Question Is it worth waiting a few months before jumping in and buying the Xbox Series X?

HappyGilmore007

Established Member
Reaction score
Wondering if I should wait until December to maybe see if there is any better deals being offered than then £450 maybe even a bundled game? Are any type of deals on price or games bundles very unlikely for the first year? Maybe some of your experienced gamers will know how these things tend to pan out? I have always bought gaming consoles which have been out a few years so they are always cheap at that point so not sure how long it roughly takes to start seeing better deals on console launches.

Also wondering if it is worth waiting to see if there is any initial issues.

Xbox One had a price drop from £430 to £399 with Titanfall included March after release.
But it was overpriced to start with compared to the PS4.
I would not expect a Bundled Game or Price Drop until maybe 6+ months after release or within the first year.

Always the chance of issues with a new piece of Hardware but you are covered anyways.

Only you can decide, just don't expect a big price drop within the first year due to them offering the Series S at a great price point and them being on par with PS5 also on Price.

Xbox One had a price drop from £430 to £399 with Titanfall included March after release.
But it was overpriced to start with compared to the PS4.
I would not expect a Bundled Game or Price Drop until maybe 6+ months after release or within the first year.

Always the chance of issues with a new piece of Hardware but you are covered anyways.

Only you can decide, just don't expect a big price drop within the first year due to them offering the Series S at a great price point and them being on par with PS5 also on Price.

Is the warranty one year to double check? Is John Lewis 2 years by default? (bit out of touch)

Thanks for the great help!

Last edited:
Should think demand will still be high December, higher if you count the Christmas rush, doubt they will need to add incentives any time soon. When the demand dies down and stock becomes plentiful that's when you will start to see bundles.

The fact you can get Gamepass Ultimate for £11 a month should negate any need for Microsoft to do any bundles.

The fact you can get Gamepass Ultimate for £11 a month should negate any need for Microsoft to do any bundles.

Especially as there'll be a free trial in the box as well (probably a month).

You may see other retailers doing some game bundles for the usual big titles COD, AC, FIFA etc, but they'll likely be more than £450 to offset the cost of including a £60 game...

If you're purely waiting for a deal...no.

Wondering if I should wait until December to maybe see if there is any better deals being offered than then £450 maybe even a bundled game? Are any type of deals on price or games bundles very unlikely for the first year? Maybe some of your experienced gamers will know how these things tend to pan out? I have always bought gaming consoles which have been out a few years so they are always cheap at that point so not sure how long it roughly takes to start seeing better deals on console launches.

Also wondering if it is worth waiting to see if there is any initial issues.

Assuming you are in the UK I wouldn't wait till 2021. Pandemic + Brexit cluster**** will ensure the price goes up not down.

My logic with new consoles is the price will always drop throughout the console’s life but the earlier you buy it the more use you get out of it so you’ll always get more bang for your buck by buying earlier rather than waiting for price drops.

Plus, if you wait for a price drop, you could apply that logic indefinitely and never buy.

My logic with new consoles is the price will always drop throughout the console’s life but the earlier you buy it the more use you get out of it so you’ll always get more bang for your buck by buying earlier rather than waiting for price drops.

Plus, if you wait for a price drop, you could apply that logic indefinitely and never buy.

Plus the fact the consoles are already at great prices means they are going to sell well and porb keep the current price of a good while

i would think stock for christmas will be low if any, there priced very well and will sell out when stores get stock until demand falls off

I wouldn't hold off for a deal to be honest. I expect the Xbox to put up a better show this time around. The One S and One X were great, but the launch One and the original One console (with the ill fated Kinect 2) were not. Sony have consolidated their strong brand following during the PS4's lifespan, but Microsoft have done well with the Xbox Series launch so far. They have two good options aimed at very different markets at very different price points and the all access purchase option.

Sure, over the lifespan the price will drop, but at launch, the price you pay for the tech you get is a bargain.

Also factor in that the big Xbox exclusives will be coming from 2021 onwards, then I can only see the popularity of the console growing over the next couple of years. I'm holding off for that reason personally, but that's just me. The cost is certainly not an issue and my personal reasoning is that Demon Souls Remastered is by far my most anticipated launch window game on either system and GT7 is by far my most anticipated planned game for either console. PS5 at launch therefore makes sense for me. On the other hand, cross platform games should have the edge on the Series X, so it's 6 of one really.

