Is it worth Upgrading?

zibzab

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, hope someone can help me make a couple of informed decisions. :)
I've recently changed quite a bit of my AV gear. Upgraded my Monitor Audio Radius 5.1 to Monitor Audio Silver 7.1 (but with an Arendal 1961 S Sub instead of a Monitor Audio sub). Love the sound - massive difference. I then bought a used Epson projector TW 8100, with a motorised 121" screen. This has transformed the viewing experience completely. Also have a 65" Panasonic OLED for everyday viewing (behind the projector screen). All this is run from a Denon AVR-X3300W receiver.

My issue now, is that the Denon only has a single HDMI out, so I'm currently running the projector straight from my Blu-Ray player (Cambridge Audio CXU) through HDMI2 and Audio into the Denon via HDMI 1 from the player. This obviously limits me to just watching Blu-Rays on the projector unless I change cables each time I want to watch a different source (1st world problems!). So, have a couple of questions:

1. Would upgrading the Denon to the new AVC 3700, 4700 or 6700 would give me an improved sound as well as the extra HDMI outs?
2. Would adding a second sub (1961 S or V) make a huge difference? Love the low end bass.

My room is 5m by 7m with the screens on the 5m wall. Mainly watch movies (blu-rays) with some music streaming (Tidal & Apple).

If you are happy with the sound and video playback you could add a 1x2 HDMI Distribution Amp (Splitter) to the single Output on the AVR.

Adding a second Sub is good if you need to optimise the playback across multiple seating but done badly is just as likely to cause you more issues.

Have a look in the AVF Subwoofer Forum and you will see that simply adding another Sub without the ability to measure and control the multiple Subs can be a real hassle.

If you are keen to improve your system the Projector is possibly the place to look!

Joe

Thanks Joe. I had a brief look at splitters, the cost is obviously significantly lower. I’ll do some more research.

I have read a few topics on second subs. I think I’ll be getting another soon. Love those sounds that are below the audible frequency in movies, but really add to the tension (10-20hz). If I do, it will be another Arendal, just not too sure if I should get the same (S- sealed) or the vented model with lower extension. I have read some articles about using two different model subs.

Regarding the projector, I love it. We’re seated 4m back an the picture is great. If I was to change, it wouldn’t be for 4K, 8K or HDR, but improved motion tracking / 3D (so a non LCD model in future) Obviously black levels are not like a plasma / OLED, but in a dark room they’re better than most LCD/LED TV’s. Colour is great. Not in a rush to change this - it’s my favourite AV purchase ever!
We’re currently buying up everyone’s unwanted 3D blu-rays for £1-£2 each! Movie night every night! :)

Thanks Joe. I had a brief look at splitters, the cost is obviously significantly lower. I’ll do some more research.

I have read a few topics on second subs. I think I’ll be getting another soon. Love those sounds that are below the audible frequency in movies, but really add to the tension (10-20hz). If I do, it will be another Arendal, just not too sure if I should get the same (S- sealed) or the vented model with lower extension. I have read some articles about using two different model subs.

If the splitter works for you which Joe recommended and you wouldn´t upgrade the receiver then consider buying the App Editor as you can do few changes which should lead to better sound overall. I believe it costs 20€.

Moving from X3300W higher model either you would need some connections, features, more channels (5.2.4/7.2.4) for it to be worth it. If you would require more power for high volume (closer to ref volumes) listening then you could add poweramp as the Denon has preouts. Now is poor time to buy receiver due to astronomical high cost. New models should arrive after summer if nothing suprising happens, at least new 3000/4000 serie. X6700H should continue until 2023 at least.

If you crave more impact/tactile sensation for the deepest frequencies you should ideally consider ported subwoofers, especially as you have fairly large room! Sadly it´s not recommended to mix ported (1V) and sealed (1S) sub so this would mean selling the 1S first. There is many benefits with the dual subwoofer route even if you would add second 1S, but the question is do you have free hands regarding where each sub can go? You can put them on front wall close fairly each other to gain more headroom with lower distortion, but depending of your in-room response this might not be wise route if you have some big dips that the 2nd sub would fill but only when placed optimally. That may mean (example) that you have one sub at front left side and the 2nd sub at rear right side. Audioholics did review the 1961 1S and 1V and James mentioned some differences how he felt. Arendal site reviews has also at least one other where these two was compared and the 1V surely gives you more of that earthquake feeling, but it´s quite large box too!

Hi Gasp3621, thanks for your advice.
After looking at splitters, I might get one and see how it goes.
I read that the app doesn’t give much additional functionality, but that was only one review.
Agree about the cost of the receivers at the moment, so I’ll wait, if I upgrade at all. It was mainly for the additional HDMI output.
Might go with another 1S in a couple of weeks.

I’m really happy overall with the sound - just frustrated I don’t have 2 HDMI outs.

Hi Gasp3621, thanks for your advice.
After looking at splitters, I might get one and see how it goes.
I read that the app doesn’t give much additional functionality, but that was only one review.
Agree about the cost of the receivers at the moment, so I’ll wait, if I upgrade at all. It was mainly for the additional HDMI output.
Might go with another 1S in a couple of weeks.

I’m really happy overall with the sound - just frustrated I don’t have 2 HDMI outs.

Listen this. 23:06 forward, just hit play and it should start there. Most people who has bought it feels it`s well worth it as you can limit the correction and the take bbc dip out etc.

Hi Gasp3621, I bought the App and applied the corrections as per the video above. That made a significant improvement to the sound - not that it was bad before. Watched Spectre the other night and the music soundtrack (brass) was brilliant. Everything was crystal clear. :):)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom