Quantcast

Question Is it worth upgrading?

lethalyak

Novice Member
Morning All,
I've recently come into a small amount of money and am thinking about upgrading some of my home cinema kit, but the more i look into it, the more i keep thinking is it worth it?
I currently have an Onkyo 686 AV receiver, tannoy tfx 5.1 system + 2 cambridge audio minx 12 installed at ceiling height for my atmos speakers, an LG Oled E6N 55" TV, and a Sony x700 uhd blu ray player.

Im still very much into buying physical discs so my first upgrade will be the blu ray player. This is largely due to the annoyance that everything on the sony is displayed in Dolby Vision if you dont manually change settings with every disc. Very annoying, even though i know its a bit of a crazy reason. Im upgrading to the panasonic DPUB820.

That leaves me with my question - is it worth upgrading anything else? The AV receiver is only a year old and gives me enough power, so i was thinking about the speakers. I can only really go with satellite speakers as my room isn't really big enough for anything else (i would love some q acoustics 3010i's - but too big). i have been recommended the minx min 22's, but are they really an upgrade to my Tannoys (they are considerably more expensive)? I have roughly £800 to play with.

Any suggestions/thoughts?

razy60

Are you happy with the way it sounds? If yes then the bluray player is enough. If not and size is an issue then possibly the monitor audio mass 5.1..

lethalyak

Novice Member
I am generally fairly happy with the sound, but could do with more impact. But I guess I’m restricted by the size of the speakers more than anything on that front.

razy60

Save your money then.
If you really have an itch then maybe the Onkyo ht588 might work for you.

Top Bottom