I'd imagine the Xbox Series X and S are currently being sold at a small loss or don't have a huge margin on them (going by the fact the similar spec AMD GPUs are not yet, and PC builders trying to make a comparable PC are struggling to match the price points) so I don't think MS have much room to move on price.

I would not expect there to be a price cut this year unless a retailer wants to sell it at a loss for a sale/promotion or Sony do really well sales wise and MS do poorly and MS try to counter with a price drop (but that in itself could be seen as a desperate move and could have a negative affect with consumers too).

Maybe in 2021 the technology and manufacturing would have matured enough for a price drop (i.e. better yields, lower cost for NAND, CPU/GPU die shrunk) to be viable but I doubt you'd see that this year.

Last edited:
i would say they are taking a big loss on the new xbox's, but they will get it back via game pass ultimate, that there driving force now, in the long run they will get the money back this way

I’ve always bought consoles day one and been lucky enough to get one at launch every time.
wouldn’t have it any other way tbh. Although this launch doesn’t really have the titles at launch it has so many other qualities to not have it.
Early adopters will always be that but if you have the tech to go with it (display and sound systems) and can afford it then why not

The only reason I'd wait is to see what the failure rate is or if there's some glaring issue that needs addressing.. Granted it may sound a bit silly and the chances are pretty low but ever since I went through four Xbox 360s in the first year with the red ring, I've always a touch cautious and waited.

I’ve no real need to get one at launch, with Switch, Series X and PC all demanding my play time. With the PS4 I waited until there was a decent bundle with three games, it made the console nice and cheap.

I’m thinking I might wait until there’s a fancy pants edition that comes bundled with a game, Horizon Forbidden West Limited Edition console or something like that, I’ve never had one of those funky consoles before and they probably hold there value better if I ever sell it.

Only thing that could get me to buy one at launch is probably if I’m playing Series X, then switch back to the Pro and the noise and long loads start annoying me, I’m weak willed so I could see myself marching off to Argos and just buying one without much thought.

-edit-
Yeah, I thought I was in PS5 section if that was confusing. I’ve already ordered Series X from Microsoft using cheap credit/MS Rewards.

If you're tempted now, I'd expect youre gonna be disappointed come 10th Nov if you've not got one.
yes we're being fed little in terms of release and series x enhancements and games, but if absolutely nothing gets delivered, existing games will load faster - however the digital foundry guys reply to a guy on twitter chastising Xbox fans who think the series x will magically enhance all games, was interesting.......

If you're tempted now, I'd expect youre gonna be disappointed come 10th Nov if you've not got one.
yes we're being fed little in terms of release and series x enhancements and games, but if absolutely nothing gets delivered, existing games will load faster - however the digital foundry guys reply to a guy on twitter chastising Xbox fans who think the series x will magically enhance all games, was interesting.......

I didn't see that reply what did it say?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200926-073353_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200926-073353_Chrome.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 85
That's why for me the Series X day one was a no brainer. I have no interest in buying any of the "next gen games" at launch, only The Medium really interests me and it'll be in GP so great. AC not bothered, COD looks a backward step from MW, Dirt 5 i like the focus on features, but their games have gone downhill for years and FH4 will be better, especially with the upgrade.

I just can't wait to get hold of the upgraded hardware for the quality of life improvements it will provide to my gaming life in general for the hundreds of games i have in my library, many of which i still haven't touched, including many big hitters like RDR2. The performance leap is astronomical, especially the CPU and obviously SSD. Not long ago i played The Outer Worlds vis GP, not much of an RPG player at all but loved it. It had plenty of depth but not all consuming and needing 100's of hours like some RPG's can be, and put me off. The main negative, like so many games, was loading times especially when selecting fast travel locations. I can't wait to experience games like that with next to zero load times..real game changer. Also things like FH4 loading to get in game, between races, even to get refunded credits for failed auction attempts etc all take too long. This will all be a thing of the past.

For players, often older generation like many of us on here with jobs and kids etc, gaming time is often limited so the more time playing and less loading is all the better.

