Is it worth using High Quality SCART cables if you use a SCART switch?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jon Weaver, Apr 11, 2001.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +664
    As my TV only accepts 1 x RGB input, and I have 2 devices that I want RGB from (Dreamcast & DVD) I use a SCART switch.

All my SCART cables are 'normal' quality, and I wonder if its time to get some better quality ones.

The problem is that for me to get a quality cable from the DVD to the TV, will require 2 cables (one from DVD to Switch, one from Switch to TV).. Whilst this isn't a problem (other than the cost), it seems to defeat the object, as the switch is hardly High-Quality.

I guess that any benifit gained by the quality cables, will be lost in the switch.

Is it still worth upgrading the cables?

2. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Unless you can find a high quality switching unit from somewhere, but doubtful.
    The thing about high quality leads into TV's is that the scart socket it reaches in a TV is 'only' plastic with crappy conductors inside anyway. So really the lead provides a good quality signal for as long as poss. to the socket, then it is treated 'badly' as it were from there on in. Unlike high quality source units in HiFi/AV which provide good signal incl. leads all the way to the speakers!!!!!!
    Just something to chew over.
    Personally, If you absolutely have to have a switcher, I wouldn't go mad on the overall lead quality/cost.