that the AE100 was better - how much so ? not a HUGE difference - except of course it was better - but when you consider the money spent I know which one I prefered - hence my reason for buying one !

18. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    BadAss, under which conditions were they demo-ing the kit in Currys then?

light levels & screen type would be useful, and obviously the picture source being used (dvd or satellite we assume but presumeably without knowing the cabling method used).

the AE100 (or successors) can't be fed by RGB scart for example, so a RPTV could be shown an advantage on some things like a standard RGB Sky or DVD player setup (without additional work).

I haven't seen much difference on demos I've seen, plus the size difference both in bulk and image size being a huge advantage to any decent projector.

19. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I went into Currys because its just opened, I didnt know at the time I was going to read this thread. The light level was quite dark, they had black walls and it was at the back of the shop.

No idea how it was connected.

Like I said before you would only get a RPTV of this size(57") if you had the room to put it in. Like wise you can only get a projector and screen if your room allows. My living room wouldnt take a 57" TV there is a door in the way but it would also get in the way of a screen.

I admit I probably havent seen the AE100 at its best, but I never said I had. I did say that seeing them running together gives you an IDEA of quality comparing them together. And on that basis I observed the Tosh was better in the conditions I saw them in.

20. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    you did originally say the RPTV blew the ae100 away (or similar), but thats difficult if you dont know how the two were connected.

knowing other Currys stores, probably not at the best quality, so not really a clear indication of what either device is like.

as above, the RPTV by default, would have a big advantage with rgb connections from dvd/sky and probably even a better basic picture from the worst quality feed (composite) due to the smaller screen size.

with a more level playing field (better sources, cabling, possibly some sort of scaler), the differences should be fairly small, certainly from other demos I've seen.

the RPTV will always be brighter especially in daylight/ background lighting, but the projector has the much bigger advantage of the bigger screen size and smaller size.

Agreed, both do need space to be accomodated in a room, but its far easier to fit a projector like the panasonic in small < 15ft room than a big 46"+ RPTV without dominating the room totally.

I'd always go for a projector over a much smaller RPTV...much smaller size of the projector itself and the screen size is far more advantageous to me even with a really big living room.

IMHO.

I hadn't noticed the ellesmere port bit... not far from me at all in the Wirral. which branch of Currys was it?

21. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    The new one at the GreyHound Retail Park Chester.

22. Retronana

Retronana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Go for the PJ !

As mentioned before, screen burn can be a big problem with RPTV...

I have had my AE100 since Feb and I've not looked back...in the box....since I been waiting to get a "media room" built...and the good news is:

It should be finnished by mid next week:D

Regards

Retronana

P.S Guy....yes you are invited to the 1st night show;)

23. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had various rRPtv's over the last seven years and never experienced screen burn. It is a grossly exaggerated problem that might occur if a tv is left tuned continually to one channel with a bright logo for weeks on end!

24. Retronana

Retronana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Fair comment....But as Sky seem to be making little effort to sort out this issue....I'll stick to my PJ for the time

Maybe a RPTV inbuilt screensaver may be an idea ?