As for whether worth jumping in day one, that's obviously a personal decision based on a number of factors. Nobody can answer that question for anyone else. For me as above Xbox no brainer because i have hundreds of games in the ecosystem and play on it most days. Yes it'll be cheaper in a year maybe, but the benefits i'll have for that year easily trump the potential saving i might get. Also, traditionally and especially Sony side, later in the generation you'd often get console and game bundles, but with game pass that's rendered irrelevant anyway. Also on that note, if you waited a year to save maybe £50 you might miss out on a number of 3rd party titles that are in GP and the leave during that time, so in reality losing out. GP offers a completely new dynamic this gen and without question the best bargain gaming has ever seen, especially the prices and deals it can be had for. Even after the one off ultra promos you can then get 3 month codes working out about £8/month.

Personally the PS5 isn't something i have any desire to get day one as i'm more invested in Xbox, so will carry on with my slim for now and upgrade that side when i know for sure my current games, again vast and many unplayed, will work BC, alsong with my PSVR and games for that, what benefits there may be etc. I don't trust anything Sony have "hinted" at re BC up to this point. Will probably wait until it either drops, or drops with a bundle worth having, or ideally they increase the SSD size, then i'll most likely bite.

That's why for me the Series X day one was a no brainer. I have no interest in buying any of the "next gen games" at launch, only The Medium really interests me and it'll be in GP so great. AC not bothered, COD looks a backward step from MW, Dirt 5 i like the focus on features, but their games have gone downhill for years and FH4 will be better, especially with the upgrade.

I just can't wait to get hold of the upgraded hardware for the quality of life improvements it will provide to my gaming life in general for the hundreds of games i have in my library, many of which i still haven't touched, including many big hitters like RDR2. The performance leap is astronomical, especially the CPU and obviously SSD. Not long ago i played The Outer Worlds vis GP, not much of an RPG player at all but loved it. It had plenty of depth but not all consuming and needing 100's of hours like some RPG's can be, and put me off. The main negative, like so many games, was loading times especially when selecting fast travel locations. I can't wait to experience games like that with next to zero load times..real game changer. Also things like FH4 loading to get in game, between races, even to get refunded credits for failed auction attempts etc all take too long. This will all be a thing of the past.

For players, often older generation like many of us on here with jobs and kids etc, gaming time is often limited so the more time playing and less loading is all the better.

As for whether worth jumping in day one, that's obviously a personal decision based on a number of factors. Nobody can answer that question for anyone else. For me as above Xbox no brainer because i have hundreds of games in the ecosystem and play on it most days. Yes it'll be cheaper in a year maybe, but the benefits i'll have for that year easily trump the potential saving i might get. Also, traditionally and especially Sony side, later in the generation you'd often get console and game bundles, but with game pass that's rendered irrelevant anyway. Also on that note, if you waited a year to save maybe £50 you might miss out on a number of 3rd party titles that are in GP and the leave during that time, so in reality losing out. GP offers a completely new dynamic this gen and without question the best bargain gaming has ever seen, especially the prices and deals it can be had for. Even after the one off ultra promos you can then get 3 month codes working out about £8/month.

Personally the PS5 isn't something i have any desire to get day one as i'm more invested in Xbox, so will carry on with my slim for now and upgrade that side when i know for sure my current games, again vast and many unplayed, will work BC, alsong with my PSVR and games for that, what benefits there may be etc. I don't trust anything Sony have "hinted" at re BC up to this point. Will probably wait until it either drops, or drops with a bundle worth having, or ideally they increase the SSD size, then i'll most likely bite.
Definitely points that resonate, but if I mentioned to the missus that I was buying xsx to improve my quality of life.......... It might be the end of mine 😀

As you say Gamepass negates the need for a bundle, probably a free month in box as mentioned, and even using the simple route via cdkeys you can get 3 months ultimate game pass for circa £20.

By the time a half decent price move is available, therell be rumours of a hardware upgrade, maybe 2tb etc there'll always be a reason to wait.

Yes, there is risk that a new product has hardware issues, but Microsoft is pumping so much cash in, and we saw from xboxone that a messy launch will set you back, that they can't afford any issues which hopefully means decent QA.

I'm not sure if the OP is experienced in Xbox, but if not, they could always sign up for a month of game pass ultimate now and sample games via android

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom