Question Is it worth waiting for the Denon X4400h?

Xosted

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm slowly choosing the pieces of the system for myself and I am facing this following dilemma. My needs in power and connectivity are modest (starting at 2.1, targeting 3.1 or 3.2 and hypothetically adding 2 surrounds). I was looking at the X3300 at first, but to be future proof and benefit from Heos, pre-amp outputs and Audyssey XT32, I was thinking about going with the X4300h.
But then, I got to know that the X3400h and X4400h were expected to come out soon (of course, it would have been too simple to have just a simple comparison between two avr...).
So what are going to be the significant differences between these AVRs? Is it worth waiting for the new ones?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Cheers

It's the once every year dilema. Should I wait for the new model? It's like a merry go round and the simple answer is no. Unless there is a really big upgrade in features or quality you can be just throwing money away. The 4300 is an excellent unit and at it's present price point represents really good value. There is very little between the present and forthcoming models, especially with your requirements.

I find pieces of information there and there about the new models but not enough to make an efficient comparison. I guess that regarding the price/feature ratio, it is not justified to wait. But what about the X3400H with Heos now in it, I wonder what else it has which could be compared to the X4300h. Do you have an idea of the key features to be added in the two new models?

What features are you looking for from the X4400 that won't be on the X4300? There doesn't seem to be that much difference for the price.

The X4400 won't be discounted much below it's full price of £1,299 for a while, where as the X4300 is available now at £799. I have got two set ups both with AVRs at this level and I always buy the outgoing model at this time of year to get the lower price. I upgrade every 3-5 years.

I am still running an X4000 in my second setup and it is still perfectly serviceable, albeit I have to run a 4K/HDR splitter alongside it. Given that the sound quality is going to be almost exactly the same as the current models, and I'd be lucky to sell the X4000 for more than £250 even the £799 for the X4300 is a bit unjustifiable so I'll probably wait another year.

The problem with AVRs is that the have all the latest tech built in - some of it you won't need for a few years, some of it you won't need at all, but you have to pay top price for every feature if you buy the new model year.

The 4300 will still be a tier above a new 3400. Unable to compare side by side on Denon's site but the 4300 has more powerful amps and better components. Still has to be a 4300 for your money.

The X4300h for 799? where? That might actually make quite a difference for me of course.

The X4300h for 799? where? That might actually make quite a difference for me of course.
When I type denon 4300 into Google the first hit I get is Peter Tyson @ £799! Richer Sounds also seem to be offering at that price, and I'm sure plenty others are also. Pricespy.co.uk. is quite a good price comparison site.

Thanks. Of course, my settings point to google in the USA otherwise I was going to specific sites which all had higher prices. Sometimes, it is as simple as a Google search with UK added at the end :)

Pricespy.co.uk is a handy site

I've just purchased the X4300h for £799 from Peter Tyson.

I had the same dilemma but the X4400 will be £500 more expensive at launch, it has a few more features the biggest being eARC but I don't require that. So really I'd be paying £500 for an increased spec on the DAC's.

Lee

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom