1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it worth using high quality leads?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jtorry, Nov 16, 2001.

1. jtorry

jtorry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a 32 ich JVC flat screen (AV32WFT1), a pioneer DV545 and a videologic digitheatre DD. I am using a standard RGB scart to connect the DVD to the TV and the standard coaxial audio lead that came with the digitheatre to connect the decoder to the DVD. My question is whether it is worth buying a high quality scart lead and a high quality optical audio cable? If the answer is I should buy new cables can you make some recomendations. Thanks

Also do people put up with RGB picture shift or do they use SVIDEO?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Hi,

I have the same DVD player and TV as you. There is a small amount of RGB shift but I got rid of most of it by playing around in the service menu.

I am not a great believer in expensive cables and interconnects as whilst they may have their place in top end hifi the need is greatly diminished in home cinema.

I paid about £20 for a fully wired Ixos scart for dvd - tv and a similar amount for the co-axial cable to the amp.

This gives an audible increase in quality over the freebies but I think that much over £20 the law of diminishing returns sets in.

Ian

3. jtorry

jtorry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    how can you access the service menu? What did you change to correct the picture shift?

4. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When i answered your duplicate question in uk.media.home-cinema, i knew someone would know of a way. I didn't expect to see it here though. :rolleyes:

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have forgotten how to access the service menu and adjust for the RGB shift but do a search on uk.media.home-cinema newsgroup for JVC service menu. Read all of the threads as some gave a lot of interesting information and above all BE CAREFUL

David,

Why didn't you expect to see the answer here. I probably found out how to do it on the newsgroup in the first place but prefer lurking here as the newbies are not ritually insulted on this forum

Ian