• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Is it worth waiting for the Pana SD9 or shall i get a SD5 now?

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
I think it depends on if 25p is important to you. In terms of the "guts" of the camcorder (sensors, lens etc) the two are basically the same; from reviews I've seen quality identical. The SD9 adds a 5.1 mic (not really useful in my view), and face detection (which may be useful, but doesn't excite me either).

I'm not one of those who think progressive is the only way to go, killer feature etc... but given the choice I'd like to have the option.

Solidstate

I'm still looking at the HDC-SD7 because of its vertical layout (which I prefer).
The SD7 looks quite a bit smaller than the SD9 as well. If only they had released a vertical SD9 (SD11?) then I wouldn't have to make a choice.

Does anyone know if editing/exporting the 1920x1080p SD9 footage on a Mac using Imove08 would be easier than editing the 1920x1080i of the SD7. Ease of export to a H264 file is very important to me.

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
There should be no difference in ease of editing between 50i and 25p.
If your final destination is to render to a progressive format, then the render should be faster as there will be no need to deinterlace.

They claim the SD9 is the worlds smallest high def camcorder, so it must be smaller than the SD7, though it may not look like it. (They quote it's weight, so maybe it is the smallest by weight?). I have not calculated the volume...

slowpoke

Hi Solidstate
I was thinking the same thing, I will check the weights to see which is ligher, the SD7 or SD9. I like the form factor of the SD7 and has more of a wow factor
Rob

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
The Panasonic press release on the SD9 says

World’s Smallest and Lightest* SD Card HD Camcorder

Weight quoted as 0.606 pounds

rhubarbe

Yes, I went through all that malarkey when I was trying to decide whether to buy the SD7 or not. I was forced to the conclusion that while one can assume that the SD5 is a cylinder (and the SD9 is too, more or less) and use the formula for calculating the volume of that cylinder, the SD7 isn't a three dimensional rectangle and so the results that would be obtained by using the published h x w x l figures would be plain wrong.

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
Boy I feel stupid... I forgot the formula for a cylinder is different from a cubeoid... :blush:

But agree, it's not quite a cylinder either... and hard to calculate.

Both are small, depends on what shape you like.

Maybe we should put them both in water and measure their displacement... :)

alpine101

I know it's currently the fashion, but I think these 'lens barrel' camcorders are an unfortunate and unergonomic shape. My little Sanyo is much more pleasant to hold and use. On my SD1, I've now resorted to digging out an old cine camera pistol grip to use with it. Panasonic seemed to have moved in the right direction with the SD7, but now they've gone backwards!
The one problem with pistol grip styled camcorders is that they look just like radar guns... But if you want to scare drivers, they're definitely the way to go!

Solidstate

With a vertical orientation camcorder I get a much greater freedom of movement in the vertical plane. Whilst standing I can hold the camera at any height from waist level to above my head whilst keeping the lens horizontally level and operating the controls.

With a barrel type (or horizontal) camera the lowest I can get the camera is approximately shoulder height due the way the human arm bends.

This is useful as when holding the camera in front of my waist I find that I can film crowds without being noticed, and people therefore act naturally. With a traditional camera held at shoulder height everyone can spot you are filming a mile off and you invoke the ducking nutcase effect.

rhubarbe

I agree absolutely. So much so that I bought an NTSC Japanese import vertical SD7 rather than the PAL barrel type SD5.

So much more comfy to hold. :)

Solidstate

Rhubarbe - are you happy with the SD7 overall?
Are there any features that you would like included on an updated SD7?

I'm only buying my new camcorder in May - so there is still chance for an updated SD7 before then - the Japanese Panasonic site has made no mention of the new SD9 http://panasonic.jp/dvc/ and as the SD7 has been a Japanese only release I still hold out hopes for a Japanese only 2008 update to the SD7.

When are the Japanese trade shows like CES?

Davidgilmour

I agree absolutely. So much so that I bought an NTSC Japanese import vertical SD7 rather than the PAL barrel type SD5.

So much more comfy to hold. :)

Same here. I imported a HDC-SD1, sold it after 7 months and imported the HDC-SD7. Very satisfied with it (even though low light is slightly worse than the SD1). I would not trade my SD7 for a SD9.

rhubarbe

The only thing I am not happy about is the appearance of a fault in the video on playbck on my PC. I do wonder if this is due to the PC monitor effect because it has changed since I bought a widescreen monitor. In 1280 x 1024 the effect was a tearing, and now at 1920 x 1080 it's a sort of move, stop, move. Very weird, but once I can get my hands on a Popcornhour or Tvix and can see what it looks like on an LCDTV.

Other than that I am happy with it, yes. If I know I am going somewhere dark I'll take the HV10.

I wouldn't see the point of upgrading to an SD9.

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
So the "tearing effect" you had mentioned may be specific to your PC monitor(s)?
Do you see this with the SD7 directly connected to the LCDTV?

rhubarbe

I don't know, Mark. Both my wife and I are at screaming pitch waiting for a media player that will stream this video. I have looked at every other available option to get the footage onto an LCDTV but have so far failed to find one that works properly or represents good value for money.

I have ordered a PopCornHour from DivXplayer.nl but they are playing silly ******* with the delivery dates and the Dvico Tvix M6500A is delayed yet again.

HTPC MKVI got unceremoniously broken up on Tuesday and MKVII depends on getting some software that WORKS (a long shot with PC operating systems, I know).

I now expect a Popcornhour in late Jan or mid Feb. your guess is as good as mine.

OK, I know I could get a PS3 but it's too deep for my stack and I have no interest in games; I know I could buy a BD player but I feel that is a mug's game right now; I know I could buy the HDMI cable for the SD7 to the TV but I just feel that is a rip off.

So, we'll wait a bit longer.

alpine101

I have ordered a PopCornHour from DivXplayer.nl but they are playing silly ******* with the delivery dates and the Dvico Tvix M6500A is delayed yet again.
Probably because we Syabas beta testers playing with the PCH are still working on the firmware so it's not ready for OEMs like Dvico!!
The PCH does work with my MTS files OK. It also generally works with the AVCHD output from VS11.5, though it did crash on me last night at a consistent point in one of my sequences. Picture freezes but the time line on the PCH continues to march merrily on.

W

Waga Waga

I was looking into the SD5 and didn't realise there was an SD9 coming out until reading it here.

Reading up on SD9, some physical improvements over the SD5 include changing battery and SD card access to the rear of the camcorder, (Think its on the underside on the SD5), which means you can change battery and SD card on SD9 when its attached to a tripod, where as on the SD5, you would have to remove the camcorder from the tripod to get access.

There's info out on the Panasonic UK website now.

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/pukweb04-otm-cam-highdefinition/hdc-sd1/index.htm

any Ideas when this will be released and about how much???

If it is alot more expensive than the SD5, then just hoping it pushes SD5 prices down (as its the older model), then will just get the SD5 instead. Cheapest I've seen for SD5 is £489 which is just about the top of my budget, then need SDHC cards on top of that.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom