1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it worth waiting ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by muzza1uk, Jul 9, 2004.

1. muzza1uk

muzza1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Earlier last week I posted a thread asking which was better the Panny E-85 or the Tosh X32. It seemed this forum preferred the Tosh, or maybe more forum member own one I'm not sure. Anyway it seemed that both were liked and had broadly the same functionality and it was personal preference that made the decision. Well I guess I'm swayed towards the Tosh as I want the best Playback, -RW support would be handy and a tough manual is just a challenge !!. However before I dive in, apart from price and increased HDD capacity or both, can the forum see any reason why I should wait a few months. I have a 2-3 year old Panny CRT and I guess my next upgrade will be Plasma or LCD, so I wonder whether to wait for HDMI outputs, for instance. Any thoughts ? I must admit I've waited a while already so may wait for the larger 160gb models like the E-95 or X33.

Muzza1

2. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    20 days to the E95 is why I'm waiting. Could get an E85 now but feel that I might be "missing out."

Really swayed by the big HDD. Can comfiortably put all those shows I watch in one go on there, 24, West Wing etc.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    The bigger the HDD the better - the only point I'll note is that HDD will keep getting bigger so you could opt to wait forever (14 months and we will almost certainly have a 400GB HDD recorder). As a very rough rule of thumb recording at maximum bitrate the capacities are:
    - 40GB means about 9hrs
    - 80GB means about 18hrs
    - 160GB means about 36hrs
    - 250GB means about 54hrs
    Realistically for recording from Freeview/Sky (which are clean, low bitrate signals) then you can record at Standard Play so those capacities double. Only you can decide what capacity suits your needs.

It's more likely that more people on this forum own a Panasonic model of some sort. Until the RX32 appeared the Panasonics were the undisputed king of HDD/DVDRs. As things stand now both the E85 and the RX32 are excellent machines (as I'm sure the 160GB E95/RX33 will be) and you can't go wrong with either. As was stated in the previous thread there are pros and cons of each.

Not really. The most interesting machine on the horizon is the Sony RX10 (ETA November):
    http://www.avland.co.uk/sony/rdrhx10/rdr-hx10.htm
    This has a 250GB HDD (54 hrs at maximum DVD bitrate), an inbuilt Freeview tuner and two-pass re-encoding. It's not a revolution on what already exists but the inbuilt Freeview tuner will make recording easier (you can select what you want to record from the EPG) - although quality won't be better than a standalone HDD/DVDR with Freeview tuner. RRP is going to be £1300 which may put some off.

Of less interest given their recent (poor) DVD recorders is Pioneer's 920:
    http://www.avland.co.uk/pioneer/dvr920/dvr920.htm
    This offers a 250GB HDD and HDMI - again priced at £1300.

IMHO if you would like a DVD recorder then buy the model that suits you best now. There will always be something better on the horizon - Next year we will start to see proper DVDRs with inbuilt Freeview tuners that allow lossless DVB recording. The year after we will see BluRay being added to the higher end machines. But do you stick with VHS in the meantime? No! - go forth and buy!

4. muzza1uk

muzza1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks Rasczak for your opinions, I'll look at prices at the weekend and see what's about. I may end up waiting only if not to buy a larger HDD but to see whether retailers will discount the 80gb models any more. I still have attachments to my current Sony 7700 not because it was a fantastic player but more because it cost so damn much in the first place. Perhaps the £400 80gb models will suit me better than the £700 160gb models especially when I know how cheap HD's are these days. As for jumping in, you can see why my PC build I did this year started life as a Pentium III project and ended up a P4 2.8 with all the bells and whistles. Keep the opinions coming I will continue to look at this thread. Oh also has the Panny E-85 got a Co-axial audio output, thought I read somewhere it it didn't, I know the Tosh has it

Muzza1

5. whatdoiknow

whatdoiknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I wanted a stand alone to produce DVD's to sell to a small client base say 100 or so, which would be the best machine, obviously one with a HDD so I would only have to record the once before downloading to disc, but are there any that do a decent menu which can be set up on the HDD once only.

Thanks

Martin

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
  7. whatdoiknow

whatdoiknow

Products Owned: